-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cambridge Newton S200 Rear Channel Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 swantzilla

swantzilla

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 08:16 AM

I came about a pair of Cambridge Newton S200 rear channel speakers. I am currently using a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers for my rears. I was noticing that the speaker response is only to 10K. Do the rear channels need to go higher than that? Would they be good for Dolby Digital 5.1? I am using a Boston VR920 for the center and a pair of Legacy Focus for the front mains. Thank you for reading.

#2 of 7 swantzilla

swantzilla

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 08:16 AM

I came about a pair of Cambridge Newton S200 rear channel speakers. I am currently using a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers for my rears. I was noticing that the speaker response is only to 10K. Do the rear channels need to go higher than that? Would they be good for Dolby Digital 5.1? I am using a Boston VR920 for the center and a pair of Legacy Focus for the front mains. Thank you for reading.

#3 of 7 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 04:33 PM

where'd you come up with that figure?  the 10khz?  if online, can you post a link?
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#4 of 7 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 12:04 AM

Just as a heads-up, if you are interested in those, but haven't bought them yet, I have a pair of S300's that I intend to put up for sale on the forum in the next couple weeks.  PM me if you are interested.

The S200 and S300 are very similar . . . .the 300 adds a monopole mode option in addition to the dipole and bipole options of the S200.  I have really enjoyed my S300's and will be sad to see them go.

#5 of 7 swantzilla

swantzilla

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL ">

where'd you come up with that figure?  the 10khz?  if online, can you post a link?
Detailed Specifications:
/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">
/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">ENCLOSURE TYPE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">CABINET FINISH/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">FREQUENCY RESPONSE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">MIN/MAX POWER/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">SENSITIVITY/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">NOMINAL IMPEDANCE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">MAGNETICALLY SHIELDED/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">TWEETER SIZE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">TWEETER TYPE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">TWEETER FERROFLUID COOLING/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">TWEETER MATERIAL/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">N/A
MID-RANGE SIZE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">MID-RANGE TYPE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">MID-RANGE MATERIAL/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">WOOFER SIZE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">WOOFER TYPE/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">WOOFER MATERIAL/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">N/A
CONNECTORS/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">MOUNTING BRACKETS/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">SPEAKER DIMENSIONS/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">WEIGHT/images/design_elements/spacer.gif">WARRANTY/images/design_elements/spacer.gif"> var pid = parseInt(3492636); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3492636') ) { $('multiq_3492636').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3492636') ) { $('toggle_post_3492636').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3492636] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#6 of 7 swantzilla

swantzilla

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 01:27 AM

What are you replacing them with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethH View Post

Just as a heads-up, if you are interested in those, but haven't bought them yet, I have a pair of S300's that I intend to put up for sale on the forum in the next couple weeks.  PM me if you are interested.

The S200 and S300 are very similar . . . .the 300 adds a monopole mode option in addition to the dipole and bipole options of the S200.  I have really enjoyed my S300's and will be sad to see them go.

#7 of 7 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted September 06 2009 - 01:04 AM

I'd love to tell you that I'm making some huge upgrades, but I'm really having to make some compromises with my system in the next several weeks.  I need to go to some smaller speakers all around, so I will most likely be replacing these with the Mirage Nanosat Prestige setup.