Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5309 replies to this topic

#4021 of 5310 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,055 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 07:56 PM

IT"S A SMALL WORLD has been available as a WAC DVD-R for a couple of years now.

Huh, you're right.  Don't know how I missed that...

#4022 of 5310 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 11 2013 - 12:06 AM

"Born to Dance" is still in-print on regular pressed DVD (the third volume of Warners' "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory")...  Will this be a revised print?

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4023 of 5310 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,985 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 04:47 PM

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 5/7/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?03EGgqr-CyONmh2oD5D-degxU=0
Posted Image
Posted Image WARNER ARCHIVE HOME  •   NEW RELEASES  •  BESTSELLING DVDs  •   FORWARD TO A FRIEND Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
SINCERELY YOURS (1955) Long before HBO took us Behind the Candelabra (thanks to the talents of Messrs. Soderbergh, Douglas and Damon) Władziu Valentino Liberace was a household one-name superstar, thanks to his smash hit syndicated TV series and Las Vegas revue, when Warner Bros. cast him in this remake of the George Arliss vehicle, The Man Who Played God. Under the stewardship of veteran camera hand Gordon Douglas, Liberace was backed-up by a first-rate supporting “string” section featuring Dorothy Malone, Joanne Dru and William Demarest. Mixing melodrama and music, Sincerely Yours depicts a maestro facing a future sans music, while his fiancée is finding romance with another. So what’s a fate-tossed bravura showman to do? Lip-read and interfere in his neighbors’ lives, that’s what! Liberace performs a score of songs in the film, rendering the cost of admission musically moot, including an extended nightclub scene that captures the lightning in a bottle that was Liberace live on stage complete with sighing spinsters. Newly Remastered 16x9 WIDESCREEN
Posted Image
THE MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION VOLUME SIX: JIMMY WAKELY Monogram’s ace cowboy crooner (and true country crossover pop star) Jimmy Wakely rides and warbles across a blistering six-gun sextet that captures two phases of his screen career. First up, we draw a pair of aces with two films where Jimmy shares the screen with John “Dusty” James and Lee “Lasses” White. Then we get a quartet featuring the comic turns of prolific number two man, Dub “Cannonball” Taylor. As an added bonus, Whip Wilson makes his Monogram debut alongside Jimmy in 1948’s Silver Trails. Collection includes:Riding the Dusty Trail aka Riders of the Dawn (1945) Three cowpokes and a baby! Lonesome Trail (1945) Bandits try to steal an election — and an entire town! The Rangers Ride (1948) Civil war vets take on a secret police state! Range Renegades (1948) Western royalty Jennifer Holt is the evil mastermind!Silver Trails (1948) Hear the crack of the Whip!Brand of Fear (1949) One of Wakely’s best — with superb versions of “There’s a Rainbow Over the Range” and “Cool Water.” Remastered from the best available 35mm film elements.
Posted Image
STAMPEDE (1949)It’s a full-house of Western wonder as Rod Cameron, Gale Storm and Johnny Mack Brown team up for this tale of water rights and gunfights. When settlers arrive at the town of Blackwell, Arizona they discover that the McCall brothers (Rod Cameron and Don Castle) control the water, and the cattlemen aren’t inclined to share. Rebuffed by the sheriff (Johnny Mack Brown), one fiery tempered settler (Gale Storm) takes justice — and a long gun — into her own hands. Directed by prolific phenom Lesley Selander with a script co-written by a (very) young Blake Edwards.
SHORT GRASS (1950) Lesley Selander rides again, in this oater that re-teams Rod and Johnny Mack. This time ’round Rod plays a drifter who fails to steer clear of cordite-flavored trouble after falling hard for a rancher’s daughter (Cathy Downs). Framed for a robbery and shot in the back, the drifter gives the ill-gotten goods to the rancher (Stanley Andrews) before fleeing. Returning half a decade later, he finds the rancher murdered, the daughter married to a lush, and a Marshall (Johnny Mack Brown) mooning over the lady. Also features Alan Hale, Jr.
WILD STALLION (1952) Following the murder of his parents during an Indian raid, a young boy (Orley Lindgren) becomes obsessed with his pet white colt that escaped during the raid. Raised on an army post, the boy becomes a wild horse hunter and continues his quest for his lost pet who’s grown into a magnificent white stallion that leads a pack of wild horses. An early production from the legendary Walter Mirisch, starring Ben Johnson and a trio of future TV titans — Edgar Buchanan, Hayden Rorke, and Hugh Beaumont.
Posted Image
RIDER ON A DEAD HORSE (1962) Allied Artists continues to step into the New Westerns of the 1960s with this six-gun saga that mixes seedy with its oats. Three prospectors (John Vivyan, Bruce Gordon and Charles Lampkin) bury their gold to protect it from Apache attack. No sooner than you can say “Sierra Madre”, greed turns the trio into a killer, a victim, and a corpse. But unfortunately for the killer, only the man he left for dead knows the way back to the secret cache. Also stars Kevin Hagen and Lisa Lu. 16x9 WIDESCREEN
Posted Image
Have you checked out our new streaming service WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANT? Just this week, we’ve added even more movies and TV shows that stream instantly to your Mac, PC or Roku-connected TV for a monthly subscription. Visit instant.warnerarchive.com and get a free two week trial! Interested in receiving our new semi-weekly What’s On Instant Newsletter? Sign up here!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

