Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5090 replies to this topic

#4241 of 5091 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted September 21 2013 - 05:16 PM

Just watched Andy Hardy Comes Home (I've never seen it before) and noticed something that took me right out of the movie. Andy Hardy reminiscences about Betsy Booth but the flashback scene is from Babes In Arms! And to make it even more jarring, the word "Patsy" is dubbed over with "Betsy". The dub didn't fit at all. Anybody else catch this?

#4242 of 5091 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 21 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just watched Andy Hardy Comes Home (I've never seen it before) and noticed something that took me right out of the movie. Andy Hardy reminiscences about Betsy Booth but the flashback scene is from Babes In Arms! And to make it even more jarring, the word "Patsy" is dubbed over with "Betsy". The dub didn't fit at all. Anybody else catch this?

I caught it years ago when I saw it on TV. Andy and Betsy were never really girl friend and boy friend. More like brother and sister, so I guess that's why they borrowed a clip from a Mickey-Judy film in which they were actually more "intimate."

#4243 of 5091 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,982 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 21 2013 - 06:22 PM

I caught it years ago when I saw it on TV. Andy and Betsy were never really girl friend and boy friend. More like brother and sister, so I guess that's why they borrowed a clip from a Mickey-Judy film in which they were actually more "intimate."

For some reason I just get the shivers thinking about Mickey and Judy more "intimate"
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4244 of 5091 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,806 posts

Posted September 22 2013 - 09:25 PM

Life Begins For Andy Hardy went pretty close into making Betsy and Andy into a more serious couple, though the scene was very bittersweet.  It seems they went for Babes in Arms to keep the flashback more lighthearted and also considering how much Andy Hardy Comes Home depended on nostalgia fumes to keep it afloat.  I agree the dubbing was terrible.

Andy Hardy Comes Home is so far beneath even the weakest of the mainline MGM series that it doesn't surprise me that they cheated in that manner.  For me, the cheesy stock music tracks did the most to pull me out of the movie though much of the film itself has me mistake it with a made for TV special.

Edited by JoHud, September 22 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#4245 of 5091 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted September 23 2013 - 03:45 PM

Even though I did enjoy it, I agree that it had a tv movie feel to it. It seemed more like a tv pilot for a tv series. There's no way it would have succeeded as a continuing movie series.

#4246 of 5091 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,835 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 09:08 AM

http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0lEGgqr-Cxt4mh22hrUxl-gxU=0
Posted Image
Posted Image WARNER ARCHIVE HOME  •   NEW RELEASES  •  BESTSELLING DVDs  •   FORWARD TO A FRIEND Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
OF HUMAN HEARTS (1938) James Stewart had one of his first major starring roles in this Ante-and-Bellum family saga about a prideful son’s feud with his preacher father. Scorning at his father’s life of poverty and self-sacrifice, Jason Wilkins (Stewart) pursues success as a surgeon in the North before the Civil War intervenes to teach Jason the true cost of neglect thanks to an executive-in-chief intervention. Walter Huston plays the padre who tries to teach his headstrong scion the importance of sacrifice, while Beulah Bondi plays the mother whose love knows no bounds. Beulah would go on to play Stewart’s mother four more times, including an episode of The Jimmy Stewart Show, now available for streaming on Warner Archive Instant. Co-starring John Carradine, Guy Kibbee, Charles Coburn, Ann Rutherford and legendary TV producer-to-be Gene Reynolds. Newly Remastered
VIVACIOUS LADY (1938) Ginger personally selected Jimmy Stewart to play her romantic co-star in this riotous romance, and he proves to be the perfect man for the job. When a sizzling night club singer (Rogers) romances and weds a buttoned-down botany professor (Stewart) over the course of a single evening, sparks and subterfuge ensues. Stars start crossing against the newlyweds when they travel to Morgan’s moss-backed college town to break the news to Morgan’s disapproving family (Beulah Bondi and Charles Coburn) but can’t bring themselves to do it forcing the pair to conduct their marriage incognito. Director George Stevens’ first outing as a producer is a delight. Newly Remastered
NO TIME FOR COMEDY (1940) James Stewart’s rich gifts for drama, romance and comedy already propelled him on a meteoric rise when he was paired with the very lively and very lovely Rosalind Russell in this screwball classic set amidst the bright lights of Broadway. Russell plays the acting gal who knows it all while Stewart is the hick from the sticks with a flair for the funny. It’s love at first line reading for the pair but when a wanna-be muse (Genevieve Tobin) convinces Stewart’s comedy king he should try his hand at serious drama, the romance hits the rocks. Charles Ruggles plays the cynical industrialist spouse of the drama wannabe that squares up the triangle. William Keighley directs with a script by master scribes Julius and Philip Epstein (Casablanca) from the hit play by S. N. Behrman.
Posted Image
Posted Image
BRANDED (1950) This big screen adaptation of Max Brand’s Montana Rides!finds celluloid cowboy icon Alan Ladd donning the boots of Choya, a gunfighter comprised of complicated ethics. Choya gets roped into a scheme to impersonate a wealthy rancher’s long lost son — which works — until he starts to fall for his "sister." The shame becomes too much for Choya to bear, so he sets out to make-up for the wrong he has done. With Mona Freeman, Charles Bickford, and Robert Keith, directed by Rudolph Maté.
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE (1958) Too often dismissed as a retread of the paranoid cold war classic, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I Married a Monster from Outer Space is a classic creeper in its own right, remixing cold war chills with post-nuclear family anxiety along with a nod to seminal Sci-Fi show, It Came From Outer Space. Newlywed Marge Farrell (Gloria Talbott) grows increasingly alarmed over the changes in her new husband Bill (Tom Tryon), who’s been acting stranger and stranger since their wedding night. Determined to find out what’s happening to her man, Marge stumbles onto a terrifying plan and now must convince someone — anyone — to believe her…
THE ADVENTURERS (1970) Troubled playboy Dax (Bekim Fehmiu) uses romance as a stepping stone to success… all while scheming to bring vengeance on those who once wronged him and his family. A Monte Cristo for the jet-set, Candice Bergen, Olivia de Havilland, Ernest Borgnine, Rossano Brazzi, Charles Aznavour and more star in this lavish adaptation of the lurid Harold Robbins pot-boiler, under the direction of Lewis Gilbert.
THE BIG BUS (1976) Ahead of its kind pre-cursor to cinema satires like Airplane!, this disaster film spoof is a sleeper well-worthy of rediscovery. The Big Bus depicts the doomed (spoiler alert!) maiden New York to Denver journey of The Cyclops, the world’s first nuclear-powered bus. With Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, and John Beck. Also with Rene Auberjonois, Ned Beatty and Bob Dishy. And José Ferrer, Ruth Gordon and Harold Gould. Oh, we almost forgot Larry Hagman, Sally Kellerman and Richard Mulligan, Lynn Redgrave, Stuart Margolin, Howard Hesseman and Vic Tayback, too! Directed by James Frawley, written by Lawrence J. Cohen and Fred Freeman.
Posted Image
THE EVENING STAR (1996) Shirley MacLaine reprises the character of Aurora Greenway in this follow-up to the smash-hit and award-strewn Terms of Endearment. The next generation confronts Aurora with as many challenges as ever, as she tries her best to raise her beloved daughter’s rebellious and troubled brood. With Bill Paxton, Miranda Richardson, Marion Ross and Juliette Lewis. Directed by Robert Harling.
Posted Image
FALL TO GRACE (2013) Alexandra Pelosi depicts the extraordinary journey of ex-New Jersey Governor Jim McGreevey in this remarkable documentary. From one of the worst political scandals of the decade and his outing as a closeted gay man, to his life’s "second act" and its spiritual quest where he studies to become an Episcopal priest, McGreevey’s journey is one of redemption and transformation. This is a true tale of second chances, which McGreevey says everybody deserves. "No one should be defined by the nadir of their existence," he says. "That shouldn’t define the entirety of their narrative."
Posted Image
Los Angeles! Join @Cinefamily on 10/2 for a rare treat: Lon Chaney in The Unholy Three (1925) presented in 35mm with live musical accompaniment! Kick off this season of horrors than with "The Man of 1000 Faces" playing a villainous ventriloquist in a startling film directed by the maestro of the bizarre, Tod Browning (Freaks). For info and tickets
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
WarnerArchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Stewart Goes to Hollywood
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0924WACNRDml&ref=EW0924D

