Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Adventureland -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,604 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 11:44 AM

Greg Mottola's (Superbad) Adventureland from Miramax (Disney) is a relatively sweet tale of growing up in the mid-'80s, which is quite unlike the way that it was represented in TV advertising.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the story, while not terribly deep, does allow for some good performances, most notably from a very low key Jesse Eisenberg (The Squid and the Whale), and an equally low key Kristen Stewart (Panic Room).

Adventureland looks just fine on Blu-ray.  It should, as it's derived from a 2k DI, and is presented with audio in DTS HD format, which probably isn't necessary for the film.

What I found odd, and strangely disturbing, is what some may perceive as a bit of potentially false advertising.

Many R rated films are released to home video in "unrated" versions.  In most cases they contain virtually nothing that would up their rating.  They simply have not been reviewed by the MPAA, making them "unrated."  Understand, that if Disney decided to make a small change in Bambi, and decided to bypass the MPAA, that it too would be "unrated."

Emblazoned on front cover in large type, is the word UNRATED.

Whatever, one might ponder, has been added?

The answer is nothing, as the UNRATED nomenclature refers, as it does on virtually every other home video release, to Bonus Features.  Just below the UNRATED verbiage are two additional words -- Bonus features.  As an aside, there is little within the "bonus feature" category that needs one's attention.  Bonus features, which started their existence as still frame galleries and commentary tracks, along with other items of interest on early Criterion laser discs, have reached a point at which during production, time and dollars are spent on what can be added to the DVD as bonus material.

It's time that an important point was understood.  

Not every film needs, or merits, bonus material.  Adventureland is one of them.

As noted above, Adventureland is a sweet little film that looks just fine on Blu-ray, and is worth a rental.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 07:04 AM

As children of the 80's, my wife and I really enjoyed this one. They really nailed the period much like "The Wedding Singer" did as far as clothing, the look and detail, and of course the tunes. The Master Audio track didn't do much for us although the songs came alive when needed. And Bill Hader is a riot.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 09 2009 - 04:03 PM

I watched it but didn't "get it".

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 15 2009 - 03:42 AM

This one was such a pleasant surprise that I watched it from Netflix, returned it and promptly bought the BD.

It's one of my favorite films of the year. 
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 17 2009 - 09:22 AM

I thought the kid was too clueless for a college grad, maybe a junior college. and the girl's musical taste was too perfect - Replacements, Bowie, Big Star, Bauhaus... nothing too obscure for that era, she was too cool to be believed
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 17 2009 - 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd View Post

and the girl's musical taste was too perfect - Replacements, Bowie, Big Star, Bauhaus... nothing too obscure for that era, she was too cool to be believed

That's true for most period pieces though. If someone makes a movie set in the 1960's, the characters usually listen to something that has stood the test of time rather than some song that is lame, forgotten or obscure.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

That's true for most period pieces though. If someone makes a movie set in the 1960's, the characters usually listen to something that has stood the test of time rather than some song that is lame, forgotten or obscure.
Exactly.  The "too cool to be believed" criticisms (I've seen them in similar movies) seems to forget the fact that they are watching fictional movies meant to reflect the period, not documentaries.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Don May Jr

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 01:36 AM

Me, too!  I just rented it from Netflix and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I was in college in the mid 80s and remember a lot of the music, etc.  I'll be buying this one as soon as I can find it fairly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFini 

This one was such a pleasant surprise that I watched it from Netflix, returned it and promptly bought the BD.

It's one of my favorite films of the year. 

Kindest Regards,

Don May, Jr. - President, Synapse Films
http://www.synapse-films.com

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow View Post

Exactly.  The "too cool to be believed" criticisms (I've seen them in similar movies) seems to forget the fact that they are watching fictional movies meant to reflect the period, not documentaries.
documentaries are even worse when it comes to music. go for the easy tune.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus