Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4570 replies to this topic

#4001 of 4571 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm still trying to figure this one out; today WA has released to at least 2 online vendors (Deep Discount and DVD Planet) Season 1 of Sugarfoot but it was not released on their WA page and they are hush, hush about it on their facebook page. So it looks like they are giving online vendors an exclusive window on the release which I assume will eventually show up on the WA page. If true this is a 1st and I wonder if it will be a new trend.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#4002 of 4571 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 03:55 PM

Maybe a new trend for WB TV series, but the WB Archive has given exclusives to Movies Unlimited and Critic's Choice for some movies in the past.

The SUGARFOOT exclusive includes all the sites owned by the same company. I forget the company name, but they own Deepdiscount, DVD Planet, Importcds, and Critic's Choice.  The Critic's Choice paper catalog for May and online  lists SUGARFOOT as exclusive to them, probably for print catalogs. 

I ordered mine from importcds.com, which had the lowest price of the four online retailers listed above, on May 3rd and it shipped the same day, through that DHL hand-off deal with the Post Office, and I hope to receive it this week.

#4003 of 4571 Brent S

Brent S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'm still trying to figure this one out; today WA has released to at least 2 online vendors (Deep Discount and DVD Planet) Season 1 of Sugarfoot but it was not released on their WA page and they are hush, hush about it on their facebook page. So it looks like they are giving online vendors an exclusive window on the release which I assume will eventually show up on the WA page. If true this is a 1st and I wonder if it will be a new trend.

Not a 1st.  The recent "Dead End Kids Double Feature" was a 4-month exclusive at Oldies.com.  The WA's "Nelson Eddy / Jeanette MacDonald" titles were originally exclusives at Movies Unlimited; as was Durante's MUSIC FOR MILLIONS (1943).  There were a few more, but I can't think of them at the moment.  An interesting way to build distributor partnerships, and create goodwill.

#4004 of 4571 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:48 PM

I had asked about this a few weeks ago on FB and the Archive confirmed that the legal issues holding up both the 1929 and 1943 versions of the The Desert Song for release had been cleared up finally allowing eventual WAC releases after remastering. Great news!

More than great news - this is simply fabulous!

Very much looking forward to this announcement.

#4005 of 4571 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 09:13 PM

Not a 1st.  The recent "Dead End Kids Double Feature" was a 4-month exclusive at Oldies.com.  The WA's "Nelson Eddy / Jeanette MacDonald" titles were originally exclusives at Movies Unlimited; as was Durante's MUSIC FOR MILLIONS (1943).  There were a few more, but I can't think of them at the moment.  An interesting way to build distributor partnerships, and create goodwill.

Yes, the WAC does exclusive deals with other distributors which usually lasts at least two months before becoming more widely available on the official site.  The latest wave of Nelson/Eddy titles on Movies Unlimited is still exclusive to that site only, including Lubitsch's The Merry Widow.

Movies Unlimited does their own advertising for these exclusive titles, giving them advertising space on their homepage and on the front or back covers of their catalogs.  The DD/CC/Importcds and Oldies.com exclusive titles don't get much advertising in comparison.

#4006 of 4571 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 08 2013 - 12:51 PM

Does anyone know if Hell on Frisco Bay is likely to be released?

#4007 of 4571 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,292 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 04:17 PM

