Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Community - season 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#1 of 280 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,844 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 05:13 AM

I wasn't quite on-board at the start of the pilot episode, but it might have some life as Jeff has to actually put in some study time to get through his stint at community college.

It was nice to see Alison Brie in a contemporary setting (she plays Trudy Campbell on "Mad Men").

Don't mind staring at Britta, either.

Hopefully Chevy Chase can provide some laughs on this show.

Not sure if it'll catch on with the general audience, but I think it might have more promise than "Parks and Recreation".

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 280 OFFLINE   Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 05:30 AM

I only watched the first two episodes of Parks and Recreation, and to me this showed way more promise than that- I actually laughed at this one a few times. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

#3 of 280 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,844 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 05:35 AM

"P & R" is like a trainwreck of a sitcom, but I hope Community will provide much more substantial laughs and stories.

#4 of 280 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 18 2009 - 06:05 AM

I'm not that big of a fan of Parks And Recreation (although I thought last night's episode was very funny) but that show is a masterpiece compared to Community. In all fairness, it's only a pilot and the cast is likable enough so there's room for it to grow.

#5 of 280 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 09:51 AM

The pilot started off a little slow and underwhelming, and it was more smug than funny, but somewhere around the Breakfast Club quote, I started laughing a lot.  I laughed more at the last 10 minutes of the pilot than I did the entire first season of P&R.

BTW, how did this become a P&R bashing thread?

#6 of 280 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 10:13 AM

I enjoyed Community. I laughed so hard through out it. The Breakfast Club references were hilarious and I loved how they played the song at the end. I thought each and everyone of the cast members were wonderfully funny. I look forward to next week.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#7 of 280 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 07:42 AM

I was about to say, this show shouldn't even be compared to P&R. One episode in and it's provided way more laughs than the first seven of P&R. It wasn't amazing or anything, but once the characters get fleshed out some more I think this will be a great complement to The Office and 30 Rock on Thursdays.

#8 of 280 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 05:32 AM

I'll start by saying I absolutely love Joel McHale on The Soup. He consistently provides more laughs on that show in 30 min. than pretty much anything on TV these days. However, I thought the premiere of Community was pretty bad. I kept waiting for it to actually be funny, but that never happened. I'm not going to bail on the show after only one episode, but if it doesn't get better than the premiere by week 3 or 4 I'll be dropping this one from my season pass.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#9 of 280 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,301 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 20 2009 - 11:44 AM

Count me in as one of the people who tuned in because of Jole McHale's snark on The Soup. He brings the same intensity to this show, but with an introspective quality that the E! format doesn't leave room for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

I'm not that big of a fan of Parks And Recreation (although I thought last night's episode was very funny) but that show is a masterpiece compared to Community. In all fairness, it's only a pilot and the cast is likable enough so there's room for it to grow.
I'm not sure where you're coming from on this. Character development-wise, this pilot was light years above and beyond Parks & Rec. Comedy-wise, I laughed more in this pilot than I did over the entirety of Parks & Recreation's first season. Most importantly, Community seems to actually like its characters while Parks & Rec seems to gleefully delight in dragging its nails-on-chalkboard lead through one agonizing situation after another. I can't think of a single thing its pilot did better than this pilot.

#10 of 280 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,741 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed Community - it shows real promise and a great mix of subtle and unsubtle comedy...good stuff.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#11 of 280 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 09:28 AM

I enjoyed the show more than I thought I would.  I will definitely keep watching the show for a while.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#12 of 280 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 09:28 AM

double post

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#13 of 280 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,457 posts

Posted September 25 2009 - 07:01 AM

Senor Chang's rant in the front of Spanish class was side splittingly funny, and I rewatched the doggerel Spanish rap after the credits like 6 or 7 times.  Those two moments alone made the second episode... gulp... funnier than the preceding episode of The Office, and there were all sorts of other goodies in between (seeing Joel McHale in Abed's ultra-tight blue & turquoise striped shirt had me rolling just because it looked so goofy).  Abed's pop culture Tourette's and his Aspberger's affect make him the breakout star of the show.  He's hysterically funny.

Sure, some of the Chevy Chase stuff fell a little flat, but I'm really digging this show right now.  Second episode is definitely a keeper.

#14 of 280 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,301 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 25 2009 - 11:03 AM

It's a terrific low-expectations show. It's not setting out to rewrite the rules of comedy, so you can just enjoy it for what it is. The Asian Spanish teacher that's been in all of those Apatow flicks lately was indeed hilarious. The fact that he's actually a real-life M.D. is even more amazing.

Joel McHale is a rock-solid center, though. He carries the show on his shoulders effortlessly.

#15 of 280 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,844 posts

Posted September 26 2009 - 02:03 AM

Wasn't super-bust-out funny (what is, anyway), but it has humor and heart, and incremental character development, and decent amount of give-n-take and cat-n-mouse to keep things simmering.  Enjoyed el tigra with bite.

#16 of 280 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted September 26 2009 - 02:52 AM

Another laugh out loud episode for me. The spanish teacher was so funny, Chevy and Joels assignment was even better!
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#17 of 280 OFFLINE   Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted September 28 2009 - 07:41 AM

I was finally able to catch this show online.  I really like it.  And I have to agree, the Spanish teacher rant was great.  Viva Senor Chang!

Edit:  I had no idea this was supposed to be in Colorado.  HAHA!

"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#18 of 280 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted September 28 2009 - 04:35 PM

I must be the only person experiencing Ken Jeong overload. I'm starting to find him much too broad and grating.

The rest of the show, however, is proving to be quite likable. I thought the pilot was very cleverly plotted with a unique approach and sense of humor. I agree completely with Adam and Patrick's comments a few messages up (except for Adam's mention of Ken Jeong, natch. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif )

= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#19 of 280 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 29 2009 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Miner View Post

I must be the only person experiencing Ken Jeong overload. I'm starting to find him much too broad and grating.

He's funny but he does a very similar schtick in every thing I've seen him in.

#20 of 280 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted September 29 2009 - 04:38 AM

I teach at a community college (we were asked to watch it by the school) and I consider it okay.  I found some quite funny individual moments in each of the first two episodes but I also found a number of elements that fell flat.  I'll give it a few more episodes to round into form but in terms of "laughs per minute watched", I find The Big Bang Theory a lot funnier.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.