-

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• Please log in to reply
4853 replies to this topic

#4541 of 4854 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,646 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 11 2014 - 09:36 AM

Very happy to see a good remaster of The Big House.  The original Archive disc looked like a very old Turner-era transfer.  I thought they were absolutely done doing those since, what? the Four Daughters rerelease over a year ago?

I'll definitely be getting this.  Two international versions is extremely rare for any film outside of a handful of early talkie Laurel & Hardys.

Warner probably used MPI again which does such work for them.  This isn't the same MPI that releases video product like Becket.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4542 of 4854 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:36 AM

I'll get this triple version of The Big House. Comparing international versions is fascinating. See Anna Christie (Garbo, in English, then in German; the German being superior, imo). Same thing with Universal's Dracula in its two versions, the Spanish version being so much sexier and, dare I say, more fluid?

Lubitsch directed The Merry Widow in English and in French. He kept Chevalier and MacDonald in the lead roles, but most of the supporting cast is different. The French version does exist and it just needs to be subtitled. It would fill a gap in the Lubitsch filmography.

#4543 of 4854 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted March 11 2014 - 04:08 PM

I'll get this triple version of The Big House. Comparing international versions is fascinating. See Anna Christie (Garbo, in English, then in German; the German being superior, imo). Same thing with Universal's Dracula in its two versions, the Spanish version being so much sexier and, dare I say, more fluid?

Lubitsch directed The Merry Widow in English and in French. He kept Chevalier and MacDonald in the lead roles, but most of the supporting cast is different. The French version does exist and it just needs to be subtitled. It would fill a gap in the Lubitsch filmography.

I wonder what condition the existing French version of "The Merry Widow" is in.

What of the French dialogue tracks?

I'm guessing Chevalier would do his own French dialogue and that MacDonald would be dubbed.

What of the Musical numbers?

Did they use the original English pre-recordings or were they re-recorded in French (without MacDonald ?)

It certainly would be interesting to see and hear the French version.

Doug.

#4544 of 4854 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted March 11 2014 - 04:36 PM

MacDonald spoke French. No need to dub her dialogue nor her singing voice. All the songs are in French. I haven't watched it through; I guess I should. I just wish it had subtitles.

#4545 of 4854 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,658 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'm guessing Chevalier would do his own French dialogue and that MacDonald would be dubbed.

None of the Hollywood foreign language film versions of the early talkie era (I believe up to 1935?) were ever dubbed.  They actually went through the effort of making the whole movie again except in a different spoken language and often foreign actors and sometimes even had additional content.  It was a superior method of localizing the film to different countries over dubbing and subtitles, but was much more expensive.  MGM was the last studio to continue with this practice until they too went for the cheaper route of subtitling.

#4546 of 4854 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 03:03 PM

While I could have easily missed it, I find no 5 for $50 sale this week for Year Two of the Warner Archive. Does anyone have an idea as to how this will play out? Maybe once a month? My savings account would definitely appreciate a Once A Month Sale. (Oddly enough, I had no problem finding five oldies last week, in spite of all the ones I've already purchased. I hadn't really expected that when I started scrolling through.)

#4547 of 4854 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:05 AM

Well, I guess that I should have waited one more day! Now it's time to see what I might have missed during Year Two ...

• ahollis likes this

#4548 of 4854 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,946 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 01:59 AM

AHEAD OF TODAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT....

