Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Two (Blu-ray) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 OFFLINE   PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 11:05 AM

ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#2 of 99 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,631 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for the review, Pat!

Thanks for the clarity regarding the HD versions of Trails and Tribble-ations and More Tribbles, More Troubles. It is unfortunate that there are so few Starfleet Access features. But I agree that over the years, cast and crew may not have anything left to say or they've passed on or subjects have been well covered in other venues. More commentaries on more episodes would have been great. The Okuda's are well versed, as are DC Fontana, Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens and David Gerrold.  

Can't wait to see this set myself! I think the first half of the season is stronger, but the later half has some gems too.

#3 of 99 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,356 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted September 18 2009 - 12:05 PM

thanks Pat!!
guess Ill be buying it yet again !!

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#4 of 99 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted September 18 2009 - 04:11 PM

Nice, and thanks for the review Pat. Just a minor point, they updated the cover art to reflect what "blue" shirts wear. The star on the emblem has been changed to the science insignia. Or at least, that whats been showing up online.

At any rate, i will be getting this on Tuesday! Come one season 3!

#5 of 99 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,631 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 04:40 PM

Rick, I just a did search for images of the updated BD set artwork. I'm really behind. Wow, I didn't expect them to make the arrowhead emblem with the Sciences Division symbol. I may have to update the artwork on my inserts.

According to TVShowsonDVD, this set will feature quite a large number of Easter Eggs. So perhaps a lot more extras will be found there!

#6 of 99 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,470 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 05:07 AM

Can't wait to check these out.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#7 of 99 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 01:56 PM

I watched "The Doomsday Machine" a few weeks back on regular TV and remember being very impressed with the effects for the episode...imho, so much better than the old clunky effects....the machine was almost shark-like in the way it moved.....made it so much more threatening to me.  I can't wait to have this set in my hands so that I can watch it again in 1080p.....

Recently watched- Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek(2009), Game Of Thrones: Season 1, Vault Of Horror, Tales From The Crypt(1972), Paranormal Activity 3, The Purge: Anarchy, Speed, Oldboy(2013), Fright Night 3D(2011), Cosmopolis, Supernatural: Season 3, The Darkest Hour 3D, Scanners, Dracula Untold, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek: Season 2, Band Of Brothers, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2

"Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self-serving, I shall simply say...Good luck."

#8 of 99 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 653 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 03:08 PM

Eager for Tuesday so i can have this in my hands and start savoring each episode in all its hi-def glory.

Doug
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#9 of 99 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,631 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 03:30 PM

The High Def Digest Forums has a thread that links to the Best Buy 9/20/09 Weekly Ad. I did not try the link, but the posts say the Star Trek S2 BD set will be $59.99. That bests the Amazon price of $72.99. That's quite a deal and if list is really $129.99, that's amazing.

I'll keep an eye for Mike's Weekly Round Up to confirm.

#10 of 99 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,675 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 20 2009 - 01:24 AM

^ Yeah, the Best Buy ad says $60 for S2 and The Next Generation movie set is $50.

#11 of 99 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,631 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 03:36 AM

That's extraordinary! To quote Kirk.

What an amazing switch we're seeing of late. Brick and mortor stores are beating on-line pricing now. I checked Amazon out of curiosity after looking at Mike's RoundUp page today. (Thanks Travis, by the way)

The S2 set has dropped now to $68.99, still higher then Best Buy. But the TNG Motion Picture set was not on my radar as much as S2 is. Not bad, $50. Amazon does beat that at $45.99, but you make that up by the shipping charges (if you don't have the free shipping) or the wait time, so it's a wash for me to just get it at Best Buy. A line of thinking I'm sure the BB guys considered.

#12 of 99 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 12:41 AM

So, the "Mobile Blu" extras are ONLY available to iPhone users? Or can you watch them on the disks themselves?

If they are only on the phone, I think this is a bad precedent.

I'm still looking forward to getting the set, though.

#13 of 99 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 01:37 AM

Blu-ray.com and TVShowsOnDVD are both reporting that Season 3 hits December 15.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#14 of 99 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,631 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 03:49 AM

Great news that S3 is out in December!

It's a great year for Star Trek. While it's great to get the entire TOS series within the year and in time for the Holidays. I wonder if this is too quick to release all the films too! I was surprised they didn't stagger the TNG films to next year. But I'm sure that some will disagree! The plan could be to re-issue the films remastered to include the revised Robert Wise CGI version of TMP down the road. And there's still a question of how TNG series will be handled, if at all on BD.

For now, I'm really excited to have TOS in Hi-Def and looking so good, with and without enhanced effects!

#15 of 99 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,919 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

And there's still a question of how TNG series will be handled, if at all on BD.
I'm sure you know, Nelson, First Contact is among the four standalone BD's being released tomorrow, too.  (Is that what you're referring to?)

At any rate, I made up my mind I'd be in for these when I sold my DVD sets.  I'll be very happy on all fronts...when we actually get to watch S2.  :D

#16 of 99 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,631 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:12 AM

Jason, I was referring to Star Trek The Next Generation TV series. As we all know, the issue is how or if they can remaster it for BD since it was edited in video at 480. And if they'd replace the effects with CGI too. 

I've read reports that tests have been done. 

#17 of 99 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,919 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:23 AM

^ Gotcha.  We're both on the same page now.  :)

#18 of 99 OFFLINE   PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie 

So, the "Mobile Blu" extras are ONLY available to iPhone users? Or can you watch them on the disks themselves?

If they are only on the phone, I think this is a bad precedent.

I'm still looking forward to getting the set, though.

I could not get it to work on my PS3, and the way the instructions and the prompts read, it only seems to be available via a downloadable iPhone widget.  They do say they will be expanding it to other phones.  It's frustrating they'd do it when not everybody in the free world has or even wants and iPhone (have I mentioned the Palm Pre? :) )
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#19 of 99 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,836 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 21 2009 - 04:33 AM

I'll be surprised if Amazon doesn't match the Best Buy price on this release. 

But...I AM surprised that they haven't done it already.  I guess we'll see. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 99 OFFLINE   GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 970 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 05:31 AM

Apparently a complete three season pack is already scheduled for Dec 15th
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3451

And here's the potential kicker:
Quote:
 Where No Fan Has Gone Before": the restored, unaired alternate pilot episode

So... does this refer to the long lost NBC Screening version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before"??