Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Harry Potter Ultimate Editions (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,989 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 09:14 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,217 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 10:02 AM

Well they certainly know how to tempt me to spend more money on this franchise

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,590 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 17 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'll probably wait and see if they do a series set once the seventh/eighth movies come out. Of course in the time that I plan on waiting, I'll probably see these on sale and pick them up.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted September 17 2009 - 11:36 AM

Very, very nice.  And I'm grateful they gave my wallet a break by not having all 5 previously issued films all coming out together on the same date. I am very excited about these releases.

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   ATimson

ATimson

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 01:48 PM

"Premium packaging" (read: it won't fit on the shelf). Hmm. Need more details on the box before decide whether to pick these up or the standard versions (to go with my standard Azkaban, the only one in the series I have so far).
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others."
--Brendan Moody

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 09:10 PM

For the blu ray versions, it sounds as if the theatrical cut with get the "In-Movie Experience" while the extended cut will get "WB's Maximum Movie mode".  I just don't see the the logic in having essentially two PiP features for the theatrical cut....

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#7 of 40 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,989 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 11:53 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 12:34 AM

Looks great. I just wish they had included the "Philosopher's Stone" changes as a seamless branching option on "Sorcerer's Stone".

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted September 30 2009 - 08:02 AM

When the first Harry Potter film was released on DVD, I made of point of ordering the Canadian version, because I wanted to get the "Philosopher's Stone" version.  Ordering from Canada made the most sense, since it is in the same DVD region as the U.S. and would contain English-language menus.  In fact, the DVD turned out to be virtually identical to its U.S. counterpart, except for the Sorcerer/Philosopher switch and the inclusion of a French-language alternate audio track instead of a Spanish-language one.  I was quite pleased with the Canadian release.

I figured I'd do the same for this "Ultimate Edition" Blu-ray release, but I couldn't find a listing for it on Amazon Canada.  I checked Amazon UK, and couldn't find it there, either.  After searching Google as well, it was beginning to look like the Ultimate Edition would be exclusive to the U.S., which means that there would be no "Philosopher's Stone" version of the extended cut (which, for me, is the chief draw of this release).

Eventually, I came across a this listing on CD Japan.  Its image appears to be the same promotional image from the flyer posted above, though it's too small to see whether or not it actually says "Philosopher's Stone."  The content listing is kind of sparse, but it appears to more-or-less match that of the U.S. release.  It explicitly lists Japanese audio and subititle tracks, so I assume that this is not just the U.S. version being released via a Japanese seller.

I decided to pre-order it in spite of the uncertainty.  Between being a Japanese import and a limited edition, I imagine it'll be hard to come by later, so I didn't want to pass up my chance, just in case this does turn out to be the only way to get the extended cut of the Philosopher's Stone version.

In case anyone else is interested in this Japanese release, I can vouch for CD Japan.  I've ordered many DVDs and CDs from them, and always received great service.  Also, the U.S. and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region (unlike DVD), so there shouldn't be a compatibility problem there.  There might be a language issue with the menus. but it's more of an annoyance than a serious problem.  I have a few DVDs whose menus are in Japanese and have always been able to figure them out after a modest amount of trial & error.

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   AppleSpider

AppleSpider

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted September 30 2009 - 12:58 PM

You know it would be cheaper to buy it from Amazon . com Japan...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%8F%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9D%E3%83%83%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%81%A8%E8%B3%A2%E8%80%85%E3%81%AE%E7%9F%B3-%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%A1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A8%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3-Blu-ray-%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%90%E3%82%B9/dp/B002NXSV8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1254358474&sr=1-1

Nothing against CDJapan, I've used them many times, but for mainstream blu-rays, Amazon Japan is just as good
and cheaper. However, blowing up the image, it does says Sorcerer's stone, but that may be just because they'll all
using the same promotional image.

