What's new

Why can't we save Quicktime trailers anymore? I wanna keep Minority Report. (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Hey all,

It really pisses me off that I can't save the Minority Report trailer.

Is this a Quicktime Pro (filthy greed) thing, or are Apple and/or the studios being bastards for no apparent reason?

It's such a waste of EVERYYONE's time and effort because (like always) a saveable version will eventually pop up online.

Anyone got a mirror where I can grab the trailer?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

If saveable isn't a word, it is now.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Once you have downloaded the trailer, just right click on the image and choose "save source". Then choose where you wish to save it.

Edit: I just re-read your post. I thought you said that you had Quicktime Pro. But sadly, yes this is a Pro version ability.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's a little of both. Apple wants to seel more QTPro packages, and the studios want to show you the web page more
What they DON'T respect are users on dial-up. I really want to watch those Spider-Man teasers, but my net computer doesn't have the horsepower. My workstation does, so I'll usually throw them over there to watch. But with Spidey I can't. Not only that, but they won't let you save it. It's a TRAILER, it's an AD! You should love the fact we want to download it, and watch it again and again and again! It doesn't cost you a penny!
:frowning:

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Why is it filthy greed? Did QT Pro just create itself? There are no developers that had to be paid?

You seem to want something for nothing. That's what I don't get.

Todd

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
QT Pro has tools that most QT users don't need or want (mostly for actual production purposes). It's basically like if the only way you could save GIFs to your computer was if you had to buy PhotoShop(except for a much lower price for QTPro).

Nobody was buying QTPro because nobody needed it, so they manufactured a reason to force people to buy it.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
No, you don't need QT Pro to save movies. Although that option is not immediately available on the QT interface anymore, there are just a few more steps in order to save movies now.

In my situation, I'm using IE Explorer 5.5 on a iMac OS 9.0.4. Whenever I come across a QT movie I'd like to save, I take the following steps: Macintosh HD: Sytem Folder: Preferences: Explorer: Temporary Files.

The movie you want is in the Temp Files folder. Once the movie is completely downloaded, copy the movie into a separate folder outside the temp files folder.

For those with other operating systems and platforms, just find your browser's cache. You'll be able to download movies galore. This goes for Netscape users too.

Now my question...where can I find a full length, large screen Minority Report trailer? The one I've located is on the Apple Quicktime site. Any other that is longer?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, I just found the other Minority Report thread. Looks like the Apple QT site is the site for trailers.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Rat bastard :angry: ! I tried to save SW:EII, Forbidden Love teaser trailer using the aforementioned method and it doesn't work.
Now I seem to remember why I don't visit the QT site anymore And I agree with Carl wholeheartedly...what it comes down to is this - it's a friggin' commercial!! Pay to save?!! And in the case of the largest format, well you cannot even see it, much less save it, without QT Pro.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I bought Quicktime Pro a week ago and now I can't download a god damn fucking thing. :angry:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've downloaded several videos using the "Temporary Internet Files" method.

Another one would be getting Download Accelerator. This program allows you to download a file as it is being opened into a webpage. The only problem is that some sites will make you click on something before it starts downloading and then there are problems with that, but mostly it works.

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
It can get really tricky to do this but it is possible with all quicktime trailers.
A lot of time you can find the link to the file in the page's code. Then I past the link into Getright (a download util - www.getright.com)
Sometimes this will only download a small ~8k file with a .qt or .mov extension that is not the trailer but a pointer that quicktime uses. You can then open that file in notepad and find the real link in there. You may even find the filename and the URL in seperate places in the file and have to put them together.
There are even more advanced methods for really tricky files as well. You show me a quicktime movie and I can download it and tell you how I did it!

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I still don't understand why studios still believe in the Quicktime format, they should use MPEG like normal people.

A few months ago I bought the CD Single Pretender Got My Heart by Alisha's Attic (A band no one knows here - had to import from England) mainly for the music video. Only to find that the MOV on the disk looks even worst than the 200-something kbps RealVideo file I got from some fan site that someone capped off TV. And to add to the inconsistancy, the CD was using a Windows Autorun system complete interface with pictures and stuff, so why use a Quicktime file when you KNOW it is for Windows users? They could have used Windows Media Video 8 instead and put a 2nd Data Portion for Mac users with the MOV file there (I know this is doable, 2 Data Portions - 1 for each platform)

Why can't they use a DECENT Format??? Ok, so Mac users like MOVs, but what's stopping them from including both MOV and Windows Media, MPEG-4 or something...

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Lucasarts used to be cool too, now they are being really really nasty with their latest stuff, the latest part of R2D2 Beneath the Dome doesn't save a playable file into your temp dir. and if you can get the link to the file it is unplayable normally too

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Quicktime is not a format per-se. It is a framework capable of playing/encoding with various codecs. The quality of the video you complained about has nothing to do with whether or not it is in a .mov file. It does have to do with the original materials, codecs used, and level of compression chosen. You can have a .avi, .dv, .swf, .aiff, .wav, .mp2, .mp3, .mov, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, etc and still have a quicktime file. You can also have a .mov encoded in Cinepak, Sorenson, Animation, or whatever codec you choose at whatever setting you wish. I'd much rather they stick with a member of the quicktime standard than platform exclusive formats like windows media or Intel's indeo.

As for the price, it's running at about $15 a year which I find more than appropriate for the amount of bandwidth used. Microsoft is charging you more just to write .mp3 files and doesn't provide any video editing/exporting/conversion features. Quicktime Pro gives you all that and online media content.

And to add to the inconsistancy, the CD was using a Windows Autorun system complete interface with pictures and stuff, so why use a Quicktime file when you KNOW it is for Windows users?
This is just silly. How do they know it is for Windows users?? Do only Windows users listen to a specific band??? The Mac doesn't need the "Autorun" files to perform the same function, so they obviously aren't included on the disc. What you most likely saw was a Macromedia Director Project that runs on both platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread