What's new

Large Format Digital Printing (1 Viewer)

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I took some amazing timed exposure digital pictures in Carlsbad Caverns, and want to print at least one to poster size. I've been looking online, and one of the best deals I found was Costco, who will print 20x30 posters for $8.

I don't need breathtaking quality, and the camera is only 6 megapixels, but I would like it to be accurate to the image I took.. I will probably build an inexpensive frame for the poster, myself.

Is this the best deal, or is Costco's poster printing to be avoided?

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine printed up a poster I designed through Costco, and the quality is very good. However, my design was a montage of LA movie theater marquees, not a single shot blown up. If you've got the resolution, I'd say go for it.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Cool. I have heard about some sort of fractal plugin for Photoshop that allows really good enlargements without pixelization. Do you think something like that would be worth persuing as well? I am increasing the size of my image about four times in order to do this print.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For the price (so cheap) I would get one each at costco, mpix and whcc.com and see if you can live with the costco quality or if the services that a custom lab like whcc bring to the table are worth paying to have all yours done up that size.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I use "Genuine Fractals." It's interesting software, and I look forward to the day when it could be applied to real time video.

Anyways, you shouldn't need that for your poster. 6MP will do fine. I could enlarge it for you though if you'd like to see what you'd get.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I upped it in Corel Photo Paint and uploaded it to the Costco system. It will be ready today by one, so it is a $9 experiment that will soon be concluded.

Zack, I may take you up on that if this doesn't work, or possibly for a future attempt. If I like the poster, I plan to print more for family members, so a second version using Genuine Fractals would be a great comparison.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The printed result looked great. I strive for accuracy in color reproduction from my monitors on down, so it looked basically the same as on my screen.

I still want to go back for more photos, but so far I am happy. Thanks, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks