-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announce: The Green Berets (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,953 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 06:22 AM

Posted Image 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 08 2009 - 07:48 AM

Considering how haphazard Warners has treated this film in the past, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.  I believe this will be the first anamorphic release.  As bad as this film can be at times (just the ending is enough), it is a fun film and all John Wayne.  It will see it's way into my home.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 09:29 AM

It's quite unbelievable to me that this is the film Warners chose from their back catalogue, rather than, you know, A Star Is Born, or Mr. Roberts, or about five hundred other titles that are better than this quite awful Wayne film.  I am, as always, amazed and astounded at these decisions.  

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 10:41 AM

With the "good" classic titles not selling very well, do they really think the "bad" classics will do any better? /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

I'm really scratching my head over this being selected for BD treatment over a Wayne classic more universally respected such as She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Death before Streaming!

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 11:26 AM

Do John Waynes characters ever die in any of his movies? If so, can someone send me a PM as to what they are?
Warner Brothers has far too many of John Waynes movies on Blu-ray anyway. Why not another Humphrey Bogart? Yes, yes, John Wayne is the greatest actor EVER in the multi-verse...
This is pathetic WB.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 11:37 AM

This is strange. I saw some of this film on TV in the late 70s. It seemed racist, although maybe I missed something. Anyway, racist or not it just seemed like a bad movie. With all of film history to choose from, why this. There are many other better Wayne films (like She Wore A Yellow Ribbon), but I agree with BillyFeldman and RayR that A Star is Born, or really any Judy Garland movie or Bogart movie would be more worthy of the blu treatment.

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,772 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted September 08 2009 - 02:55 PM

Quote:
Do John Waynes characters ever die in any of his movies?

You should see The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 397 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R View Post

Do John Waynes characters ever die in any of his movies?

"The Shootist" and "Sands of Iwo Jima"

#9 of 42 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,215 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have never seen this film and seem to be discovering Waynes films with BD releases... I will blind buy. WB did do some decent cover art on this release. 

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:48 PM

The Cowboys is another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R View Post

Do John Waynes characters ever die in any of his movies? If so, can someone send me a PM as to what they are?

Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted September 08 2009 - 06:32 PM

The only good thing about this film is Miklos Rozsa's music score, which I suppose will sound good in 5.1 Dolby True HD, but it's still a mono film - unless they have completely remixed the soundtrack.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 06:47 PM

I'll say it again, I'm not much of a fan of John Wayne and I'm highly disappointed that ANOTHER Wayne film is out on Blu-ray instead of Warners older catalog titles. And they also released Catwoman./img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
Why not Singin' in the Rain, The Maltese Falcon, Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Thin Man, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Driving Miss Daisy, The Right Stuff, Empire of the Sun, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan - Lord of the Apes and various others.
Warner Brothers, I am dissapoint.

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Danny_N

Danny_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R 

Warner Brothers has far too many of John Waynes movies on Blu-ray anyway.
Warner only released 3 John Wayne movies on BD. I for one am very happy with this release. I will pass on Gone With The Wind and Singin' In The Rain but not The Green Berets /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif. Thank you Warner.

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Posted by Jim_K: With the "good" classic titles not selling very well, do they really think the "bad" classics will do any better?

C'mon, it's the Duke fer cyin' out loud!

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 03:58 AM

Frankly, I like these odd catalog decisions. 

I can understand why people want their favorites released before this admittedly lesser film, but it's sort of an obscure and odd movie to bring to Blu-ray at this stage in the game.

Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 09 2009 - 06:24 AM

Simply put, John Wayne movies sell on home video.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 09 2009 - 08:36 AM

Better than nothing, but how about THE GREAT RACE and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS on Blu?

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,647 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 09 2009 - 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway View Post

Simply put, John Wayne movies sell on home video.

Yes, they do and I'll be buying it, despite it not being one of Duke's best.  I remembered going to see this in a theater with a bunch of buddies back in the day and though the quality of the film isn't very good, it is still one of my guilty pleasures from my youth.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,266 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 02:20 PM

I recently purchased my first BD player and look forward to this release.  Wayne films are usually a lot of fun and this one should be available for a reasonable price at some point.  The Searchers is currently available for under $10 at Amazon and the 2 disc "How...West..Won" is about $15.  In this era of dwindling classics available on legit DVD from WHV it is always good to get a high quality classic for a decent price.

For those wanting other titles...it will be the success of these more salable titles that will ultimately fund the release of the Bogies and other MIA titles.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFini 

Frankly, I like these odd catalog decisions. 

I can understand why people want their favorites released before this admittedly lesser film, but it's sort of an obscure and odd movie to bring to Blu-ray at this stage in the game.

I believe that The Green Berets was the biggest box office hit of 1968 starring arguably the biggest box office star of all time. Not what I would call obscure.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers