Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Godzilla (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,178 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 03:56 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:11 AM

Back in 2007 when this was originally supposed to be released, producer Dean Devlin talked with "Hollywood In Hi-Def" about his films hitting the Blu-ray format, and his comments on Godzilla were very interesting: 

Here's a quote from Devlin regarding Godzilla specifically: 

Quote:
A film I made once called "Godzilla" was designed to be printed on the old-fashioned three-stripe system of Technicolor. Everything we did in post-production was designed for that result and literally, just before the film came out, we were unable to make those prints. There was a technical glitch and we couldn’t make those prints. So we had to move to a different format.

Well, that different format truly hurt the digital effects. They went from being, I think, literally the best digital effects up to that point in our history to looking somewhat shabby. All the blacks got muddy, I lost all the detail within special effects shots. Feet didn’t look like they hit the ground. And suddenly, the effects went from being spectacular to being a C+.

Now, with the new Blu-ray coming out, it’s literally the first time that audiences are going to see the movie the way it was intended to look. Now, you know, just on a technical level, that’s a very interesting thing for us as film makers.

Look, a Blu-ray can’t solve a story problem. All the faults in that film, as far as what I did or didn’t accomplish in the script that I worked on, will remain. However, I think that what people will see if they give it another chance is that, on a technical level, it’s really a lot more exciting and, and was much more revolutionary than people realized. I think that when people see it now, they’re gonna see things that they didn’t before. And I think they’ll actually enjoy the film a lot better. It still won’t make it a great movie, but it’ll be a much better experience.
Very honest comments and they give high hopes for a great presentation.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 06:58 AM

First SD DVD I ever purchased was Godzilla. I'll probably buy this even though I haven't seen it in years. It has a nice price and looks loaded with features. Plus, I like Devlin's comments about it looking like it should have to begin with.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 11:30 AM

It's funny that Jean Reno is practically the best thing about this movie. I used to own the DVD too.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,392 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 01:00 PM

Weird that they call three episodes of an animated series "short films".

Gotta admit I always enjoyed this version of "Godzilla".  It's got lots and lots of flaws, but dammit, it's fun.  I look forward to the Blu-ray... 
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,940 posts

Posted October 25 2009 - 02:51 PM

Bad movie - great fun..looking forward to this on Blu!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 943 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA

Posted October 26 2009 - 02:42 AM

Can't wait to add this to my sci-fi/horror collection in BD!
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My HT equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,729 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 26 2009 - 03:49 AM

I'll never forget sitting in a theater before this film was released and watching the trailers. 

Without knowing what was going on, they showed the entire scene from the film of the old man walking down the pier and throwing his fishing line in the water and making his "big catch."

I'll always remember thinking afterwards...this is one film I've GOT to see! 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted October 26 2009 - 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon [url=/forum/thread/292589/sphe-press-release-godzilla-blu-ray#post_3621416]
The teasers for this film were much better than the actual film itself. This one, with the old man was actually in the movie. The other one, with a class having a tour in a museum and a T-Rex skeleton getting trampled by Godzilla's foot, was brilliant as well. Not a very subtle jab at the Jurassic Park movies, but they were great for getting interest in the movie. Too bad that wasn't as good.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#10 of 11 ONLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,477 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 26 2009 - 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon [url=/forum/thread/292589/sphe-press-release-godzilla-blu-ray#post_3621416]
Me too I was so hyped to see that movie so it worked, but then I saw the  movie.

I was fine with all the stupid stuff going on especially in MSG but then the way they killed Godzilla or tortured
it by trapping it in the wires of the bridge was just too far for me, I didn't like that one bit.

I won'r buy this on blu ut i'll rent it to see what it looks like.

facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,542 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted October 31 2009 - 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ray_R 

It's funny that Jean Reno is practically the best thing about this movie. I used to own the DVD too.
And the worst thing about the film was the female lead.  She (don't remember her name) was terrible.

So what are they going to do different when putting this on blu-ray?  Will the print the film with the 3-strip method and than transfer to blu?  I don't recall there was any problem with effects either in the theater or on the DVD.  I thought they were pretty good.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users