Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: An American Werewolf in London - Full Moon Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 12:38 PM

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
But in the midst of what was the strongest film of Landis’ career, we can also see the signs of what would be his downfall only a year later on the Indian Dunes location of Twilight Zone: The Movie. 
Can you elaborate? Other than the wolf cage, what other signs could you see? 

(I don't want this thread to go off-topic; the TZ disaster has always been of great interest to me.)

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,291 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 01:38 PM

I always really enjoyed this movie and will certainly pick it up at some point.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 02:32 PM

Scott,

The wolf cage is the biggest sign - that he would knowingly endanger someone, and apparently think this is a funny story to laugh about these days.  But the mayhem in Piccadilly Circus is another sign - something that was described to me out of The Blues Brothers as less a stunt sequence than a series of staged accidents.  The sequence in the tube station is another one - he had an actor very sick with the flu and a steadicam operator both running as fast as they could on slick surfaces.  In all of those cases, he got great shots and his movie was enhanced.  And he also reinforced the idea in his own head that such a situation could be acceptable or even desirable in the making of a great movie. 

The thing is, had he not done what he did on Twilight Zone, his career would likely have taken a different direction.  I believe that this film shows he was capable of something deeper and more thoughtful.  But after the trial and everything else that followed his actions at Indian Dunes, I don't believe he ever recovered.  It's a sad statement about hubris and about what happens when you tread dangerously too many times.  This film is a sign of his potential - what he could have achieved had he not gone the way he did. And it's simultaneously a sign of what was coming.  That's why I have mixed emotions about watching the film.   Because the man who gave us the ending to this film was capable of so much more than The Stupids and episodes of Psych.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,446 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 07 2009 - 04:05 PM

I guess this is a horror film, but I think of it as a monster movie.
For me this is the scariest movie I have ever seen, but not because of what I see in the movie but what I don't see.

The Don't walk on the moores section just scares the bleep outta me.
The sounds of the creatures(s) once these guys realize were they are gives me the chills.

Anytime you hear the creature and don't see it, I think is just great scare factor in this movie.

The guy running in the Tube, the howling heard by the people at the party.
Now I am not saying this movie is as good as Jaws but this movie works for me as a werewolf movie the way Jaws works as a shark movie.

There is one somewhat graphic scene that I had no clue was going to happen and I love the scare there too.

I love this movie and it's my favorite Horror/Monster movie.

facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:53 AM

This is one of the best horror films out there (although I still prefer The Howling), and I can't wait to get this BD.

I'm glad to hear there was no DNR applied to this transfer!  I'm very excited.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA

Posted September 08 2009 - 12:00 PM

Well, it seems some guys over at AVS have and have done a side by side comparison with the HDDVD and it looks the same...no work whatsoever has been done to it.

What we need here are some scene grabs from both discs so we can judge.

I cancelled my order to be on the safe side because I don't need 2 HDDVDs!
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My HT equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:15 PM

John, I'm not sure about that, but you never know.  I wouldn't trust screen grabs exclusively.

I can only tell you what I am seeing on the disc, and I didn't have a problem with it.  The other thing that you're missing is the new documentary - but you could always rent it if you like.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts
  • LocationMenifee, CA

Posted September 08 2009 - 05:20 PM

Kevin,
Good idea, I'll rent it and do my own comparison. I rely on 3 sites including this one for their take on new releases and so far I haven't been steered wrong...I hope!

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My HT equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted October 05 2009 - 06:47 AM

For my money, this is the best werewolf movie ever made.  Always a joy to watch, and even if you edited it to minimize the laughs, it would still stand as a better horror film than 99% of what is in movie theaters today.  I also like the look of the blu ray very much, and I know that Landis personally made sure that it stayed "dark and grainy" the way he intended.  Essential October viewing.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted October 06 2009 - 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by John Sparks 

Well, it seems some guys over at AVS have and have done a side by side comparison with the HDDVD and it looks the same...no work whatsoever has been done to it.

...I cancelled my order to be on the safe side because I don't need 2 HDDVDs!
John, on my calibrated 53" set they do indeed look the same.  I actually thought the HD DVD looked so much better than the DVD.  If you don't own an HD version of this film, this is an easy recommendation.  If you already have the HD DVD,  I'd still recommend an upgrade based on the following...

Sound is upgraded to lossless.  Whether you notice a difference will depend on you.

Beware the Moon - 90 minute doc, new.  Paul Davis finds pretty much everyone still alive and revisits many of the locations.  Comes over as a labour of love, very worth watching.

7 minute new HD interview with Rick Baker.  Haven't watched this, but am just noting it here.

While all the extras from the HD DVD are present, they are all on the SAME SIDE here.  On the HD DVD, you had to flip the disc over to the SD side to watch the extras as they didn't bother to include them on the HD side.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users