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4247 of 5091 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,835 posts

Posted September 24 2013 - 09:11 AM

Wow.  The Big Bus.  Haven't heard of that film since early days of cable tv.

A film pulled out of oblivion.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4248 of 5091 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted September 24 2013 - 03:53 PM

I believe TBB was the last one of ones who got removed from the pre-order page from a while ago. Since WA's facebook said Space Stars was finished the other week, i think this may be the fallout of the schedule mix up, hence why some of these were available for pre-order then pulled and then to return on a random day.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#4249 of 5091 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,835 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 08:24 AM

AHEAD OF TODAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT....

http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0qkGgqr-CxlFGh229PF_Y-gxU=0
Posted Image
Posted Image WARNER ARCHIVE HOME  •   NEW RELEASES  •  BESTSELLING DVDs  •   FORWARD TO A FRIEND Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (1946) At last, this surreal horror suspense classic crawls onto DVD! Robert Florey directs Peter Lorre in this definitive “Phantom Limb” shocker in which the inhabitants of an isolated villa are seemingly stalked by the hand of a dead pianist and this hand won’t stop killing until it gets its revenge! Lorre, as the pianist’s put-upon, occult obsessed secretary, is as sublime as ever. Robert Alda plays a grifter/arranger and Andrea King plays the object of desire for both man and ghost. Screenplay by horror master Curt Siodmak, with story suggestions by the legendary Luis Buñuel, and a peerless score from Warner Bros.’ resident maestro, Max Steiner. NYC fans: see below for a rare screening! Newly Remastered
NIGHTMARE HONEYMOON (1974) The 70s saw a slew of twisted revenge thrillers thanks to the grindhouse breakout success of Wes Craven’s Last House on the Left as demonstrated by Nightmare Honeymoon’s poster’s announcement, “Thank Heavens It’s Only a Movie!” The aptly named Dack Rambo plays a Vietnam vet whose honeymoon turns horrific thanks to the ministrations of a psychotic hood (Nichols’ John Beck). But this psycho is not the only trained killer on the streets of New Orleans, and the war hero husband embarks on a private war. Also stars Pat Hingle and Rebecca Dianna Smith. Adapted from the book Deadly Honeymoon by crime czar Lawrence Block, directed by Elliot Silverstein (Cat Ballou, Tales from the Crypt). 16x9 Widescreen, Newly Remastered
Special Feature: Contains both the Not Rated Alternate Theatrical Version and the Not Rated Alternate TV Version.
CASPER’S HALLOWEEN SPECIAL (1979) Hanna-Barbera takes the Friendly Ghost on a Halloween romp in this classic TV special. It’s Halloween and Casper leaps at the chance to experience the delights of the night “just like a real boy.” It’s trick or treat time for Casper — the treats in the form of a gang of orphan kids who accept Casper as one of their own, and the tricks from Hairy Scary and his ghostly gang who bedevil the hapless urchins. Can Casper save the night for his new pals? The answer may lie with Hairy Scary himself…
Special Holiday Bonus Feature: The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn’t (1972) Learn the secret history of the first Thanksgiving as Jeremy Squirrel braves the wilderness to save a lost pilgrim boy and his Native American playmate on the eve of the first feast in this half-hour animated TV holiday classic.
Posted Image
THE MENTALIST: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON (2008-09) On BLU-RAY! Follow the cases of Patrick Jane and the CBI as they were meant to be seen — in arresting High Definition! Simon Baker stars as the sly, acerbic and oh-so-damaged celebrity psychic Patrick Jane whose hubris in taunting serial killer Red John cost him his family. Acknowledging his supposed paranormal abilities were merely his own intense powers of observation and a deep understanding of human psychology, Jane brings the con to consultant as he aids the California Bureau of Investigation. But no matter how many criminals he catches, Patrick never forgets his central goal: Find Red John. Co-starring Robin Tunney and created by Bruno Heller.