www.warnerarchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Ride ’Em, Maestro!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0514WACNRbEml&ref=EW0514B

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4024 of 5310 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 963 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted May 13 2013 - 06:25 PM

Ah, Sincerely Yours. I've been waiting for this one.  Hopefully, it's a nice transfer and disc.

#4025 of 5310 OFFLINE   Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 07:09 PM

There are a ton of good titles only at WAC Instant like Hurricane Smith, Candidate Widescreen, Lean on Me Widescreen, Great Santini Widescreen, and Jimmy Stewart Show to name a few. I hope this aren't some only instant exclusive. I don't want WAC to go streaming, I want a real media disc. Hopefully these will come to the WAC on MOD disc soon. I've been wanting to see all of those properly for years! I've never seen the Jimmy Stewart Show and would really love to have it. I bought Hawkins and really enjoyed it. Also been hoping to replace my fullframe dvd of Lean on Me for years.

#4026 of 5310 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,544 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted May 13 2013 - 08:25 PM

Strange Programming:

In it's initial Australian suburban and regional Cinema engagements during the early 50s "SINCERELY YOURS" was doubled up with "ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK"  :blink:

I went with my rowdy Teenage Buddies  to see "Rock Around The Clock" five times and had to endure "Sincerely Yours" (which was run first) on four occasions.

We just stayed in the lobby until interval the 5th time.  :popcorn:

Because the cinemas running this miss-match had an audience full of Rockers, :drum:  Liberace copped a lot of boos, heckles and

jeers.

(Don't tell anyone but I secretly enjoyed "Sincerely Yours") ;)

Doug.

Edited by Doug Bull, May 13 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#4027 of 5310 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted May 18 2013 - 05:23 AM

While not (and probably never) officially stated, a lot of people are still leaning the major reason they are putting some of the things not on DVD yet on the streaming service is to help raise money to fix some of the problems they have to tackle before DVD release. In some cases we should remember in contract language land, streaming counts the same as television distribution. Hence forth shows with music/rights/issues preventing DVD release are free in the clear for streaming.

WA is clearly a company that thinks longterm so i fully expect some of those membership fees for that streaming service are probably going to good use. Especially given WA's model is probably one of the few companies on the planet we can feel pretty safe being optimistic about. Since at the rate they are going as long as they don't go out of business they'll probably have a whole lot of the library available to the public via MOD. It's kind of crazy to really look at how much they have already gotten too when the program hasn't even hit the 5 year mark yet.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#4028 of 5310 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 02:49 PM

Streaming counts the same as TV distribution?

I find that hard to believe. Streaming is on demand. Like PPV. TV is programmed.

#4029 of 5310 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 07:12 PM

Streaming counts the same as TV distribution?

I find that hard to believe. Streaming is on demand. Like PPV. TV is programmed.

Yes, but streaming is essentially a "broadcast" just like TV and PPV or VOD are, hence the classification. 

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#4030 of 5310 OFFLINE   MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Second Unit

• 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted May 20 2013 - 09:01 AM

"broadcast" is a much better word that i honestly should have used. But either way point still stands the older agreements that need clearance for DVD/Blu don't plague the option to stream. Making it a perfect "in the mean time" thing (and on top of that the idea a lot of us think it's also a motive to help raise up more money towards fixing those problems)

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#4031 of 5310 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,985 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 09:24 AM

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 5/21/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0hEGgqr-CyBomh2oZiJkt-gxU=0
Posted Image
Posted Image WARNER ARCHIVE HOME  •   NEW RELEASES  •  BESTSELLING DVDs  •   FORWARD TO A FRIEND Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
A GUY NAMED JOE (1943) Van Johnson gets a very special guardian airman/angel in the person of Spencer Tracy in this beloved WWII aviation action romance that deftly mixes sentiment, charm, thrills, tears, and passion for a stirring patriotic brew. Victor Fleming directs a top-flight cast including Irene Dunne, Lionel Barrymore (in good guy mode), Ward Bond and Barry Nelson. One of the most requested titles in the library looks and sounds better than it has in decades! Newly Remastered
Posted Image
STAND UP AND FIGHT (1939) Robert Taylor and Wallace Beery team-up in this antebellum saga of slavery and salvation. As stage coach lines battle the upstart railroads for supremacy, a disgraced Southern gentleman (Taylor) finds himself indentured to the tender mercies of a disgraceful stage line manager (Berry). As the two knock heads, they become embroiled in the fugitive slave trade — one looking for justice, the other to avoid guilt. They may triumph too — if they don’t kill each other first. Directed by W.S. Van Dyke with a script co-written by James Cain and co-starring Helen Broderick and Florence Rice. Newly Remastered
THE POWER AND THE PRIZE (1956) A Pilgrim’s Progress for the Skyscraper set, Robert Taylor plays an up-and-coming master of the corporate universe who discovers he might still be possessed of both heart and conscience. It’s an easy leap to imagine Don Draper taking in the pic’s astounding art direction and leaping into the lifestyle while missing the message. Director Henry Koster assembles as good an ensemble as you’ll find this side of Sixth Avenue, including Burl Ives, Charles Coburn, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Mary Astor and Elisabeth Müller. Newly Remastered 16x9 WIDESCREEN
Posted Image
THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN HAWKS (1959) An intriguing melange of Breaking Point, Maltese Falcon and Never Let Me Go (among others) The House of the Seven Hawks sets Taylor sailing just north of noir into Dutch waters and criminal quests. Replete with Nazi treasure, fat masterminds, fastidious henchmen, low-life pals, hulking brutes, and dual desperate dames laying claim to the same identity, this House demands a visit — or seven. Newly Remastered 16x9 WIDESCREEN
CATTLE KING (1963) Taylor, in full-bore pistol patriarch mode, is all that stands between innocent ranchers and the unscrupulous speculators who demand the feds seize their land to establish a national cattle road. It’s a good thing he’s backed by a young Robert Loggia as Johnny Quatro, a gaucho who’s as fast with his temper as he is with his guns. And just wait ’til President Chester A. Arthur (Larry Gates) shows up! Directed by Tay Garnett, also starring William Windom, Robert Middleton and Joan Caulfield. Newly Remastered 16x9 WIDESCREEN
Posted Image
MASSACRE RIVER (1949) Western titans Rory Calhoun, Steve Brodie and Guy Madison team up to star in a tale of tragedy and romance set along the knife’s edge that was the Indian frontier. As two cavalry officers duel for the attentions and affections of the local lovelies, desperate criminals prepare to fleece an innocent femme. Are the waters of the Wachupi about to run red — again? Also stars Iron Eyes Cody.
Posted Image
GROWING PAINS: THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON (1987-88) It’s as eighties as it gets in the third season of this family favorite sit-com, as the Seavers survive a Hawaiian vacation, robbery, two-timing romance (with a young Brad Pitt), Twilight Zone tonsillectomies (with Alan Hale, Jr, steering the ride) and Maggie’s (Joanna Kerns) return to the workplace at a TV station. It’s a good thing the clan has its own live-in pater-therapist (Alan Thicke) as the two elder Seaver kids (Kirk Cameron and Tracey Gold) inch ever closer to graduation.
Posted Image
THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (1944) This crackerjack piece of crime caper from director Jean Negulesco stars two icons, Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre and is ready to ship! Adapted from the Eric Ambler thriller, this tale follows a crime writer played by Lorre, hunt up the life story of the despicable, deceased Dimitrios (Zachary Scott, in his screen debut). Newly Remastered — Now Shipping!
Posted Image
Warner Archive Instant lets you watch hundreds of rare and hard-to-find movies and TV shows, direct from the studio vaults to you. Classics, cult faves, midnight mondos, one-season wonders and more from legendary studios such as Warner Bros., MGM, RKO, Lorimar and Allied Artists, many of them available for the first time in streaming High Definition 1080p via your Roku. Watch as much as you want, new movies and TV shows added regularly and you may cancel at any time. For more info, to browse our line-up and to start your 2 week free trial.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

