Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bass problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Patri858

Patri858

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 12:14 PM

I just moved into a new place and have a few questions about my subs. I have two svs pb-10 nsd in a pretty small room. Before I moved I had these co-located which made it easier to get them in phase. They sounded great. Now I have seperated them to make them less visible in the room. I have them on both sides of the couch. I dont know if im doing the calibration right but this is what I did:

1. Used the recievers auto cal. (multi-eq)
2. Then Went back through using the recievers test tones and made sure all the speakers and one subwoofer were playing at 75db. ( I like the bass alittle hot). And I set the crossovers for all speakers to 80hz.
3. Then I disconnected the one sub and connected the other and also calibrated to 75db.
4. Then plugged both in and played the test tone again. If everything is working right I should get a 81db reading.
5. Ifooled around with the phase knob on the back of one sub until I got to this point.

The problem is that during music playback I can not really hear any bass. Then when I slip in a blu ray the bass rumbles the couch( which is what I want). I read that in small rooms their is a lowwer bass gain. Is this what is happening here? Also would a good sub eq work well. I was looking at the as-eq1.

Sanyo PLV-Z60 720P HT projector   Focupix 84" screen
PS3
Denon AVR 1910
SVS STS-01 mains  SVS SCS-01 center  SVS SBS-01 surrounds and back surrounds 2 SVS PB10 NSD's

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,183 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted September 04 2009 - 01:43 PM

If the subs are an equal distance from your seat then both phase controls should be in the same position.

You only get the 6db increase when the subs are co-located.  The extra increase drops the more the subs are apart.  How much?  Check your sub level on your receiver now.  Run the auto calibration with both subs.  It will drop 3 or 4 db.

A Radio Shack SPL meter is much cheaper than a sub EQ.  You can use it and free test tones to plot your sub's in-room response.  Once plotted, then you can determine if you need a sub EQ.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Patri858

Patri858

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 02:06 PM

Alright thats a good thing to know. I have a radio shack meter but I will have to plot the response in my room.

Thanks for the advice
Sanyo PLV-Z60 720P HT projector   Focupix 84" screen
PS3
Denon AVR 1910
SVS STS-01 mains  SVS SCS-01 center  SVS SBS-01 surrounds and back surrounds 2 SVS PB10 NSD's