Warner Archive Instant Newsletter
WB Archive Instant Watch Instantly
WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANT  •  NEWEST ADDITIONS  •  BROWSE ALL  •  FORWARD TO A FRIEND
What's New On Instant?
Notable new arrivals
Dark of the Sun (1968)
Dark of the Sun (1968) Jack Cardiff directs Rod Taylor, Jim Brown and Yvette Mimieux in this action classic about a team of mercenaries riding a steam train to rescue refugees and diamonds during the bloody Congo civil war.
Executive Action (1973)
Executive Action (1973) Will Geer, Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan star in the documentary style suspense thriller about the assassination of JFK. Based on the novel Executive Action: Assassination of a Head of State by Donald Freed and Mark Lane. Script by Dalton Trumbo.
The Girl in the Empty Grave (1977)
The Girl in the Empty Grave (1977) When a husband and wife are discovered dead, a small-town police chief begins an intensive investigation attempting to verify sightings of the couple’s reputedly deceased daughter. Andy Griffith stars.
Girlfriends (1978)
Girlfriends (1978) Lauded indie film from filmmaker Claudia Weill focuses it discerning lens on a pair of women navigating life’s paths in mid-seventies New York. Eli Wallach, Christopher Guest, Viveca Lindfors and Bob Balaban all lend their efforts to this DIY gem, starring Melanie Mayron and Anita Skinner. A favorite of HBO’s Girls creator Lena Dunham and Judd Apatow.
Helter Skelter (1976)
Helter Skelter (1976) The investigation of two horrific mass murders leads to the capture and trial of the psychotic pseudo-hippie Charles Manson and his Family. TV Mini-series adapted from the book by Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi.
The Jimmy Stewart Show (1971-72)
The Jimmy Stewart Show (1971-72) James Stewart stars as an anthropology professor struggling to bridge the generation gap with his college students and with his own family in The Jimmy Stewart Show. Professor James Howard and his wife Martha are the parents of two sons: twenty-nine-year old P.J., married and the father of an 8-year-old Jake and Teddy (Dennis Larson), who’s also eight and, technically, Jake’s uncle. And when Peter and his family move in with the parents, “Uncle Theodore” demands proper respect from his same-age nephew in this family comedy.
New on HD via Roku
Brewster McCloud (1970)
Brewster McCloud (1970) Robert Altman weaves together an offbeat tale of a young man (Bud Cort, Harold and Maude) who lives in an abandoned bomb shelter inside the Houston Astrodome and dreams of flight. But when murder victims covered in bird droppings start to appear, this dream takes an ominous turn.
Salem's Lot (1979)
Salem’s Lot (1979) When vampires invade a small New England town, one man must face his worst fears to stop the blood-sucking creatures. With James Mason and David Soul, directed by Tobe Hooper. Based on the Novel by Stephen King.
It's a Small World (1950)
It’s a Small World (1950) Will Geer and Steve Brodie co-star in William Castle’s portrait of a little person’s struggles with normal-sized society. Starring Paul Dale.
Klute (1971)
Klute (1971) Small town police detective John Klute (Donald Sutherland) comes to New York to investigate the disappearance of his best friend, but his only lead is a letter to prostitute Bree Daniels (Jane Fonda). As these two very different people discover a romantic attraction to each other, Klute realizes Daniels is actually the murderer’s real target.
Over the Edge (1979)
Over the Edge (1979) Jonathan Kaplan directs this hot-blooded cult classic about a group of kids left to discover their own values but only come up with drugs, booze and discontent. Fourteen-year-old Matt Dillon makes his screen debut as the kids’ charismatic leader Richie.
The Outfit (1973)
The Outfit (1973) Career thief Earl Macklin (Robert Duvall), his girlfriend and his partner set out to avenge the murder of Macklin’s brother by cutting down gangland operations one violent robbery at a time. From the “Parker” novels.
Things to Come
Born To Dance (1936) Lepke (1975) Dream of Kings (1969) Lucan (1977)
BORN TO DANCE (1936) LEPKE (1975) DREAM OF KINGS (1969) LUCAN (1977)
Not enough info here? Stuff your head with the factoids found in our weekly Warner Archive Collection New Release Podcast to impress your friends and amaze the uninformed! Available on iTunes!
Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook Subscribe to our YouTube channel Read our Tumblr blog
instant.warnerarchive.com
wbshop.com
warnerarchive.com
instant.warnerarchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

The Latest on Instant
http://instant.warnerarchive.com

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4008 of 4571 SWFF

SWFF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted May 09 2013 - 04:44 PM

You see what I want is SALEM'S LOT (1979) in HD on a disc, not this horrid streaming which we all know deep in our hearts is PURE EVIL!

#4009 of 4571 revgen

revgen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 09:53 PM

WAC's problem with releasing HD on disc is that the blu-ray committee has yet to approve MOD for blu-ray.

I think WAC should just put these films out on BD-R anyway. Most new players will play single layer BD-R. If somebody's player doesn't play them, just send them a refund.

#4010 of 4571 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 10 2013 - 04:43 AM

I have no intention of streaming but I do fear it will be a race against time to get the films we want out on blu-ray before streaming becomes mainstream. I may be wrong but I think consumers who stream are prepared to accept a lower picture/audio quality than collectors of packaged media, in the same way that audio downloads are of lesser quality than CD/vinyl.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#4011 of 4571 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 08:26 AM

Some of the new titles on Warner Instant haven't even been released on DVD or through the WAC yet (i.e. It's a Small World).  I don't think we'll see many of these on blu-ray in the near future.  Maybe blu-ray MOD will happen, but the streaming services are the best alternative at the moment--provided internet speed is up to snuff.

