Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Wizard of Oz -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
351 replies to this topic

#341 of 352 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 21 2010 - 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-P 

Douglas, I'm guessing you haven't looked at "Dreamer of Oz" on this blu-ray. Trust me, Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: The Next Generation look like high definition by comparison.
No I have to admit I haven't seen Dreamer of Oz on the blu-ray. The discription just sounded like what you see in the early years of TV edited on video. The uprez of the Trials and Tribulations episode of DS9 on the TOS second season blu-ray looks like garbage.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#342 of 352 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 22 2010 - 04:58 AM

The thing with Dreamer is that it looks like reception interference running through the picture.

#343 of 352 OFFLINE   Seppo

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted March 22 2010 - 05:36 AM

Anyone know who produced the "Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz" featurette? I'm writing a thesis on digital film restoration and I'm planning to use this featurette as one of my sources. That's why it would be good to know who produced it.

#344 of 352 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,352 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 22 2010 - 08:45 AM

First of all let me say that The Wizard of Oz on blu-ray is a marvel and everyone should buy a copy. My so-called “complaints” about The Dreamer of Oz are simply out of curiosity as to the reason for its poor quality and by all means NOT a call to arms against Warner. As the picture shimmers with what looks like poor reception, and has video drop-outs like when a VHS tape has been played so many times that the oxide particles are wearing off, I can guarantee you that this is not the master broadcast tape from 1990. May I speculate as to what might have happened?

Warner Legal Department: Guess what guys? We just acquired the rights to include “The Dreamer of Oz” on the blu-ray!

Warner Home Video: Terrific! Add that to the press release.

A week later…

A sad-faced young lackey from materials: Bad news fellas, Entity X can’t locate the master tapes for “The Dreamer of Oz”

Or

Bad news fellas, Entity X refuses to hand over the master tapes for “The Dreamer of Oz.”

Warner Home Video: WHAT??? But, but, but… We’ve already announced it! We can’t take it back now! Somebody has to have a recording of this somewhere. Find one!

#345 of 352 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 22 2010 - 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-P 

May I speculate as to what might have happened?

Warner Legal Department: Guess what guys? We just acquired the rights to include “The Dreamer of Oz” on the blu-ray!

Warner Home Video: Terrific! Add that to the press release.

A week later…

A sad-faced young lackey from materials: Bad news fellas, Entity X can’t locate the master tapes for “The Dreamer of Oz”

Or

Bad news fellas, Entity X refuses to hand over the master tapes for “The Dreamer of Oz.”

Warner Home Video: WHAT??? But, but, but… We’ve already announced it! We can’t take it back now! Somebody has to have a recording of this somewhere. Find one!

If only this exchange had been concluded this way:

Quote:
Sad-faced young lackey from materials:  I know!  Let's check with Eric Scott Richard and see what his copy looks like! 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#346 of 352 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 22 2010 - 09:11 AM

HaHa! I was thinking the same thing!

#347 of 352 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 22 2010 - 09:20 AM

You could be the proverbial "private collector" who could loan your rare "good condition" item to the studio for the purpose of making a new "dub master" for inclusion on some future release!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#348 of 352 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 22 2010 - 09:42 AM

Possibly...I sure wouldn't pull a Star is Born on WB!

#349 of 352 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,553 posts

Posted March 22 2010 - 11:12 AM

No one should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard View Post

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#350 of 352 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,354 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 23 2010 - 12:36 AM

Yes, its too bad this person who has three copies of the full print of a Star Is Born - (according to Joe Caps) could not loan one of them to WB without the legal problems that would occur.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#351 of 352 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,337 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 23 2010 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard 

In my best Bones voice, "I don't know what that means."

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#352 of 352 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 23 2010 - 05:25 AM

I didn't either Johnny...until I went over and read a six page thread in software about a 6k resolution transfer of A Star is Born.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif