Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SUPERNATURAL - Season 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#1 of 107 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 05 2009 - 07:33 AM

Quickly approaching the debut of the fifth (and possibly final?) season of Supernatural. Season premiere is on Thursday, Sept 10.  Lucifer is rising and Paris Hilton will be guest starring (on or about Ep 5).  Not sure which is scarier. /img/vbsmilies/htf/eek.gif

Fingers crossed that this will not be the final season of SN.  I'm still not sure I'm liking how far they've strayed from the original premise of the series, but it's still a darn good show. Creator Eric Kripke says this season will end the 5-year arc he'd envisioned for the series and, as far as he's concerned it's over. Not sure if that's the truth, or if he just wants a nice raise to keep going.

The CW is likely to be interested in continuing beyond this season, as SN remains one of the highest rated series on the network, performing well in the highly competitive Thursday night slot, and seems to be gaining buzz with each passing season. They've even shuffled Smallville off to the Friday night graveyard in order to pair SN with the new Vampire Diaries on the lucrative Thursday night schedule.  So it's likely they may be willing to pony up a few more bucks to keep the show, but whether it's enough to keep Kripke, Padalecki, and Ackles on board remains to be seen.

It would certainly help if the ratings continue to rise (as they did in Season 4 over Season 3). Perhaps the current fascination with brooding teenage vampires will make lead-in Vampire Diaries a hit and bring even more eyeballs to SN.

Titles of the first few eps.  I don't think they're that descriptive, but spoilerized just in case:
    [*]Sympathy for the Devil[*]Good God, Y'All[*]Free to Be You and Me[*]The End[*]Fallen Idols

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#2 of 107 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 05 2009 - 11:08 AM

I'm conflicted about them going on after this year. I'd love to see Sam and Dean's adventures continue on but I also like the idea of ending their long term story and going out and leaving the fans wanting more. My guess is that they intend to end the season with the guys riding off into the sunset so a potential sixth season can pick up where they leave off or have that be the ending for the series.

And like you, I think The Vampire Diaries will be a great lead-in for Supernatural. From what I've heard of that show (a weekly series about a high school girl that has to choose between two pretty vampires sounds like a Twilight fan's dream come true), it'll be the biggest show on The CW.

#3 of 107 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,764 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 12:20 AM

I look forward to Thursday to see how good Vampire Diaries really is.  I will watch Supernatural regardless of my take on Vampire Diaries.

#4 of 107 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 01:09 AM

Quick bump to remind people that the season premiere airs tonight.

#5 of 107 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 02:54 PM

So Castiel is now working for the big guy...for real.   :)
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 107 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,764 posts

Posted September 11 2009 - 12:39 AM

Yep.  I think they were hinting that the Creator Himself pulled Dean and Sam out to save them and brought Castiel back.  So seems the "angels" are NOT following God's plan after all.  Interesting.

#7 of 107 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted September 11 2009 - 12:56 AM

Maybe they also lied and there is an actual sword?

#8 of 107 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,764 posts

Posted September 11 2009 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post

Maybe they also lied and there is an actual sword?

That is also possible.

#9 of 107 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 11 2009 - 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly 

Yep.  I think they were hinting that the Creator Himself pulled Dean and Sam out to save them and brought Castiel back.  So seems the "angels" are NOT following God's plan after all.  Interesting.
I agree.  It seemed pretty clear from the final eps last season that God had disappeared from Heaven (on sabbatical, or whatever), and the angels had their own agenda.  Apparently God is back, He's pissed, and He's using Castiel to clean house. Though He's apparently not angry enough to smite the rogue angels out of existence completely, or stop the rise of Lucifer.

Enjoyed the episode overall, especially the self-referential nod from Meg that "the generic demon thing was getting pretty played out." I agree, which is why I keep saying how I miss the original premise of the series. Hopefully we'll get some good stand-alone eps this season between all the mythology mumbo-jumbo.

#10 of 107 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted September 13 2009 - 05:10 AM

Wasn't that the fan girl not Meg who made the comment about being tired of the demon storylines??   I loved how she kept touching Sam.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R View Post

I agree.  It seemed pretty clear from the final eps last season that God had disappeared from Heaven (on sabbatical, or whatever), and the angels had their own agenda.  Apparently God is back, He's pissed, and He's using Castiel to clean house. Though He's apparently not angry enough to smite the rogue angels out of existence completely, or stop the rise of Lucifer.

Enjoyed the episode overall, especially the self-referential nod from Meg that "the generic demon thing was getting pretty played out." I agree, which is why I keep saying how I miss the original premise of the series. Hopefully we'll get some good stand-alone eps this season between all the mythology mumbo-jumbo.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#11 of 107 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 13 2009 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s 

Wasn't that the fan girl not Meg who made the comment about being tired of the demon storylines??   I loved how she kept touching Sam.
You're probably right, I couldn't recall for sure who made the reference.  And the touching was funny, too. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

There was quite a lot of comedy in this ep, considering it dealt with the onset of the apocalypse.

#12 of 107 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,345 posts

Posted September 13 2009 - 02:10 PM

Great start.   The fanfic writer was hilarious and Dean's - 'Angel Condom' was a real coffee spitter!  LOL

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#13 of 107 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,764 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 12:46 AM

Sad to see Sam and Dean parting ways, but they need time apart so Sam can work through his issue.  Look forward to when they finally get back together.

#14 of 107 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 03:03 AM

I have to rewatch an older episode.  But, didn't the mother/daughter hunters die when their bar was destroyed??

#15 of 107 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,764 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s View Post

I have to rewatch an older episode.  But, didn't the mother/daughter hunters die when their bar was destroyed??

Apparently not

#16 of 107 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 18 2009 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s 

It was kind of implied, but the only body of the family actually seen in the rubble was the son/brother.

#17 of 107 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,933 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R View Post

It was kind of implied, but the only body of the family actually seen in the rubble was the son/brother.

Thats what I thought also.  Just was waiting for the "I thought you were dead?" line.

#18 of 107 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts

Posted September 18 2009 - 10:14 AM

It was nice seeing character actor extraordinaire Titus Welliver on Supernatural. That makes two episodes in a row where an actor from last season's Lost finale appeared.

#19 of 107 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 18 2009 - 08:19 PM

The Winchester boys are off to a rousing start, although things are looking a bit bleak to say the least. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif

As much as i'm enjoying this apocalypse stuff i'm actually sort of hoping that we get back to classic Supernatural with them fighting the monster of the week.

Episode 2 was epic! It felt like Dawn of the Dead only with demons instead of zombies lol.

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#20 of 107 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted September 19 2009 - 12:51 AM

The shot of the car on the end of the bridge framed by the twisted railings looked like a scene out of the "Evil Dead" movies.