#4012 of 4571 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 07:17 PM

IT"S A SMALL WORLD has been available as a WAC DVD-R for a couple of years now.

#4013 of 4571 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 07:56 PM

IT"S A SMALL WORLD has been available as a WAC DVD-R for a couple of years now.

Huh, you're right.  Don't know how I missed that...

#4014 of 4571 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 11 2013 - 12:06 AM

"Born to Dance" is still in-print on regular pressed DVD (the third volume of Warners' "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory")...  Will this be a revised print?

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4015 of 4571 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Advanced Member

• 37,292 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 04:47 PM

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 5/7/2013
Warner Bros. Archive Collection
WARNER ARCHIVE HOME   •    NEW RELEASES   •   BESTSELLING DVDs   •    FORWARD TO A FRIEND
New Releases: Lariats & Liberace
With Liberace, Dorothy Malone, Jimmy Wakely, Rod Cameron, Gale Storm, and Mr. Johnny Mack Brown
Not enough info here? Stuff your head with the factoids found in our weekly Warner Archive Collection New Release Podcast to impress your friends and amaze the uninformed! Available on iTunes!
From Lee with Love
SINCERELY YOURS (1955) Long before HBO took us Behind the Candelabra (thanks to the talents of Messrs. Soderbergh, Douglas and Damon) Władziu Valentino Liberace was a household one-name superstar, thanks to his smash hit syndicated TV series and Las Vegas revue, when Warner Bros. cast him in this remake of the George Arliss vehicle, The Man Who Played God. Under the stewardship of veteran camera hand Gordon Douglas, Liberace was backed-up by a first-rate supporting “string” section featuring Dorothy Malone, Joanne Dru and William Demarest. Mixing melodrama and music, Sincerely Yours depicts a maestro facing a future sans music, while his fiancée is finding romance with another. So what’s a fate-tossed bravura showman to do? Lip-read and interfere in his neighbors’ lives, that’s what! Liberace performs a score of songs in the film, rendering the cost of admission musically moot, including an extended nightclub scene that captures the lightning in a bottle that was Liberace live on stage complete with sighing spinsters. Newly Remastered 16x9 WIDESCREEN
Make mine a Monogram! (Allied Artists, also)
THE MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION VOLUME SIX: JIMMY WAKELY Monogram’s ace cowboy crooner (and true country crossover pop star) Jimmy Wakely rides and warbles across a blistering six-gun sextet that captures two phases of his screen career. First up, we draw a pair of aces with two films where Jimmy shares the screen with John “Dusty” James and Lee “Lasses” White. Then we get a quartet featuring the comic turns of prolific number two man, Dub “Cannonball” Taylor. As an added bonus, Whip Wilson makes his Monogram debut alongside Jimmy in 1948’s Silver Trails. Collection includes: Riding the Dusty Trail aka Riders of the Dawn (1945) Three cowpokes and a baby! Lonesome Trail (1945) Bandits try to steal an election — and an entire town! The Rangers Ride (1948) Civil war vets take on a secret police state! Range Renegades (1948) Western royalty Jennifer Holt is the evil mastermind! Silver Trails (1948) Hear the crack of the Whip! Brand of Fear (1949) One of Wakely’s best — with superb versions of “There’s a Rainbow Over the Range” and “Cool Water.” Remastered from the best available 35mm film elements.
Brand of Fear (1949)
STAMPEDE (1949)It’s a full-house of Western wonder as Rod Cameron, Gale Storm and Johnny Mack Brown team up for this tale of water rights and gunfights. When settlers arrive at the town of Blackwell, Arizona they discover that the McCall brothers (Rod Cameron and Don Castle) control the water, and the cattlemen aren’t inclined to share. Rebuffed by the sheriff (Johnny Mack Brown), one fiery tempered settler (Gale Storm) takes justice — and a long gun — into her own hands. Directed by prolific phenom Lesley Selander with a script co-written by a (very) young Blake Edwards.
SHORT GRASS (1950) Lesley Selander rides again, in this oater that re-teams Rod and Johnny Mack. This time ’round Rod plays a drifter who fails to steer clear of cordite-flavored trouble after falling hard for a rancher’s daughter (Cathy Downs). Framed for a robbery and shot in the back, the drifter gives the ill-gotten goods to the rancher (Stanley Andrews) before fleeing. Returning half a decade later, he finds the rancher murdered, the daughter married to a lush, and a Marshall (Johnny Mack Brown) mooning over the lady. Also features Alan Hale, Jr.
WILD STALLION (1952) Following the murder of his parents during an Indian raid, a young boy (Orley Lindgren) becomes obsessed with his pet white colt that escaped during the raid. Raised on an army post, the boy becomes a wild horse hunter and continues his quest for his lost pet who’s grown into a magnificent white stallion that leads a pack of wild horses. An early production from the legendary Walter Mirisch, starring Ben Johnson and a trio of future TV titans — Edgar Buchanan, Hayden Rorke, and Hugh Beaumont.
Wild Stallion (1952)
RIDER ON A DEAD HORSE (1962) Allied Artists continues to step into the New Westerns of the 1960s with this six-gun saga that mixes seedy with its oats. Three prospectors (John Vivyan, Bruce Gordon and Charles Lampkin) bury their gold to protect it from Apache attack. No sooner than you can say “Sierra Madre”, greed turns the trio into a killer, a victim, and a corpse. But unfortunately for the killer, only the man he left for dead knows the way back to the secret cache. Also stars Kevin Hagen and Lisa Lu. 16x9 WIDESCREEN
Instantly Yours
Have you checked out our new streaming service WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANT? Just this week, we’ve added even more movies and TV shows that stream instantly to your Mac, PC or Roku-connected TV for a monthly subscription. Visit instant.warnerarchive.com and get a free two week trial! Interested in receiving our new semi-weekly What’s On Instant Newsletter? Sign up here!
Sincerely Yours (1955)
Monogram Cowboy Collection Volume 6: Jimmy Wakely
Stampede (1949)
Short Grass (1950)
Wild Stallion (1952)
Rider on a Dead Horse (1962)
Warner Archive
SHOP NEW RELEASES
follow us on twitter like us on facebook subscribe to our YouTube channel read our tumblr blog
wbshop.com
warnerarchive.com

