Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4689 replies to this topic

#3981 of 4690 Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 07:37 AM

Loophole is pretty good.  Fall Guy and Dangerous Profession are both meh.

#3982 of 4690 SeanAx

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 23 2013 - 07:42 AM

So happy to see the much-anticipated "The Mask of Dimitrios." With the three noirs by Jean Negulesco released last year, Warner Archive has given us a meaty chunk of his early career and shown his knack for stylish (and just a little romantic) film noir, and his elegant touch to shadowy stories and the dark corners of human nature.

Sean Axmaker
DVD/Blu-ray columnist for MSN Entertainment (http://social.entert...drone-blog.aspx)
Editor of Parallax View (http://parallax-view.org)
Member of the Online Film Critics Society (http://www.rottentom...com/author-229/)

#3983 of 4690 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,439 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 08:14 AM

Looking forward to Bomba Vol 1. and The Mask of Dimitrios (highly requested, that one).  A pretty good week.

#3984 of 4690 Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:03 AM

So, I looked at the Warner Archive to order THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS and it does not seem to be listed - they do show the other four noirish movies as new releases (FBI CODE 98 is included).  Did anyone manage to find and order DIMITRIOS?

#3985 of 4690 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:05 AM

So, I looked at the Warner Archive to order THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS and it does not seem to be listed - they do show the other four noirish movies as new releases (FBI CODE 98 is included).  Did anyone manage to find and order DIMITRIOS?

Note where it said this:

*Note: Available for pre-order 4/24/2013, to be released 5/7/2013

#3986 of 4690 Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yes, thanks, I finally noticed that notation the second time around - I'll need to read these "New Releases" emails with a bit more care if they are going to announce stuff that is actually not a "New Release" but more of a "Coming Attraction" - wonder why it wasn't just saved for the "New Releases" email on, you know, 5/7? - oh well, another film by Negulesco is worth a little wait.   

#3987 of 4690 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,467 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 23 2013 - 11:24 AM

Finally!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3988 of 4690 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,605 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 01:42 AM

