Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SEA HUNT: Showing on THIS network- New hope for DVD release?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 of 48 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted September 22 2012 - 01:12 PM

According to a post yesterday on the TV Shows On DVD site , A company called TTG Direct will be issuing 60 episodes of Sea Hunt on DVD this fall. They will be issuing 60 episodes of Bat Masterson as well.

#22 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted September 24 2012 - 08:26 AM

Lou, where did you get the 60 episode number. I don't see 60 episodes noted at Amazon or TVSHOWSONDVD. The runtimes at amazon for the big box seems like it would be more like 55 episodes at 26 min each. 26 minute versions of SEA HUNT are still showing on THISTV.

#23 of 48 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted September 24 2012 - 02:35 PM

Bob, Actually I saw it on the Bat Masterson box and assumed it pertained to both shows. ( I just double checked and Bat M actually has 64 episodes). I was in a rush to get info on this site so I just took it for granted both box sets would contain the same amount of episodes - 8 discs with 8 episodes each. . I'm hoping for the entire series at one point, but even 55 episodes is better than none. But lets hope we eventually see season sets . And your right , complete and nicely mastered episodes have run on TV recently so they should be the same on the DVDs.

#24 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted September 26 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks, Lou. I don't think we can always trust the runtimes on Amazon listings. It would be great if they could do three, 55-64 episode, big boxes for the whole 155 episode series of SEA HUNT. There would even be plenty of room for the two episodes that were originally filmed in color, if they can be found. Buying individual 12 episode volumes, assuming they are coming for SEA HUNT, would be pretty expensive online, if you can't find them in Walmart.

#25 of 48 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 01:09 AM

This is the list of episodes for the 24-hour marathon set. I found it at the amazon site under editorial reviews. I don't know if these are in order or random. EPISODES: Sixty Feet Below (Pilot Episode) Rapture of the Deep, Mark of the Octopus, Sea Sled, Female of the Species, Mr. Guinea Pig, Gold Below, Recovery, Killer Whale, The Shark Cage, The Poacher, Girl in the Trunk, The Sponge Divers, Diamond River, Alligator Story, Legend of the Mermaid, The Shipwreck, The Big Dive, Birthday Present, The Amphibian, Decoy, The Sea Has Ears, The Alcatraz Story, Underwater Labyrinth, The Briefcase, Cave Diving, Treasure Hunt, Sea Serpent, The Female, Proof of Guilt, Chained, Ransom, Counterfeit, Jade Cavern, Pirate Gold, The Living Fossil, Sacred Pool, Cindy, Cross Current, The Vase, The Missing Link, Beyond Limits, Man Overboard, Point of No Return, River Treasure, Vital Error Sterling of Lamatsue, Rescue, Hot Tracer, Amigo, Survival Kit, Expedition, Bionics, Niko, Cougar, Quicksand, Lost Island, Baby, Dark Evil, Sunken Car, Imposter, Superman, P.T. Boat, Skipper
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#26 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thanks Ron. So that's 64 episodes out of 155. Looks like they are from all seasons. I hope TGG releases the rest of the series. The price at Amazon is a good deal but since I was able to record all but one episode from THIS-TV, I 'll wait a bit, to see if the set becomes available elsewhere online even cheaper. SEA HUNT is a wonderful program and I think Lloyd Bridges is great as Mike Nelson. Bridges' performance makes Mike Nelson one of TV's most memorable characters. Watching the all the episodes, it's surprising that they really don't repeat plots very much. A very inventive program. Another actor to look for is Ken Drake, who appears in tons of Sea Hunt episodes in various disquises, playing all sorts of characters. My favorite Sea Hunt babes include: Lisa Gaye, Joi Lansing, June Blair, Linda Lawson, Nancy Hale, and especially Jan Harrison..wow! The other surprising thing was realizing that 95% of the underwater stuff was Courtney Brown doubling Lloyd Bridges. I think the only episode that was 95% Llloyd Bridges was maybe the pilot, and the one where Mike Nelson was teaching some swimsuit models how to SCUBA dive. I wonder why that was?

#27 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 08:07 AM

BREAKING NEWS: importcds.com is showing SEA HUNT Complete Seasons 1,2,3, and 4, from TGG, up for pre-order for Nov.6, 2012 release. $10.79, plus postage, per season until 11/4/12. http://www.importcds...Guided/Sea+Hunt Edit: 10/14/12- importcds.com has raised the pre-order price of these sets to $11.20, and has removed the on sale until 11/4/12 notation.

#28 of 48 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 07:34 PM

I suppose first question is - are these pressed or dvd-rs? It's great to see them getting released; my early sampling of the best-of-season-1 of Bat Masterson showed pretty spiffy prints..

#29 of 48 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 15 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm not crazy about DVD-R's . Does TGG Direct usually issue it's products in that format? I"ll still buy them but I'm hoping for factory - pressed DVDs , and I don't mind paying more for them , especially for a show like Sea Hunt.

#30 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted October 15 2012 - 03:08 PM

SEA HUNT Seasons 1-4, from TGG will most certainly be pressed DVDs. TGG is a budget outfit, with a deal with MGM. With a small catalog of under 600 titles on DVD TGG uses the old style of mass producing titles at a cheaper selling price. The current preorder price, at importcds for SEA HUNT is $11.20 per 39 episode season, a tremendous bargain for a great show like SEA HUNT. (importcds.com is part of the Deepdiscount.com and Critic's Choice group, in case anyone has never heard of them. I didn't hear of them until someone here at HTF recommended them for the Olive releases. I ordered about 6 titles from them in the past two months as they had the best price, including the BAT MASTERSON Best of Season 1 Vol 1, from TGG, which was on two pressed DVDs.

#31 of 48 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 05:17 AM

All 4 seasons of Sea Hunt are due out in November. Cool

#32 of 48 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 16 2012 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll certainly be ordering all seasons of Sea Hunt (and Bat Masterson). I'll be looking forward to future MGM releases from TGG Direct.

#33 of 48 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted October 16 2012 - 11:53 PM

I checked with TV Shows on DVD and they had not heard of this. They are going to check with their contacts at TGG to get more info.

#34 of 48 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 12:20 AM

I checked with TV Shows on DVD and they had not heard of this. They are going to check with their contacts at TGG to get more info.

I checked tvshowsondvd.com's bootleg list to see if importcds.com was on that list and found nothing, so at this time I'll just have to wait and see if there is any truth to this. :confused:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#35 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 01:07 AM

It's very frustrating to post on this board and not be believed. Anyway thanks, Lou.

#36 of 48 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:17 AM

It's very frustrating to post on this board and not be believed. Anyway thanks, Lou.

The problem with the grapevine is that 90% of what you hear is Baloney, and of the remaining 10 %, 90% of that is GROSSLY Exaggerated. :confused:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#37 of 48 OFFLINE   Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:34 AM

It's not the grapevine. It's DVD titles, with release dates, from a real company, TGG Direct, which has a deal with MGM, up for preorder at the websites of real companies, Critic's Choice and importcds.com so far.

#38 of 48 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted October 17 2012 - 02:45 AM

Yes, it has been on those sites for a few days along with the Bat Masterson sets Surprised TVShowsonDVD have not picked up on it.

#39 of 48 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,755 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 06:05 AM

importcd is a legitimate site that sells through Amazon. So I am surprised Amazon has not listed them yet

#40 of 48 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted October 17 2012 - 11:29 AM

I stumbled across two episodes of SEA HUNT tonight, which were show on the MGM/THIS  network. The episodes looked great! Since two other shows in the THIS mix of programing are coming out soon on DVD, THE PATTY DUKE SHOW S-1, from Shout Factory and MR ED S-1 from MGM, I am hoping that Sea Hunt's resurfacing on THIS will give the show the visibilty to create some interest, so MGM or one of the independent DVD producers will get this classic out there on DVD. Sea Hunt starred Lloyd Bridges, as SCUBA diving adventurer Mike Nelson, in 156 episodes.  The show was  syndicated and produced between 1957 and 1961. In my area it was show once a week on Saturdays until about 1971.  I have not seen it again until tonight. Sea Hunt, like BAT MASTERSON, also being shown on THIS network, was produced by  ZIV. Both Sea Hunt and Bat Masterson look in really nice shape. It's nice to see after all this time that MGM has done a nice job preserving these ZIV shows. I'll try to record some of these Sea Hunt's, but with the odd scheduling, digital breakup with the old rabbit ears, THIS logo, and commercials, I really hope Sea Hunt makes it to DVD, soon.  THIS has scheduled four more Sea Hunt episodes: 3:30-4:00 AM EST on Friday Sept 11, Sat. Sept 12, Tuesday Sept 15,and Wed Sept 16.

The solution to the problem of getting THIS TV on antenna is not to use rabbit ears, but to get a good outdoor antenna that's digital and HD ready.

This is just so frustrating.  This meaning the situation, not the channel.  One again, just like with the RTN locals, we have another channel that is willing to show some vintage material - but it's not national!!!!!!  I cannot emphasize enough how utterly maddening this is.  I'll say it again: Until one of these stations is carried nationally by Direct TV it means zilch to me.  If it's not on Direct TV it's not national, plain and simple. Gary "only cable company subscribers are benefitting from this arrangement, but I'm not giving them a dime of my money - it's satellite all the way for me (and many, many others)" O.

Maybe you should write the channels concerned and ask them to start transmitting on satellite! :D

It doesn't bother me that much. I suspect they do it to cut down on someone taping the shows (many of them aren't on video and haven't been seen in a while) and selling them on E-Bay. I'm more bothered about shows out of order - both broadcast order and occasionally running order. One night they ran the last segment of Adam-12 in the 2nd block and just continued on. That's the type of sloppiness that will drive viewers away.

It is indeed what's being done, but it's really mostly done for station identification purposes (stations no longer say, 'We pause now for station identification' and then say, "This is WXYZ, Anytown, USA"). Also, as you may have noticed, TV sets don't have channel counters in them anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users