www.warnerarchive.com

Ride ’Em, Maestro!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0514WACNRbEml&ref=EW0514B

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4016 of 4571 John Hermes

John Hermes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted May 13 2013 - 06:25 PM

Ah, Sincerely Yours. I've been waiting for this one.  Hopefully, it's a nice transfer and disc.

• ahollis likes this

#4017 of 4571 Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 07:09 PM

There are a ton of good titles only at WAC Instant like Hurricane Smith, Candidate Widescreen, Lean on Me Widescreen, Great Santini Widescreen, and Jimmy Stewart Show to name a few. I hope this aren't some only instant exclusive. I don't want WAC to go streaming, I want a real media disc. Hopefully these will come to the WAC on MOD disc soon. I've been wanting to see all of those properly for years! I've never seen the Jimmy Stewart Show and would really love to have it. I bought Hawkins and really enjoyed it. Also been hoping to replace my fullframe dvd of Lean on Me for years.

#4018 of 4571 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted May 13 2013 - 08:25 PM

Strange Programming:

In it's initial Australian suburban and regional Cinema engagements during the early 50s "SINCERELY YOURS" was doubled up with "ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK"  :blink:

I went with my rowdy Teenage Buddies  to see "Rock Around The Clock" five times and had to endure "Sincerely Yours" (which was run first)  on four occasions.

We just stayed in the lobby until interval the 5th time.  :popcorn:

Because the cinemas running this miss-match had an audience full of Rockers, :drum:  Liberace copped a lot of boos, heckles and

jeers.

(Don't tell anyone but I secretly enjoyed "Sincerely Yours") ;)

Doug.

Edited by Doug Bull, May 13 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#4019 of 4571 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted May 18 2013 - 05:23 AM

While not (and probably never) officially stated, a lot of people are still leaning the major reason they are putting some of the things not on DVD yet on the streaming service is to help raise money to fix some of the problems they have to tackle before DVD release. In some cases we should remember in contract language land, streaming counts the same as television distribution. Hence forth shows with music/rights/issues preventing DVD release are free in the clear for streaming.

WA is clearly a company that thinks longterm so i fully expect some of those membership fees for that streaming service are probably going to good use. Especially given WA's model is probably one of the few companies on the planet we can feel pretty safe being optimistic about. Since at the rate they are going as long as they don't go out of business they'll probably have a whole lot of the library available to the public via MOD. It's kind of crazy to really look at how much they have already gotten too when the program hasn't even hit the 5 year mark yet.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#4020 of 4571 revgen

revgen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted May 19 2013 - 02:49 PM

Streaming counts the same as TV distribution?

I find that hard to believe. Streaming is on demand. Like PPV. TV is programmed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users