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 4/30/2013
Warner Bros. Archive Collection
WARNER ARCHIVE HOME   •    NEW RELEASES   •   BESTSELLING DVDs   •    FORWARD TO A FRIEND
Starring Edward G. Robinson, Loretta Young, Warren William, Maureen O’Sullivan, Bette Davis & Grant Goodeve
Not enough info here? Stuff your head with the factoids found in our weekly Warner Archive Collection New Release Podcast to impress your friends and amaze the uninformed! Available on iTunes!
Sinful Seven
FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD VOLUME 7 (1932-33) After wetting your whistles with the sin-sational sin-ema found in Forbidden Hollywood Volume 6 earlier this month, we’re here to finish you off in high style! Forbidden Hollywood Volume 7 contains some of the most requested titles in the series, including the DVD debuts of a couple of pictures that were instrumental in the launch of Forbidden Hollywood back in the dinosaur days of VHS! Volume 7 includes the following four fab-tastic flickers, all Newly Remastered! Note: initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand.
THE HATCHET MAN (1932) William Wellman directs Edward G. Robinson in this gangster tale with a difference as we trade in the gats for hatchets, and the syndicate for the Tongs. Robinson plays an honorable hatchet man, agent of last resort for the Tongs, whose duties force him to make a terrible sacrifice — his oldest friend. Willed his friend’s daughter (Loretta Young), he raises, then romances her, but it’s a path that may lead to his ruin since the Tong he’s tied to seems determined to drag him back in. Once past any modern doubts about the casting, viewers are met with yet another engaging, engrossing and gripping William Wellman picture that dares to find humanity in the darkest corners.
SKYSCRAPER SOULS (1932) Warren William plays a ruthless magnate who stoops to anything in order to maintain control of his multi-story masterpiece. Director Edgar Selwyn populates the skyscraper’s upper-floor/lower floor soapworks with a cast that still dazzles and delights eight decades later. Maureen O’Sullivan, fresh from the jungle as Jane, is the alluring ingénue who floats between floors; Norman Foster is the first floor bank clerk whose nerve may exceed his brain, Wallace Ford and Anita Page provide an extra-marital B-story, while Verree Teasdale plays the secretary/mistress of Williams’ David Dwight — an astonishing scoundrel that glues all the transgressions together and seduces us all.
EMPLOYEES’ ENTRANCE (1933) More multi-floor mature merriment under the wicked gaze of Warren William in this Roy Del Ruth directed department store expose. William plays hard driving store manager Kurt Anderson who finds no sense in sentiment as he pursues sex and cents with cynical ease. Loretta Young plays the desperate damsel willing to pay the price of employment, while Wallace Ford plays the up and comer caught between ambition and desire. And discerning cinema mavens will note that an uncredited Allen Jenkins provides leavening mirth as harried store detective Sweeney.
EX-LADY (1933) Bette Davis graduates to topliner in this risqué comedy romance that dares looks at adult relations without the benefit of marriage. Bette plays Helen Bauer, a headstrong and thoroughly liberated graphic artist. Gene Raymond plays adman/live-in lover Don Peterson who piles on the nuptial pressure after a scathing scolding from Helen’s Old World papa (Alphonse Ethier). Following a honeymoon in Cuba (with a pre-coital dance hall sequence that still steals your breath) the couple finds married life might be more than they can bear. Then Helen suggests they open up the marriage to outside distractions by going back to ‘just going out.’ Monroe Owsley plays the masculine distraction, while Kay Strozzi provides the distaff distraction. Claire Dodd and a fabulous Frank McHugh provide comedic counterpoint as a very confused couple.
Great Eight
EIGHT IS ENOUGH, THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON (1978-79) Eight is Enough’s third season starts off with a change — a brand new theme song, sung by star Grant Goodeve! The title theme promises “a portrait of the happiness that we feel and always will” matching the show’s focus on the upbeat side of familial bonds. However, the roller-coaster nature of “the changing times” in American society was well-reflected in the ten-sided prism that is the Bradford clan as the family grapples with youth culture (Tommy’s dual dating personas of “Disco Kid” vs. “Mellow Man”), teen pregnancy (a young Rosanna Arquette guest stars), gender roles (“The War Between the Bradfords”), and ageism (with Abe Vigoda). This 28-Episode collection also includes notable guests such as Jack Elam, Noah Beery Jr., and James Cromwell.
Five Who Came Back (In Print)
COMMAND DECISION (1949) Clark Gable heads a superstar cast packed to the heavens with talent including Walter Pidgeon, Van Johnson, Brian Donlevy, Charles Bickford, Edward Arnold, John Hodiak, Edward Arnold and Marshall Thompson. Directed by Sam Wood from the stage play by William Wister Haines, Command Decision is a riveting look at the desk bound side of war, as Gable’s air force general must grapple with sending squadrons of the country’s finest to their deaths deep inside Nazi controlled Europe during a critical juncture in 1943. Miklós Rózsa’s superb score further elevates the action.
LAND OF THE PHARAOHS (1955) Howard Hawks goes all in for this sweeping CinemaScope WarnerColor sand saga. But there is a secret lurking behind the spectacular compositions, exotic costumes, hundreds of extras, and stunning set design — Hawks created a full-color historical epic film noir. One man (Jack Hawkins), guided by greed, builds an empire by force of arms. At the height of his power he is seduced by a beauty (Joan Collins) whose passion for gold pushes her to dare anything. As each of the lovers pursues plunder above all else, they spin a web of intrigue that proves their doom. (See?) Also, catch Collins in a sheer, Egyptian two-piece.
THE LONELINESS OF THE LONG DISTANCE RUNNER (1962) As “Kitchen Sink” drama collided with European New Wave, film makers like Tony Richardson were boldly introducing Britain to “New Cinema”. Adapted by Alan Sillitoe from his acclaimed short story, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner combines class consciousness, social realism, dramatic existentialism and non-linear narrative to depict the forces that drove a young working class kid to delinquency. With Tom Courtenay, Michael Redgrave and John Thaw.
THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE’S FATHER (1963) Drawn from the same source as the beloved (and available via WAC) Bill Bixby series, this swinging early sixties sex and family comedy ably demonstrates maestro Minnelli’s deft hand at any and all styles and genres of film. Glenn Ford plays the dapper and recently widowed radio exec. Jerry Van Dyke plays the exec’s DJ pal. Shirley Jones, Stella Stevens and Dina Merrill play the three potential new Mrs. Eddie’s Fathers and Ron Howard astonishes with his warm, and very human and heartbreaking performance as little Eddie.
FREEJACK (1992) Emilio Estevez gets the ultimate repo, man, as a racecar stud who gets “bonejacked” from 1992 to the far-flung dystopian future of 2009. Remember that just four years ago Bonejackers were brought forward in time from the moment of their deaths to provide new bodies for rich minds housed in the cybernetic “spiritual switchboard”. But this bonejack escapes, and even the horrors of 2009’s Park Slope won’t be able to stop this freejack. Also stars Mick Jagger, David Johansen (that’s the New York Dolls AND the Rolling Stones!), Anthony Hopkins and Rene Russo.
FREEJACK (1992)
Cruising NYC Solo
Brooklyn! In anticipation of our DVD re-issue later this month, on Friday, May 3 we’re co-presenting with BAMcinematek a 35mm screening of CRUISING (1980) — including a Q&A with trailblazing director William Friedkin himself! (And these A’s are bound to be interesting…) When NYPD detective Steve Burns (Pacino) goes undercover in the leather bar underground to catch an S&M serial killer targeting gay men, he finds himself starting to like his new role maybe a little too much.
FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD VOLUME 7 (1932-33)
EIGHT IS ENOUGH, THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON (1978-79)
COMMAND DECISION (1949)
LAND OF THE PHARAOHS (1955)
THE LONELINESS OF THE LONG DISTANCE RUNNER (1962)
THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE’S FATHER (1963)
FREEJACK (1992)
BAMcinematek
SHOP NEW RELEASES
follow us on twitter like us on facebook subscribe to our YouTube channel read our tumblr blog
wbshop.com
warnerarchive.com

www.warnerarchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Forbidden Nicholas
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0430WACNReEml&ref=EW0430E

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3989 of 4690 ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 269 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted April 30 2013 - 07:01 AM

What happened to the Walter Pidgeon Nick Carter films?  They disappeared from my wishlist.

---------------

#3990 of 4690 greylocke5

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 07:58 AM

What happened to the Walter Pidgeon Nick Carter films?  They disappeared from my wishlist.

---------------

I noticed the same thing on my wishlist.  Maybe they identified a production problem that requires fixing.  Has anyone been advised that their copy is defective?

#3991 of 4690 Paul Penna

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 08:41 AM

From the WAC Facebook page, responding to a customer who reported a problem with the Nick Carter disc:

Thanks for reporting this - our master check discs were fine, but we see the defect you are reporting on subsequent manufactured discs. We are working on fixing the defect and hope to resolve soon. Once fixed, we will replace.

Edited by Paul Penna, April 30 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#3992 of 4690 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 826 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 10:25 AM

Great ,my Nick Carter set is suppose to come tomorrow . I guess I can expect an issue with this disc .

#3993 of 4690 kingfish

kingfish

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 02:25 PM

i remember command decision was originally released as a pressed disc in fact i own it.

#3994 of 4690 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,439 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 05:54 PM

It addition to the other discs that have already been listed on preorder (1960's Popeye Vol 1, Tenth Avenue Girl) , the original Penrod and Sam (1931) and the long-awaited release of The Secret Garden (1949) are also slated for a May 7 release date.

Also, The Mask of Dimitrios appears to have been pushed back to a May 21 release date.

#3995 of 4690 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 09:16 PM

Also, The Mask of Dimitrios appears to have been pushed back to a May 21 release date.

I've waited several years. I can easily wait another few days!  :)

#3996 of 4690 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,463 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted May 06 2013 - 10:26 PM

Lou Lumenick reports in the NY Post that the seldom seen 1943 Technicolor version of "THE DESERT SONG" with Dennis Morgan will finally get a Warner Archives release.

It would be great if we got all 3 versions, although I'll gladly settle on this one for now.

I don't ever recall seeing it.

Attached Thumbnails

• desertsong.jpg

Edited by Doug Bull, May 06 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#3997 of 4690 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,307 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 06 2013 - 10:30 PM

"Secret Garden" with Margaret O'Brien will be much-appreciated, I'm sure her fans will be thrilled to know it's finally coming to DVD.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3998 of 4690 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,563 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:21 AM

Yes, in that column, Lou intimated that all three versions of The Desert Song will be released by the Archives. The first two are the ones I've never seen and am dying to.

#3999 of 4690 JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted May 07 2013 - 04:39 AM

Yes, in that column, Lou intimated that all three versions of The Desert Song will be released by the Archives. The first two are the ones I've never seen and am dying to.

I had asked about this a few weeks ago on FB and the Archive confirmed that the legal issues holding up both the 1929 and 1943 versions of the The Desert Song for release had been cleared up finally allowing eventual WAC releases after remastering. Great news!

• Rob_Ray likes this

#4000 of 4690 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,605 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 08:26 AM

Warner Bros. Archive Collection
WARNER ARCHIVE HOME   •    NEW RELEASES   •   BESTSELLING DVDs   •    FORWARD TO A FRIEND
New Releases: Youngsters, Sailors & the Missing
With Mae Questel, Margaret O'Brien, Leon Janney, Poppy Montgomery & A young Dean Stockwell sans Green Hair
Not enough info here? Stuff your head with the factoids found in our weekly Warner Archive Collection New Release Podcast to impress your friends and amaze the uninformed! Available on iTunes!

Cool Kid Classics

POPEYE: THE 1960s CLASSICS VOLUME 1 (1960-61) With TV reruns of the Fleischer/Famous Studios theatrical shorts proving that Popeye still packed a spinach-powered punch that delivered smash ratings, King Features commissioned a new series of Sailor Man shorts under the aegis of executive producer Al Brodax. The TV incarnation of Popeye made up for its scaled back animation with a broadened narrative scope while still staying true to the source. Thanks to the continued use of voice actors Jack Mercer (Popeye), Mae Questel (Olive) and Jackson Beck (Bluto who was now called Brutus) as well as the use of veteran Popeye animation talents who were then working at Paramount Cartoon Studios, these shorts remained authentic. The addition of a number of Thimble Theater comic strip characters making their cartoon debuts — including King Blozo, Toar, and Sea Hag — only added to the shorts “yam what I yam” charm. All of the Paramount TV Popeye cartoons are contained in this stupendous 2-Disc, 72-Episode set.  

