Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4702 replies to this topic

#4201 of 4703 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,287 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 07:39 AM

About 6-8 months ago on their Facebook paged they stated it was an elements issue and they planned to start work on it soon.

Nothing new posted on it since then that I am aware of.

What is the issue with the naked and the dead? Is it rights or an elements issue?

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#4202 of 4703 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 987 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 02:01 PM

i believe warner also owns the rights to target zero with richard conte.

#4203 of 4703 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted August 28 2013 - 03:57 PM

About 6-8 months ago on their Facebook paged they stated it was an elements issue and they planned to start work on it soon.

Nothing new posted on it since then that I am aware of.

Good to know they are working on it . Hopefully we'll see it in the not too distant future .

• ahollis likes this

#4204 of 4703 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 30 2013 - 09:41 AM

I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases.  If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD?

I'd rather see titles that have never seen a release before even if they *are* overpriced.

• Rod J and Professor Echo like this

#4205 of 4703 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,075 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 30 2013 - 07:33 PM

I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases. If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD?

I'd rather see titles that have never seen a release before even if they *are* overpriced.

Big Lots was not authorized to sell them at those $4 prices and we're subsequently sued by Warner for doing so, IIRC.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

• ahollis likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4206 of 4703 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 30 2013 - 08:11 PM

Big Lots was not authorized to sell them at those $4 prices and we're subsequently sued by Warner for doing so, IIRC.

Yes. Those discs were overstock due to less than anticipated sales and Warner contracted with an outside company to have them destroyed. The company violated their contract and sold them to Big Lots and other close out stores.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4207 of 4703 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 08:15 PM

POPULAR

I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases.  If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD?

It's a good deal for people who want an OOP title, only to find, after scouring the Web for a title, that even used copies go for exorbitant prices. Just an example: A Song Is Born: the cheapest from any Amazon Marketplace seller is $46, after which they go to $70 and on up. On sale, Archive titles can go as low as $10. By now we all know (or should know) that creating and maintaining an inventory of low-selling pressed discs isn't an economically favorable strategy. So going MOD is a boon for collectors, given the alternative.
  • Randy Korstick, Robin9 and SeanAx like this

#4208 of 4703 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 30 2013 - 09:08 PM

BOMBA - JUNGLE BOY VOLUME 2 looks great and the final three titles are anamorphic Widescreen. Another film series completed.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4209 of 4703 FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 02:58 AM

Just saw a pre-order on the Warner Archive page for  "William Powell at Warner Brothers".  This will be out in mid-September.  Four titles all from the early 1930's include: "The Key"....."High Pressure"....."The Road to Singapore"......"Private Detective 62".    Price : $39.95.

#4210 of 4703 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yes. Those discs were overstock due to less than anticipated sales and Warner contracted with an outside company to have them destroyed. The company violated their contract and sold them to Big Lots and other close out stores.

That was for those TVonDVD seasons a few years back.  The films have all been "overstock" and have shown up at many such vendors both BM/online.

#4211 of 4703 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:37 AM

It's a good deal for people who want an OOP title, only to find, after scouring the Web for a title, that even used copies go for exorbitant prices. Just an example: A Song Is Born: the cheapest from any Amazon Marketplace seller is $46, after which they go to $70 and on up. On sale, Archive titles can go as low as $10. By now we all know (or should know) that creating and maintaining an inventory of low-selling pressed discs isn't an economically favorable strategy. So going MOD is a boon for collectors, given the alternative.

Yes, it is nice if you missed out on the pressed run.  But the problem as I see it is those titles should have a *maximum* price of ~$10.  After all, the remastering/authoring/licensing (if any) has already been done for the pressed version(s) so there should be no "up front" costs to recoup.  I've maintained since the program began that the "sale" prices really should be the *everyday* prices on such titles.

• Professor Echo likes this

#4212 of 4703 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:57 AM

That was for those TVonDVD seasons a few years back. The films have all been "overstock" and have shown up at many such vendors both BM/online.

There were both TV series cartoon series and movie box sets. The box sets included Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, musicals Stanly Kubrick, gangsters and many others. I was amazed at the number of cartoon series that were in that bunch.

They sued IWMB, Inc for 10 million. They were to destroy 2 million units of which close to 1 million ended up at Big Lots and other close out stores.

They wanted these destroyed at the height of the recession when Circuit City was failing and the Brick and Mortar stores were struggling. The huge age of DVD sales was over and these units were sitting around gathering dust and more than likely still be sitting there today. In business good decisions are made and bad ones are made, things change and its hard to blame for decisions made four years ago when models change daily.

#4213 of 4703 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 987 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 08:52 AM

i do believe that warner owns the rights to the lighthorsemen. i would love to see that movie released.

#4214 of 4703 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,467 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 12:31 PM

Just saw a pre-order on the Warner Archive page for  "William Powell at Warner Brothers".  This will be out in mid-September.  Four titles all from the early 1930's include: "The Key"....."High Pressure"....."The Road to Singapore"......"Private Detective 62".    Price : $39.95.

Very nice.  An interview last year stated that WB's vault print of The Key was too damaged to use, turned to the Library of Congress and discussed the time consuming process of clearing that red tape for an eventual WAC release.  Glad to see The Key will be coming this year and other WB precoders starring Mr. Powell.

Edited by JoHud, August 31 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#4215 of 4703 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 998 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 02:17 PM

Great news on the William Powell titles.

I'd love to see the Warner Archive rescue the 1935 William Powell film Escapade from  whatever legal entanglements have rendered it unseen and completely obscure. It was also Luise Rainer's first MGM film.  

Perhaps they can get to it after someday rescuing Joan Crawford's Letty Lynton (1932).

#4216 of 4703 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted September 01 2013 - 02:31 PM

I was told Letty Lynton will fall into public domain in 2025. That's just a dozen years away!

Edited by bujaki, September 01 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#4217 of 4703 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 03 2013 - 11:26 AM

I saw the rep from the Warner Archive at the Labor Day weekend's Cinecon convention.  He said there was nothing to be read into the fact that the current quarter has been slow in the release of new titles and heavy with previously pressed discs getting a re-release.  It was just the luck of the schedule.   They have no plans to slow down the release of DVD-Rs in favor of the new streaming service and have, in fact, been worried that the buying public may mistakenly think so.  He also said the first quarter of 2014 will be extremely heavy with new titles.

They are working diligently to iron out the rights issues holding up "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" but was less optimistic about "Letty Lynton"'s issues getting resolved anytime soon.

#4218 of 4703 PODER

PODER

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 11:33 AM

Rob ... thanks for the report! With no new releases, due to the holiday week-end, I'm hoping we may see some exciting goodies to start off the 2013 Fourth Quarter!

#4219 of 4703 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 03 2013 - 11:45 AM

Rob ... thanks for the report! With no new releases, due to the holiday week-end, I'm hoping we may see some exciting goodies to start off the 2013 Fourth Quarter!

He did hint that the fourth quarter is apt to be another slow one.  He kept saying look to the first quarter of 2014 for the deluge of new titles.

#4220 of 4703 williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 04:57 PM

He did hint that the fourth quarter is apt to be another slow one.  He kept saying look to the first quarter of 2014 for the deluge of new titles.

Well, that's ok; my wallet could use the rest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users