Special Features: Evidence of a Hit Series — Interviews with the creators, directors and cast; Cracking the Crystal Ball: Mentalist Vs. Psychic — The producers, directors, cast, and real-life detectives, mentalists and police psychics discuss the reality of psychic gifts: Surveillance Video: Gag Reel.
Posted Image
Posted Image
THE BOWERY BOYS COLLECTION: VOLUME THREE (1948-1949) The third volume of the complete Bowery Boys film collection contains many milestone moments along with more mirth and malaprops than you can swing a crumpled fedora at! Moving from the “Gabe Dell and the gangsters” Bowery Boys of the 40s all the way to Huntz Hall headlining in the late 50s, we bid a fond farewell to beloved Bernard Gorcey who died suddenly after completing Dig That Uranium. Son Leo (Slip) would depart the series shortly thereafter, leaving Hall to carry the comedy alongside new boy Duke (Stanley Clements). But allow us to regurgitate one salient pint — Slip, Sach, Duke, Louie and the boys will be back for another round in volume 4! Newly Remastered
Volume Three contains:
Angels’ Alley (1948) The Boys look back to their “Dead End” roots as the 40s wind down, complete with gangsters, urchins and two-fisted Fathers (O’Hanlon in this case).
Jinx Money (1948) It’s time for a suspenseful trip to pulp land, as the boys discover a cursed bundle of loot and face the eerie menace of “the Umbrella.”
Angels in Disguise (1949) Sach and Slip take a wrong turn and end up trapped inside a full blown piece of Film Noir! Shadows, alleys, murderous thugs, and best of all — Slip provides a megaton of malaprops in his hard boiled first person narration.
Feudin’ Fools (1952) This prime piece of the “What’s the matter with Sach?” stories sees Horace Debussy Jones inherit a parcel of land right in the middle of feudin’ territory.
Jalopy (1953) Sach the chemical king accidentally cooks up a superfuel just as Slip is heading off to the races.
Paris Playboys (1954) It’s Huntz Hall squared as the UN discovers that Sach is the double for a missing French scientist, and sends him to Paris to flush the scientist out.
Dig that Uranium (1956) The boys and Louie head out west where they encounter crooks and king cowboy Raymond Hatton — Monogram Nevada Jack fans take note!
Crashing Las Vegas (1956) Leo Gorcey’s swan song to the series sees him go out in style as he guides a suddenly savant Sach through the gambling dens of Vegas.
Hot Shots (1956) Sach and Duke take charge of a pre-teen TV star. Guest starring Inspector Henderson himself, Robert Shayne!
Spook Chasers (1957) The Boys go full on Scooby and foil a plot of ghost-impersonating gangsters. There’s even traps and hidden loot!
Looking for Danger (1957) Bowery Boys go the retcon route as we discover Duke and the Boys serving overseas and going undercover as Nazis during World War II.
Up in Smoke (1957) It’s Sach versus the Devil — but pity the demon.
Posted Image
Attention North America’s Largest City! Warner Archive’s Ambassadors from the Left Coast will be arriving in your harbors for 5 days of screenings, conventions and DVD giveaways like never before. See you in the funny papers!
Thurs. Oct 10 – Join us at BAMcinématek for a rare 35mm screening of The Beast with Five Fingers (1946). Note: Contrary to any rumors, dismembered limbs will not be crawling around the theater!
Fri. Oct 11 – We’ll be at the Paley Center celebrating the release of Batman: The Brave and the Bold on Blu-ray with the voice of Batman, Diedrich Bader (Office Space), producer James Tucker, award-winning dialogue director Andrea Romano for a Bat-tastic night to remember.
Sat. Oct 12 – Stop by our New York Comic Con panel, Hanna-Barbera and the Designs of Alex Toth and learn about the man who brought you the designs of many Saturday Morning favorites including Space Ghost, The Herculoids, The Mighty Mightor, Shazzan and Thundarr.
Sun. Oct. 13 – Warner Archive Presents: Almost Forgotten TV Heroes with guests writer/artist Jerry Ordway and DC’s Mike Carlin where we’ll be shining a flashlight in the corners of TV’s past on some genuine treasures.
Posted Image
Be sure to check out our new showcase, Vincente Minnelli Directs, featuring the master craftman’s comedies, dramas and musicals from the 40s through the 60s. Discover his signature style of quality and ease that’s evident in every kind of genre cinema he undertook. Try it Free for 2 Weeks!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
WarnerArchive.com