POPEYE: THE 1960s CLASSICS VOLUME 1 (1960-61)

PENROD AND SAM (1931) Years before he would helm many installments in the Bowery Boys series of laffers, prolific director William Beaudine directed another sort of boy picture altogether, bringing Booth Tarkington’s Penrod and Sam to the screen in their first talking feature. Leon Janney and Frank Coghlan Jr. play the titular “In or In Club” founders, while Billie Lord and Nestor Aber make for a dynamite pair of pre-teen nemesis. And Cameo the dog comes close to stealing your heart — and the show — as Penrod’s pooch, Duke. Yep — children and dogs. No one tell W.C. Fields.

TENTH AVENUE ANGEL (1947) Kid thesp phenom Margaret O’Brien headlines this late Forties fabular look back at tenement life during the Great Depression. Flavia Mills is the darling of the street and self-appointed guardian angel of the hard-scrabble and stout-hearted denizens of Tenth Avenue. But Flavia’s world comes crashing down when she learns those she loves best have been lying to her and it will take a miracle to restore her faith. Outstanding cast includes Angela Lansbury, George Murphy and Phyllis Thaxter. Directed by Roy Rowland.

THE SECRET GARDEN (1949) Frances Hodgson Burnett’s children’s classic gets a top notch adaptation courtesy of MGM that makes the gothic roots of Mary Lennox’s journey delightfully apparent. The cast includes leading kids Margaret O’Brien and Dean Stockwell along with Herbert Marshall as the embittered lord of the manor, Elsa Lanchester as a cackling maid with no sense of place, Brian Roper as forest-lad Dickon and a real star-turn by an uncanny trained raven. Beware! Lurking inside the black and white walls of The Secret Garden are (spoiler alert!) some stunning Technicolor sequences. Directed by Fred M. Wilcox.

Lost No Longer

WITHOUT A TRACE: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON (2007-2008) The penultimate season of Without a Trace, although truncated by the writer’s strike, delivered the drama in spades (not to be confused with Samantha Spade) as the show skillfully played out a year-long arc that might best be described as Jack Malone: His Fall and Rise. The season starts with the team slowly being pulled into uncovering a massive human trafficking syndicate responsible for the disappearance of hundreds of girls. Soon after, the dedicated investigators of the Missing Persons Unit are tasked with a particularly important person to locate: Jack Malone, who disappeared after trying to tackle the ring solo. And that’s just the beginning of Jack’s long slog back to the light as his history of warrantless searches, witness intimidation and violation of FBI case protocol in pursuit of justice may finally cost him his career. Other missing persons include a waitress who won 32 million in the lottery to an extreme fighter, a mall Santa Claus and a case uniting the MPU with head CSI Gil Grissom (William Peterson). Other notable guests in this 5-Disc, 18-Episode Collection include James Marsters, Henry Thomas, Nancy McKeon and Sprague Grayden. Stars Anthony La Paglia, Poppy Montgomery, Enrique Murciano, Jr., Eric Close, Marianne Jean-Baptiste and Roselyn Sanchez.

WITHOUT A TRACE: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON (2007-2008)
  Now Available!

DUFFY OF SAN QUENTIN (1954) New warden Clinton T. Duffy takes a walk down noir street to confront violence and corruption at San Quentin in a gritty tale of romance and redemption. Based on Duffy’s memoir and starring Louis Hayward, Joanne Dru, Paul Kelly and Maureen O’Sullivan. Newly Remastered

Warner Archive Delivered Instantly

There’s a new way for you to enjoy the kinds of rare and hard-to-find movies and TV you’ve come to expect from us. Check out WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANT — our new streaming service that brings hundreds of titles instantly to your Mac, PC or Roku-connected TV for a monthly subscription. Visit instant.warnerarchive.com and get a free two week trial!

POPEYE: THE 1960s CLASSICS VOLUME 1 (1960-61)
PENROD AND SAM (1931)
TENTH AVENUE ANGEL (1947)
THE SECRET GARDEN (1949)
WITHOUT A TRACE: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON (2007-2008)
Warner Archive
SHOP NEW RELEASES
follow us on twitter like us on facebook subscribe to our YouTube channel read our tumblr blog
wbshop.com
warnerarchive.com

www.warnerarchive.com

Toot! Toot!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0507WACNRaEml&ref=EW0507A

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users