Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Recommendations

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 BillBR

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hey folks,

Just throwing out a general question...anybody got a recommendation for a good pair of speakers on the cheap side? I'm using a 22'' Samsung HDTV and a PS3 with HDMI connection. The TV speakers are really good for such a unit but a little low on the volume, especially when playing DTS and HD sound on BD's. So I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just something decent that will give me a little fuller sound.

Thanks

"I've been thinking about what we talked about before...it's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving. That's all."
--Edward James Olmos

#2 of 4 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 01:29 PM

what are you pluggin the speakers into?
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 4 BillBR

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 03:53 PM

Uh...I would assume the television. In all honesty I don't know how running HDMI plus speakers works, but I do know the PS3's new software update included an option to output to multiple audio sources...

But if using a set of speakers with an HDMI connection sounds undo-able to you, please let me know :)

"I've been thinking about what we talked about before...it's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving. That's all."
--Edward James Olmos

#4 of 4 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 05:11 PM

Unless you use something like computer speakers which are powered, you can't just connect ordinary speakers to a TV, you need an amplifier to drive them.

How much money do you have to spend on this project?  At the low end you can just get a soundbar type solution like a Sony CT100 (~$300).  Less than that you should hunt around for a used receiver + speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users