www.warnerarchive.com

A Guy Named Robert
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0521WACNRbEml&ref=EW0521C

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4032 of 5310 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 21 2013 - 11:21 AM

Some great Robert Taylor titles here, long overdue. But where is Rogue Cop?

#4033 of 5310 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,884 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 21 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would love to see the demographics on MODs from all studios. I would guess many older males are eating up those westerns as they are consistently being released. For a genre that has supposedly been on life support since the late 70's, it's amazing how attractive it must still be for a certain group of buyers and obviously successful for the studios.

#4034 of 5310 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 12:07 PM

I keep thinking about this and find that ironic as well. The western is the best represented for TV on DVD and probably the best represented genre for movies on DVD so obviously they sell. Yet the western is suppossed to be bad for TV and movie business since the late 70's. Maybe the studios need to re-evaluate this stance/view and maybe its that many of the recent western failures were just not good movies instead of the genre being dead.

I would love to see the demographics on MODs from all studios. I would guess many older males are eating up those westerns as they are consistently being released. For a genre that has supposedly been on life support since the late 70's, it's amazing how attractive it must still be for a certain group of buyers and obviously successful for the studios.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#4035 of 5310 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,662 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 21 2013 - 12:52 PM

Anybody else having problems with their wishlist on WAC? I probably had 100 titles on my wishlist, but now there are only 20 titles on it and I can't add anything else. How am I supposed to remember all the titles I wanted? It will be a lot of work to go through their entire catalog to try and recreate my list.

#4036 of 5310 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,068 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 05:00 PM

hoping for target zero and the naked and the dead.

#4037 of 5310 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,068 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 05:01 PM

what war movies are left for warner to release.

#4038 of 5310 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,243 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted May 21 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm experiencing the same situation as you, Mark-P. I don't use Facebook, Twitter, etc., so maybe someone who does can contact WAC and alert them. It does affect their business.

#4039 of 5310 ONLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,013 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 09:36 AM

Finally, A Guy Named Joe.

Hope the improved picture quality was worth the wait!

#4040 of 5310 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted May 24 2013 - 06:44 AM

Anybody else having problems with their wishlist on WAC? I probably had 100 titles on my wishlist, but now there are only 20 titles on it and I can't add anything else. How am I supposed to remember all the titles I wanted? It will be a lot of work to go through their entire catalog to try and recreate my list.

Yes, there are still issues as of this morning with wishlists on both the WAC site and the WBShop site. It appears that only the first page is displayed. I have alerted them of this and have not received a reply yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users