Warner Archive Collection New Releases
Warner Archive Collection
WARNER ARCHIVE HOME   •    NEW RELEASES   •   BESTSELLING DVDs   •    FORWARD TO A FRIEND
NEW RELEASES: IN BLU-EST NIGHT Green Lantern: The Complete Animated Series (2011-13)
Starring Chad Everett, Tim Holt, Jack Palance, Jane Alexander, Keanu Reeves, Jason Statham & Kilowog
Not enough info here? Stuff your head with the factoids found in our weekly Warner Archive New Release Podcast to impress your friends and amaze the uninformed! Available on iTunes!
No HD Shall Escape Your Sight
GREEN LANTERN: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES (2011-2013)
GREEN LANTERN: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES (2011-2013) Legendary DC animation architect Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League Unlimited) teams with WB animation vets Sam Register (Batman: The Brave and the Bold), Jim Krieg (Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox) and Giancarlo Volpe (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) for this intergalactic venture into CG glory. Hal Jordan is placed beyond the reach of Oa and his fellow Green Lantern Corpsmen on the edges of the Guardian Frontier aboard the experimental spacecraft the Interceptor in this first animated series starring everyone’s favorite Space Sector 2814 patrolman. Powered by the emerald energy itself, the Interceptor comes equipped with self-aware AI Aya and fan favorite GL Kilowog. Together they must confront the rising menace of the Red Lanterns only to discover an even greater evil that threatens to extinguish all life in the universe. Ably mining the entire GL mythos (especially the ground-breaking Geoff Johns run), the series is packed with all the sci-fi awesome fans could demand, including Guy Gardner, Larfleeze, Tomar-Re, Blue Lantern Saint Walker, the Manhunters and the Anti-Monitor. Grab this double disc, complete 26 episode series collection. It be a delight, in brightest day and blackest night — you have our oath on it, by Oa! 16x9 Widescreen
County Med is Here to Serve
MEDICAL CENTER S4 (1972-73)
MEDICAL CENTER S4 (1972-73) Chad Everett and James Daly lead their hit medical drama into its fourth outing tackling controversial topics while using cutting-edge medicine with a side dose of compassion. Alternative medicine, parapsychology, performance enhancing drugs, “angels of mercy” killers and more are confronted by Dr. Joe and Dr. Lochner alongside a ward full of A-list guest stars. One of those guests, Film Noir Queen Audrey Totter, was on her way to becoming a series regular, thanks to her compelling Nurse Wilcox. Among the other stars showing up at County UMC are The Courtship of Eddie’s Father stars Bill Bixby and Brandon Cruz (in separate episodes), Jim Backus, Stefanie Powers, Celeste Holm, Larry Hagman, Barbara Feldon, John Ritter, Ruth Buzzi, Jessica Walter, Robert Foxworth, Will Geer, George Chakiris, Nancy Walker and William Windom. 6-Disc, 24-Episode Collection. Newly Remastered.
A Real Reel Hero
Wagon Train (1940)/Overland Telegraph (1951)
TIM HOLT WESTERN CLASSICS VOLUME 4 (1940-52) Tim Holt rides again in this action-packed three disc, nine movie collection that gives Western fans a chance to saddle up with Tim across more than a decade’s span of sagebrush sagas. From Wagon Train, the film that crowned Tim a Cowboy King, to some of his final Western adventures in Overland Telegraph and Trail Guide, Holt’s acting dexterity that’s on ample display in his A-list supporting player career, gets plenty of chances to shine. He also larks through screwball comedy Western The Fargo Kid, fights a grim battle against a town of outlaws in Land of the Open Range and even buckles on some costumed adventurer swash in Red River Robin Hood! But no man rides alone for long as Tim is joined by a posse of cool co-stars like Ray Whitley, Lee “Lasses” White, Marjorie Reynolds, Janet Waldo, and “Ukulele Ike” Cliff Edwards. But why waste time jawin’? Let’s ride! Collection includes: Wagon Train (1940), The Fargo Kid (1940), Cyclone on Horseback (1941), Riding the Wind (1942), Land of the Open Range (1942), Thundering Hoofs (1942), Overland Telegraph (1951) and Trail Guide (1952).
Paramounts Back in Print
THE LONELY MAN (1957) Jack Palance and Anthony Perkins star in this Western drama about a gunfighter struggling to reconnect with the estranged son he abandoned years previously. It’s a bond that best be forged soon, since a posse of badmen are close behind. 16x9 Widescreen
JOSEPH ANDREWS (1977) Tony Richardson (Tom Jones) returns to the 18th Century for this ribald and rollicking tale of virtue unrewarded. The aptly named Lady Booby (Ann-Margret) lusts after innocent village foundling Joseph Andrews (Peter Firth) and makes him her footman. Alas, parson protege Andrews has his heart set on innocent Fanny Goodwill…alas for Joseph, that is. 16x9 Widescreen
KING DAVID (1982) Bruce Beresford directs a red hot Richard Gere in this sweeping biblical saga that seeks to root its sling-wielding singing shepherd solidly on the grounds of biblical archaeology. Edward Woodward and Alice Krige co-star. 16x9 Widescreen
TESTAMENT (1983) A powerful post-nuclear paean to the slow disintegration of the survivors of an atomic holocaust, Jane Alexander and William Devane play the heads of the tale’s central family while a very young Rebecca De Mornay and Kevin Costner make some of their earliest film appearances as a troubled couple doing everything they can to survive. 16x9 Widescreen
PERMANENT RECORD (1988) Keanu Reeves stars in this poignant and moving look at the aftermath of teen suicide. When a high school’s perfect boy takes a header off a bluff, his schoolmates, family and teachers are left to struggle with the loss. 16x9 Widescreen
MEAN MACHINE (2001) This riotous across-the-pond reworking of The Longest Yard features all-star footballer (that’s soccer to you, punk) Vinnie Jones and action superstar Jason Statham in this tale of screws against gaolbirds for the goal. 16x9 Widescreen
THE RECKONING (2003) This criminally overlooked medieval murder mystery is simultaneously a thriller, a lesson on the rise of modern drama and a rumination on power and politics. It’s also a corker with an all-star cast — Paul Bettany, Willem Dafoe, Brian Cox, Tom Hardy, Gina McKee and Vincent Cassel. Directed by Paul McGuigan, from the novel Morality Play by Barry Unsworth. 16x9 Widescreen
MORE BIRTHDAY SCREENINGS!
Our 5th Anniversary is next week, and we’re celebrating with screenings in NY and LA. From film noir to Australian horror, there’s a lot of darkness to celebrate!
BAMCinematek in Brooklyn:
WHAT: Raoul Walsh’s The Man I Love (1946) in 35mm starring Ida Lupino — a Curator’s Choice screening!
WHEN: Tues. March 18, 2014 – 4:30PM, 7PM and 9:15PM Click for more info
The Cinefamily in LA:
WHAT: Russell (Highlander) Mulcahy’s Ozploitation horror classic — Razorback (1984) in 35mm! Part of Friday Night Frights. Check out their “very special” trailer!
WHEN: Fri. March 21, 2014 – MIDNIGHT Click for more info
The Egyptian Theatre in LA:
American Cinematheque and the Film Noir Foundation present the 16th annual Noir City: Hollywood — an astounding line-up of jaded gumshoes, femmes fatale and menacing heavies in gloriously gritty black and white running March 21 – April 6.
Selected screenings also available on DVD from Warner Archive
WHAT: Nicholas Ray’s Born to be Bad (1950) starring Joan Fontaine — Also screening the awesome alternate ending Warner Archive unearthed (and available on the DVD)!
WHEN: Sat. March 22, 2014 – 7:30pm Click for more info
WHAT: Southside 1-1000 (1950) (with the Foundation’s new 35mm print) and Roadblock (1951) Double down on your Noir!
WHEN: Sat. March 29, 2014 – 7:30pm Click for more info
Instant Streaming!
Did you say you wanted a more eclectic streaming experience? The Village Voice suggests you check out Warner Archive Instant. Watch on your PC/Mac, iPad, and Roku — including their new Streaming Stick. Try it FREE for 2 weeks!
GREEN LANTERN: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES (2011-2013)
MEDICAL CENTER S4 (1972-73)
TIM HOLT WESTERN CLASSICS VOLUME 4 (1940-52)
THE LONELY MAN (1957)
JOSEPH ANDREWS (1977)
KING DAVID (1982)
TESTAMENT (1983)
PERMANENT RECORD (1988)
MEAN MACHINE (2001)
THE RECKONING (2003)
Warner Archive Instant
SHOP NEW RELEASES
WarnerArchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Oa? I hardly know ya!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=031114WACNRl&ref=EW031814 &utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EWACNR140318