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted October 01 2009 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the tip about Amazon Japan.  Their site used to be a lot harder to use for a non-Japanese-speaker, and I always forget about them when I'm looking to buy a Japanese CD or DVD.  

As you point out, Amazon's has a larger, clearer image of the release than does CD Japan, and indeed, it clearly says "Sorcerer's Stone."  Regardless of what the package says, I hope the disc actually includes the "Philosopher's Stone" version of the movie.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 03:29 AM

I'd be amazed if the Ultimate Editions weren't released in the UK at the very least. More likely is that they'll be released worldwide and that non-US editions simply haven't been announced yet.

"There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes" - The Doctor.

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,799 posts
  • LocationWhittier, California

Posted October 10 2009 - 05:24 PM

Now you just new that a double dip of Harry Potter would happen sooner or later.  Heck I just did not think it would happen this soon!  Well it looks like the entire Harry Potter box set is being re-released with the 6th film in it.  And it looks like the movies will eventually end up being re-released separately as well.  It appears that the first two films will be released separately on 12-8-2009 and will include a DTS-HD Master 6.1 Audio track, not the Dolby True HD track that was used in the first box set.   Now what I am wondering if the new box set will use the Dolby True HD track or the new DTS-HD Master Audio track that seems to be used on the first two films being released separately?  Now many of you here know what my stance has been on the entire Dolby vs DTS debate, heck does my avitar tell you anything.    [/url]

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 10 2009 - 06:07 PM

I've been waiting for Extended Versions, and I for one am VERY glad they're coming out.  I would have preferred not to double dip on the Blu, but I'd rather that than to not get the Extended Cuts.  Just my two cents. 

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,854 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 06:09 PM

I might be tempted to buy these releases if it helps convince Warner to use DTS MA exclusively. If I had lossless capability it probably wouldn't matter as much to me; however, right now I'm stuck listening to the lossy tracks. Of those, I prefer listening to full bit rate DTS tracks, because to me they just sound better than DD. For example, I found the CONTACT DD soundtrack to be weak sounding on the BD. I had to crank it by at least 10Db from my normal setting to get any impact at all and it still sounded like it lacked good low end.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Moritz [url=/forum/thread/293062/whv-press-release-harry-potter-ultimate-editions-blu-ray#post_3616213]
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,217 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 09:57 AM

Quick question about the Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone difference for those who have seen both:

Is this just a cover/title page change or is the reference to the actual item in the movie also different (i.e. when characters talk about it they refer to it as the "Philosopher's Stone" and not the "Sorcerer's Stone")? If so, how did they do that, by just using a different dub for the word in the non-US versions? Is the change fairly seamless?

I ask as one who purchased all of the UK books because I prefer the original language (not just Philosopher/Sorcerer difference but JK Rowling's original prose vs. what was released in the U.S.). If the actual references to the Philosopher's Stone remains intact, I may hold off on repurchasing the first movie until I can find perhaps a region free foreign copy. But if it's just a difference in the BD cover and opening credit, but the dialogue in the movie is completely unchanged, I'll just buy the US version.

Thanks!

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   AppleSpider

AppleSpider

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 12:10 PM

I personally haven't seen both versions, only the US version, but according to this page....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher%27s_Stone_%28film%29
under the header "Filming", this is written....

Owing to the film's title difference in America and the United Kingdom, all scenes that mention the stone had to be filmed twice, once with the actors saying "philosopher's" and the second with them saying "sorcerer's"

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 12:22 PM

I own the Canadian DVD of the first film and can confirm that the stone is referred to as the "Philosopher's Stone" within the film itself.  As Steve said, all the scenes in which the stone is mentioned were filmed twice, so the change is completely seamless, with no detectable dubbing or anything like that.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,217 posts

Posted October 11 2009 - 04:51 PM

Well that's good and bad news. So unfortunately I'm going to have to hold off on re-purchasing the first one.

I do wonder if there is any discernible differences between the takes (other than the word difference), like line delivery, character expressions, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users