The Pinochle of Fright!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=1001WACNRAml&ref=EW1001A

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein

#4250 of 5091 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,239 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 01 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'll grab the Bowery Boys and Beast with Five fingers once they're offered by Movies Unlimited.

#4251 of 5091 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted October 01 2013 - 12:24 PM

I wish Warners had issued The Mentalist on Blu from the start.

#4252 of 5091 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 01 2013 - 03:47 PM

Does anyone know if the Bowery Boys Vol. 3 will also be pressed DVD's as opposed to DVD-r's ?

Edited by LouA, October 01 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#4253 of 5091 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,806 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 04:24 PM

From the product page 

Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand

#4254 of 5091 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 873 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 04:40 PM

Been waiting for Beast with Five Fingers for quite some time now . I ordered the Beast and Bowery Boys 3 without waiting for a sale . 

#4255 of 5091 OFFLINE   Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 07:24 AM

Quite a letdown to see "MURDER" in the headline but no new film noir being announced.

#4256 of 5091 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 686 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted October 02 2013 - 07:31 AM

The Beast is a definate buy, but I too was looking forward to more film noir.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#4257 of 5091 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 873 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:16 PM

Received Vivacious Lady today from WBA . Watched it tonight . My copy was defective . The picture froze after 80 min of a 90 min movie . Tried all the usual fixes with no results . I hate when you get defective discs . Oh well I guess I call WB shop tomorrow and get a replacement . Bummer !  :angry:

#4258 of 5091 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,982 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 02 2013 - 09:08 PM

Received Vivacious Lady today from WBA . Watched it tonight . My copy was defective . The picture froze after 80 min of a 90 min movie . Tried all the usual fixes with no results . I hate when you get defective discs . Oh well I guess I call WB shop tomorrow and get a replacement . Bummer ! :angry:

When I get a WAC disc, the first thing I look at is the DVD tracks. I'd there is a blemish the I immediately play the disc and sure enough it freezes at that point. If no blemish then I play when time allows and it works This has not failed yet.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4259 of 5091 OFFLINE   Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 04:56 AM

The only defective discs I've been dealing with in recent months have come from TCM/Sony.......even though they were (shock of shocks) 'pressed'.

#4260 of 5091 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,412 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 02:27 PM

The only defective discs I've been dealing with in recent months have come from TCM/Sony.......even though they were (shock of shocks) 'pressed'.

Some of my pressed discs from Warners have proved defective this year upon rewatching them. I've had to replace the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland box set and the Myrna Loy and William Powell box sets because certain titles in the collection would not play. Presenting Lily Mars also wouldn't play any longer though the title has since shown up as a MOD in the Warner Archives. The most recent was the noir double bill of Act Of Violence and Mystery Street. It plays Mystery Street okay but it won't play Act Of Violence. Meanwhile I can't remember the last time a MOD wouldn't play, it's been several years.

So much for the pressed vs. MOD longevity argument ...LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users