• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 walkthewalk

walkthewalk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 09:28 AM

I need a little help putting together a surround sound setup for my bedroom. I have a Sony STR-DE475 reciever. It puts out 80.0 Watt - 8.0 Ohm on each channel. I already have a powered sub running off the line level subwoofer out. I just need some help picking out the 5 surround speakers. I don't want to spend a whole lot I just need some decent sound. I have been looking on ebay and all I see are speakers that are 3ohms or 6ohms. Would it be okay to use them on my reciever? Like, if the speakers need 60watts - 6ohms is it okay to use them on my reciever? Is there some kind of conversion or am I just going to be better off getting 8ohms speakers? I dont want to run my reciever too hot and mess it up and not get good sound. I cant seem to find a decent set of 8ohms speakers that arent too pricey. Can anyone reccoment me something? I dont need professional stuff just decent level speakers.  

I was looking at this kit but its 6ohms... would this be okay to use on my reciever?

[link deleted by moderator; please read our Rules; no eBay links allowed]

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 10:10 AM

6 ohm is likely fine.  I wouldn't use 3 ohm.

I'd get an Energy Take Classic 5.0 set, ~$200.

#3 of 3 MaxL

MaxL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 04:13 AM

i have one problem with the energy take classic set - they don't get close to 100hz meaning you have a gap between sat and sub or crossover too high.

i like the athena ls50's @$60/pr and lsc50 @$60/ea for 5 speakers for $180 total.

good luck

HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users