---------------------------------------------------------

© 2014 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4549 of 4854 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,658 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:14 AM

Tim Holt vol 4 was sure a long time coming--the first three volumes were released within a year, but this fourth one took at least two years to come out.  They must have sorted out some serious element issues for this set, likely involving photochemical restoration.

• ahollis likes this

#4550 of 4854 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 01:19 PM

After the long wait for Tim Holt Vol 4, I hope Vol 5 is ready, also now, to release soon.  Vol 5 may only have seven movies.  There are ten Tim Holt RKO westerns left, but  does WAC have the rights to the first three Tim Holt/ Richard Martin movies in the series? They are the three Zane Grey titles that have been released before by Lion's Gate.

• ahollis likes this

#4551 of 4854 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 08:07 AM

i wonder what we will see for memorial day. the naked and the dead would be nice.

#4552 of 4854 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted March 23 2014 - 07:15 AM

Maybe I'm posting on the wrong thread, but I've noticed that THE BIG TREES, the 1952 Color Feature by Warner Brothers, that stars Kirk Douglas seems to be only available on Public Domain discs.  A search on Amazon, and the Warner Archive didn't unearth anything that appeared promising.

Is there any chance the Warner Archive will ever release this, or am I just spitting in the wind, so to speak?  I'm simply tired of playing the crappy looking PD version that we have whenever the mood hits us to give this one a viewing, and would like to see THE BIG TREES on a decent looking Color Print (As opposed to a shabby one!), if possible!

CHEERS!

