Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you refurbish/fix your gas BBQ, or toss/replace it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,878 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted September 05 2009 - 12:34 PM

I spent today performing my every-two-years maintenance on my gas BBQ.
It's a three burner "Turbo" model made by Barbeques Galore.  Back in 1991 when I bought it, Barbeques Galore's models were all made in Australia to fine quality specifications.  The burners are cast metal with holes drilled for the gas to come out and burn - much better control of the flames that way.  The grills are cast iron.  The cart is jarra wood, some extreme hardwood version of eucalyptus they have in Oz.  The metal hood is porcelain black coated.  They give a 5 year unconditional warranty. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif">

Over the years I've fixed it up and see no reason to replace it anytime soon.  The original cast iron burners rusted out at about 4.5 years, so at 4 years 10 months I brought my sales receipt with the rusty burners and rusty grate into the store.  They gave me new ones with no questions asked.  I also brought in the propane tank at about 3 years because I could smell gas even when disconnected - I barely got into the store with the tank until someone grabbed it from me, took it outside, and handed me a new tank no questions asked. 

After warranty, I've replaced the cast iron burners with cast stainless steel, replaced the grills once, replaced the tank pressure valve, and taken the wood cart down and sanded/stained it.  A treatment with auto rubbing compound keeps the porcelain looking decent.

Today I did my maintenance on the BBQ:  take it all apart, clean it, and added two wood supports to the cart.  The upper portion of the cart was held together with a single cross board, lying right under the BBQ.  It had charred part way through so I added two cross boards of the same dimension wood.  Since jarra isn't available in the US I got some heart redwood from Lowes.  After a new coat of stain I reassembled it and it's good as new - at over 18 years old.

My Question:

Do you guys refurb and fix up your old BBQ?  Or do you toss it every  3-4 years and buy a new one?  <br /></span>
<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class=
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 05 2009 - 02:34 PM

I used to get the relatively cheap ones, around $100-150, so I'd just replace it every few years but the last one I bought 2 years ago cost about $200 (but was actually worth much more) so I'll be keeping it for quite a while. I'm going to find the time to maintain and refurbish it.

On a side note, I've also been buying old speakers (mostly Infinity's) on ebay and CL and repairing them for re-sale. Bought 5 pair and sold three. Still working on the other two. I'm not making much money on them but I'm having fun, learning a few things and meeting some nice people.  Hmmm...I wonder if there's a market for repaired/refurbished gas grills? Maybe next year .
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 03:16 PM

I buy cheap $100-$125 grills that last me about 3 years. We don't entertain much so the small grill is enough for a family of 5.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 12:32 AM

My last BBQ grill cost about $120 or so on clearance at the end of the season in 1997.  It lasted me 10 years because I replaced the internals (burners, lava rocks, grates) every few years.  And that was a cheap cast aluminum bottom of the line grille.  Worked good till I finally trashed it - the cart was rusting and I had a new deck that I didn't want rust flaking on.  My current grille I plan on keeping just as long or longer.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,228 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 08 2009 - 01:27 AM

I give my BBQ grills a thorough cleaning mid-season and then at the end of the season...and store them inside (garage) during the off-season.  Mine easily last 10+ years. 

I'm pretty much a klutz mechanically...but even I find maintenance (burner replacement, etc.) on gas grills to be pretty simple stuff. 

I also picked up a nice stainless model at an end-of-year clearance sale last time out.  I expect this one will last quite a long time. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:16 AM

The first one I had lasted about 10 years and I replaced the burners once. The second I bought last year only cost $107 and I plan to just throw it away in a couple of years. I found with the first one that it never worked as good after I replaced the burners.
The Legend is better than reality!

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 08 2009 - 04:37 AM

I am on my second.  I had my first cheaper on for 5+ years and plan on keeping my more expensive one that has 4 years on it for another 5+ years minimum.  Every year I do a good cleaning and inspection.  Based on this years inspection I think I will need to replace one or two burners next year.  The trick is getting replacement parts that are an exact match to the original parts.  When I ordered "original" replacement parts for our first grill (a Sunbeam), nothing lined up right.  The current grill is a Weber so I don't think that will be a problem.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 260 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted September 08 2009 - 02:45 PM

I bought my Weber 8 years ago, and I've replaced the igniter, and am getting ready for my third set of grates.  I am thinking that the burners might go out sometime after their warranty (10 yrs), and new grates every 3 yrs or so, but other than cleaning it out every spring I imagine I'll have it for quite some time.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell

Second Unit

• 490 posts
  • LocationOverland Park KS

Posted September 10 2009 - 01:37 PM

I bought our Broil King 13 years ago.  At that time it cost about $450.  In the 13 years I replaced the grates under warranty in about 3 years after it was purchased and have had the same grates for 10 years and they still work just fine.  The first ones were actually recalled due to a manufacturing defect.  This past weekend I ordered a new burner, briquette grate, and briquettes.  The cost was about $100.  I also repainted the grill box (aluminum where the black paint started to peel) this past weekend with grill paint.  The grill stays outside all year long here in KC, except we do keep a cover over it when not in use.

Prior to buying that grill I went through two "cheapies" in about 3 years.  Probably about $200 worth of grills in 3 years.

I am very happy with the Broil King and hope it lasts another 13 years!!

We grill probably 4 times a week during the spring / summer / fall and occasionally in the winter when the weather is mild.

Mike

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   James Lee

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted September 11 2009 - 09:50 AM

Dumb question: How do you dispose of an old gas BBQ grill? Take it to the local landfill? I'd like to get a new one, but I have to get rid of the old one first.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 12 2009 - 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lee 

Dumb question: How do you dispose of an old gas BBQ grill? Take it to the local landfill? I'd like to get a new one, but I have to get rid of the old one first.

I just take the tank off and put it by the road on trash day.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted September 14 2009 - 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobbins View Post

I just take the tank off and put it by the road on trash day.

I do the same thing, but as with other large items, I call the trash people to make sure they know that a large item will be at my address.

Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,333 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 14 2009 - 11:17 AM

So, I'm wondering, do you all just toss and replace your Mercedes Benz every couple of years, or maintain it? Me, I like to hand polish its inlaid teak accents and clean the leather seats and have Fritz, my  German mechanic, do a thorough tuneup and clean the points every six months. But how about you?

(/img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif I bought the Mazda 3 equivalent of grills. I clean it up a bit before each use, and need to replace the starter battery, it seems. But I expect I'll drive it into the ground and then replace it.)

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted September 14 2009 - 01:17 PM

We're on our second Whirlpool grill, the latest a stainless steel model, and both housewarming gifts from the mother-in-law. The first one basically rusted out from being left outside but was still useable with some work. A call to Goodwill took that one off our hands.
The newest one is five years old and sits under a screened in porch but we are on our third set of cast iron burners due to the holes rusting out. 
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 14 2009 - 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF 

So, I'm wondering, do you all just toss and replace your Mercedes Benz every couple of years, or maintain it? Me, I like to hand polish its inlaid teak accents and clean the leather seats and have Fritz, my  German mechanic, do a thorough tuneup and clean the points every six months. But how about you?

(../../img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif I bought the Mazda 3 equivalent of grills. I clean it up a bit before each use, and need to replace the starter battery, it seems. But I expect I'll drive it into the ground and then replace it.)

Mercedes!? Mazda3!?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Try Yugo! I buy the cheapest around! I have tried to replace burners, but it just doesn't seem to work the same. So for the price of the new burner and grate, I am 1/2 way towards the cost of a new one.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,333 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 14 2009 - 02:10 PM

Dave, you're in the backwaters of Kentucky. I figured you just grabbed some deadwood and hosted a bonfire! :) (that's how we did it when I was in Kentuckiana!)

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted September 14 2009 - 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF 

Dave, you're in the backwaters of Kentucky. I figured you just grabbed some deadwood and hosted a bonfire! :) (that's how we did it when I was in Kentuckiana!)
 /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif  Not much deadwood around here. Basically a farmer sold some land by a road and some houses were built. The only trees are the ones that I planted.

http://khm2.google.c...2739&z=15&s=Gal Actually my house is not even in the picture yet.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   bbqfixer

bbqfixer

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 14 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi guys I found this guide it was really helpful for me when I was ready to throw my bbq out. It would cost me a fortune for a new one, Instead it cost me £8 to repair great tips check it out...

http://paulynlloydwr...aving-ideas.php