3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 BillBR

BillBR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 12:47 PM

Hey folks,

Just throwing out a general question...anybody got a recommendation for a good pair of speakers on the cheap side? I'm using a 22'' Samsung HDTV and a PS3 with HDMI connection. The TV speakers are really good for such a unit but a little low on the volume, especially when playing DTS and HD sound on BD's. So I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just something decent that will give me a little fuller sound.

Thanks

"I've been thinking about what we talked about before...it's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving. That's all."
--Edward James Olmos

#2 of 4 MaxL

MaxL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 01:29 PM

what are you pluggin the speakers into?
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 4 BillBR

BillBR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 03:53 PM

Uh...I would assume the television. In all honesty I don't know how running HDMI plus speakers works, but I do know the PS3's new software update included an option to output to multiple audio sources...

But if using a set of speakers with an HDMI connection sounds undo-able to you, please let me know :)

"I've been thinking about what we talked about before...it's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving. That's all."
--Edward James Olmos

#4 of 4 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 05:11 PM

Unless you use something like computer speakers which are powered, you can't just connect ordinary speakers to a TV, you need an amplifier to drive them.

How much money do you have to spend on this project?  At the low end you can just get a soundbar type solution like a Sony CT100 (~$300).  Less than that you should hunt around for a used receiver + speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users