Tony

#4553 of 4854 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:21 AM

I'm simply tired of playing the crappy looking PD version that we have whenever the mood hits us to give this one a viewing, and would like to see THE BIG TREES on a decent looking Color Print (As opposed to a shabby one!), if possible!

I don't know what PD version of The Big Trees that you own, Tony but the Roan DVD (now OP I believe) while not state of the art quality is better than average looking for a PD title and quite watchable. It was mastered from original Technicolor material (or so the DVD jacket claims). Until a better transfer comes along, it's probably the best version out there.

• Tony Bensley likes this

#4554 of 4854 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 02:08 PM

I don't know what PD version of The Big Trees that you own, Tony but the Roan DVD (now OP I believe) while not state of the art quality is better than average looking for a PD title and quite watchable. It was mastered from original Technicolor material (or so the DVD jacket claims). Until a better transfer comes along, it's probably the best version out there.

Thank you very much for your information, Thomas!

I did see the review for the Roan DVD on Amazon after I made my post.  As this particular title from U.S. Amazon won't ship to my Canadian address, and the price for a new copy on Canadian Amazon is outrageous (Currently $45 Plus!), I may take a chance on ordering from a third party Amazon Marketplace vendor, which I've recently learned the hard way can be a chancy venture for a title that has so many Public Domain issues!

It's too bad that another company, such as the Warner Archive hasn't issued a more recent superior transfer of THE BIG TREES.  This is going to take some serious mulling over on my part!

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. Below are three screenshots from our "Ovation Home Video" DVD, which boasts of "Guaranteed Superior Quality:"

dvd_snapshot_00.00.06_2014.03.23_19.24.46.jpg

dvd_snapshot_00.30.00_2014.03.23_19.25.20.jpg

dvd_snapshot_01.29.00_2014.03.23_19.27.09.jpg

How do these compare with your "Roan" DVD?

#4555 of 4854 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 06:34 PM

How do these compare with your "Roan" DVD?

The Roan DVD definitely has more clarity and the colors are a bit more vivid.

Fox's MOD program has given us a stunning transfer of a popular PD title Beneath The 12 Mile Reef and Warners has given a gorgeous transfer of another PD title The Last Time I Saw Paris so I wouldn't give up hope. The two PD titles I'd most like to see Warners put out are Father's Little Dividend and Life With Father. Here's hoping someone is listening to us!

#4556 of 4854 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,658 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 07:04 PM

From their Facebook posts, the WAC has been intending to release The Big Trees but it turned out the print they had wasn't the complete cut of the film, so they're currently working on restoring it to its full length before proceeding with a transfer.  They may have gotten it straightened out by now.

Life with Father has rights issues and that will hold up any home video release from WB indefinitely until it's cleared up.

#4557 of 4854 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:16 AM

From their Facebook posts, the WAC has been intending to release The Big Trees but it turned out the print they had wasn't the complete cut of the film, so they're currently working on restoring it to its full length before proceeding with a transfer.  They may have gotten it straightened out by now.

Life with Father has rights issues and that will hold up any home video release from WB indefinitely until it's cleared up.

Hi Jo!

I haven't been able to locate the aforementioned Warner Archive information.  However, based on what you've posted, I think that I'll hold off on buying the Roan DVD, which I was already only 50/50 about buying, anyway.  When Warner gets to releasing THE BIG TREES (Hopefully in the not too distant future!), they'll do an initial pressed disc run!

Thank you very kindly for your helpful tip!

CHEERS!

Tony

#4558 of 4854 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,658 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:41 AM

My mistake--I mistook The Big Trees for The Big Sky, both starring Kirk Douglas.

Yes, no news on that one.  I'd go with the Roan DVD too.

• Tony Bensley likes this

#4559 of 4854 ONLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:53 AM

My mistake--I mistook The Big Trees for The Big Sky, both starring Kirk Douglas.

Yes, no news on that one.  I'd go with the Roan DVD too.

Hi Jo!

That's understandable considering the very similar Titles!  It's too bad THE BIG TREES isn't getting the HD treatment, but other Films have had worse treatment!

Thank you for clarifying this for me, Jo.  I expect to be corrected on The Warner Archive Facebook page regarding the inquiry I had just posted for THE BIG TREES.

CHEERS!

Tony

#4560 of 4854 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 10:06 PM

It's a significant downer, but I very highly recommend TESTAMENT. It's the quiet side of THE DAY AFTER, and all the more powerful for being so. This movie got the very young Lucas Haas started on his career, and reminds us what a terrific talent Jane Alexander is. Has an early James Horner score. I have no idea whether this release is a new transfer from the original Paramount edition (which was mediocre), but I suspect it's the same. Still, well worth a look.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users