Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why do so many kids not like milk anymore?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 01:20 PM

I read plenty of surveys and articles about the fact more and more kids don't like milk, but I do not recall any ever mentioning WHY they don't like it.

And where are they getting their calcium from now, if not from milk? I know broccolli for example is (surprisingly) supposed to be a good source of calcium, but I cannot see a kid who dislikes milk chowing down on a plate of broccolli.

Full disclosure here: I go through a gallon of skim milk about every 3 days.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 04:47 PM

Calcium is added to soy milk and almond milk, isn't it? I have to admit, even though I drink Almond milk (for cereal and shakes) I've never noticed if it has added calcium or not.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 02:11 AM

Maybe because the kids are given too much coke and other sugary drinks from a young age that they develope a dislike for something like milk.  No idea why though.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 02:28 AM

My son will go through a gallon of chocolate milk in a day if we let him. 2% takes him a few days. My daughter is lactose intolerant and goes through a 1/2 gal of soy milk a week. If she drinks normal milk, she has an upset stomach for hours. She does drink too muck coke though. When her braces came off we discovered 14 cavities!

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 02:41 AM

Random bit of useless knowledge: 

Humans are the only mammals that drink milk after being weaned (despite all the mythos behind cats drinking milk, etc... that doesn't happen in nature).  Indeed, many humans simply cannot properly metabolize milk (not even human mothers' milk) after being weaned.  Moreover, the ability to metabolize milk by those humans who can metabolize milk after being weaned is actually a relatively recent genetic mutation -- many believe it is the very latest significant genetic mutation in our species.

What does this have to do with children drinking milk?  Nothing. Except perhaps it raises the question regarding at what age children should stop drinking milk -- and, of course, rely on other, more appropriate sources, regarding their necessary intake of the relevant vitamins and minerals.  Considering that feeding children milk is, in the general case, a substitute for breastfeeding, there is a lot of sound foundation for switching children to these other, more appropriate sources for the relevant vitamins and minerals at about the same time we'd expect to see children no longer breastfeeding.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:00 AM

What to put in cereal then?

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins ">

Malt liquor! (if you've seen var pid = parseInt(3498508); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3498508') ) { $('multiq_3498508').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3498508') ) { $('toggle_post_3498508').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3498508] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:40 AM

My favorite breakfast is my wife's homemade granola mixed with Greek yoghurt.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 05:18 AM

I have see people use beer in my younger years, but I don't think that would go over well at work.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 21 2009 - 05:37 AM

Personally, I never liked the thick, creamy texture of milk. I felt like I was drinking a glass of slime. As a child, I frequently would ask for water when someone would offer me a glass of milk. I also don't like it as chocolate milk or milkshakes.

As an adult, I only use milk for the occasional bowl of cereal and in cooking. I probably haven't had a straight glass of milk since I was 10 years old. I buy it occasionally, but seldom use all of it before it spoils. In fact, I have an unopened quart in my fridge right now that I need to throw away.  Bought it around mid-August and never used any of it.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 06:26 AM

there really is no better match in nature than milk and cookies :) 
i mean, you can't really drink anything other than milk with cookies (except coffee), because cookies themselves are sweet. 

"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 21 2009 - 07:34 AM

I actually drink Milk with pizza! /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

I usually go through a gallon of 1% milk per week or so...

Jay

You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 07:48 AM

Quote:
Personally, I never liked the thick, creamy texture of milk. I felt like I was drinking a glass of slime.

Besides the fat/calorie issue, this is the reason I don't like drinking anything but skim milk nowadays - just too much creeeeeeaminess. It took me awhile to get used to the relatively watery sensation of skim but after a week or so, I didn't notice it anymore (but we keep some whole milk around for cooking purposes; speaking of that: one morning I woke up very early and while eating my cheerios I kept thinking wow, these taste really good this morning. When I stumbled back into the kitchen for seconds, I noticed I had been pouring "milk" from the half-and-half carton. Oops. But that extra fat sure helped the taste!).

Quote:
What does this have to do with children drinking milk?...........

Another of milk's benefits is that it contains a relatively high amount of protein, whey protein if I remember correctly, which a lot of muscle-building supplements contain.

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 07:55 AM

I drink a lot of milk too.  In fact, not sure what I would drink for dinner otherwise.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 08:40 AM

We drink quite a bit of milk.  Me, the wife, and son go through about 5 - 6 gallons a week. On the other hand, a two liter of soda will go stale in our fridge.  A case of soda will last us a few weeks. Mainly because my son doesn't drink soda at all (he's 14).  When he was little, we never gave him soda.  He was probably 5 before he ever tasted it. And then he hated it (he thought it was "spicy").  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif  He still doesn't drink it to this day.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,663 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 21 2009 - 11:20 AM

My wife and I drink a lot of milk (2%), too. A nice tall, cold glass of milk is very refreshing for me. I drink both at breakfast and dinner (unless we are having wine).

On the other hand, I have not had a soda of any kind in over 4 years, and do not miss it at all.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 01:25 PM

Just finished a tall glass of milk with some powdered donettes.  MMMMMMMMMM.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,717 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins View Post

Rice dream works; although it is not as good as milk.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 02:25 AM

Almond Milk tastes better than Rice Milk, IMO.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 05:08 AM

I drink milk, especially with coffee syrup added (thanks Rhode Island!) but my wife hates the stuff.  My kids prefer chocolate milk but will drink the straight stuff if pressed.  Neither boy likes soda which is a blessing.

Xbox Live: mugwumps