What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ M*A*S*H -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Altman's M*A*S*H was a low budget affair, now almost forty years old, that turned out to be not only one of the best films of 1970, but one of the highest grossing. With a superb cast of both experienced as well as new talent, M*A*S*H was, and still is, in a class by itself.

Set during the Korean War, but sending clear messages about the then current conflict in Vietnam, M*A*S*H was a crowd pleaser. Its famous outdoor set, located in Calabasas, CA in Malibu Creek State Park, according to IMDb, was also used for the extremely popular television series, spawned two years later, which ran from 1972 - 1983.

The film was also photographed with enough filtration to choke a horse. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it just was. What it means today, especially on Blu-ray, is that a certain portion of the home theater community will most assuredly find faults in focus, black levels, and overall resolution. What is really important in this instance, is that Blu-ray allows the film to look proper, and by that I mean as it did in theaters forty years ago.

Those who aren't familiar with M*A*S*H might best steer clear of reviews, go in cold, sit back with a beer or two, and experience a film that has beautifully stood the test of time.

As for the packaging, this release reminds me, once again, how much I dislike "ecologically healthy" packaging. While it would certainly be nice thing if the earth stuck around for another few years, I'd also like to have Blu-rays get full protection. Not titanium encapsulation, but a solid, generic Blu-ray case.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Thanks for the review... and I think MASH holds up well on BD.

I am very glad to hear someone else say how much the eco cases are not very... well collector friendly, or should we say not well made.

I get bashed on other forum boards over these cases, everyone says they are so much more eco friendly and help the environment. I guess my issue is I don't buy a DVD or a Blu-Ray to throw the cases away!

If I am gonna pay 29.99 for a BD of MASH then let I deserve to purchase a CASE that can secure the BD and keep the cover art insert protected. These cases don't protect the cover art well at all in fact most cases it destroys the cover art from the security anti-theft stickers in the cases! It clings to the cover art insert paper and you kinda have to deal with it.

There is NOTHING wrong with a sturdy case to house a BD or a DVD.

But we shouldn't stray so much from the topic and that is, MASH and the BD transfer.

I am sure a lot of people will complain that it isn't very detailed etc at times, but hopefully as we progress through more and more classic films being released on BD in HD transfers others will become more educated on film stock; limitations, and variations.

I hope to see more Altman classics released on BD... I would love 3 Women (Criterion/FOX) and Nashville (Paramount) Released.

Thanks Robert Harris!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get bashed on other forum boards over these cases, everyone says they are so much more eco friendly and help the environment. I guess my issue is I don't buy a DVD or a Blu-Ray to throw the cases away!
I don't like the cases either but none of us are going to live forever so all the cases are going to end up in a landfill some day and when they do, there will be less plastic not rotting away.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TravisR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like the cases either but none of us are going to live forever so all the cases are going to end up in a landfill some day and when they do, there will be less plastic not rotting away.
I dont know about you, but i want to take mine with me!
I just toss my eco cases. Doing my part, i guess. Lets be real, its about saving a penny (for everyone but us), not a tree.
I did have to copy the Big Trouble in Little China art, as my ART was crushed in shipping!
-Anyway-
Thanks for the review Mr. Harris. I am gonna buy this. Just waiting for an UNDER $20 price point. Its close to it now. But i want it under the price. And, i have to much to buy this month anyway. [cough]Star Trek[cough]

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The eco cases seem fine until the shrink wrap, which holds the piece in shape is removed. It then becomes a bit too pliable for my taste, while the contents do not.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thanks for your thoughts on MASH. I held off purchasing this until I heard something from you. I was very worried that they would try to change the look of the original film. The photography was one of many reasons that the film was so unique at the time and one of the reasons this is an all time favorite of mine. I must have seen it over a dozen times in theatres over the years and held my breath over the Blu-ray release since it is from Fox. Now I can breath.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Old thread, I know, but I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here...what was the reasoning behind the cropping that actually cuts both sides of the title card off during the opening credits? Overall, I love the BD presentation, but having part of the title cropped is just...weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks