Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

quality wireless sub?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 05:55 PM

so i was just looking at the magnolia/bb website to see if they're still carrying martin logan.  i knew the dynamo was being heavily discounted at audio advisor and saturday audio ($470+/- from $650).  you had to figure it was to make way for the new line.  when i saw the new entry level sub listed on the magnolia site (dynamo 500 $499, and the idiots who set their site up list the variable crossover as the freq range.)  so i headed over the martinlogan website to find out what's actually going on.  the dynamo and abyss are being replace by the dynamo 500, 700 and 1000.  the 500 is like the dynamo light and is ported instead of sealed like the old dynamo and the 700 and 1000.  the 700 is the closest to the old dynamo with a little more power and extension.  the 1000 is more like the abyss again specing a little better.  the numbers all roughly approximate the list price, $500, $700 and $1000, i'm sure they'll be a bit below this.

the most interesting thing is that the 700 and 1000 both come with a built in receiver for a proprietary wireless transmitter that is available separately from ML.  i have now idea what the sound quality i like from this but owning one of their products and knowing their reputation, i would think this can't sound too bad.  personally i'd use a cable if there was any way i could but for people who find it's no cable or no sub, this could be a great option.

this is from ML's facebook page:

Quote:
David, we will post more technical information on the wireless technology after we return from CEDIA EXPO 2009. Here are the basics... MartinLogan engineers designed the SWT-1 with an uncompressed 16-bit/48-kHz sampling rate (exceeding the current CD standard of 16-bit/44.1-kHz), which has proven more than adequate (and accurate!) for use in thewireless transmission of low-frequency information below 200 Hz. And since the RF transmission is digital it is error-checked to ensure no deviation from the original signal. The ML SWT-1 operates in the 2.4 GHz frequency range. MartinLogan engineers included an integrated RF power amplifier that provides a 15 dBm RF power level to reduce interference. Stray RF interference is also reduced through our use of Adaptive FHSS operation (think Bluetooth technology, it’s similar!).
i know 2.4Ghz used to mess with my wifi...  it's all very curious...
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.