What's new

Canon EOS 7D (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It's been widely rumored for some time, but it now looks like the Canon EOS 7D is official:

gizmodo.com/5349829/canon-7d-dslr-first-hands-on-18-megapixels-24fps-full-hd-video-for-1900

18 MP 1.6x crop APS-C sensor, 8FPS,100% viewfinder, improved video capabilities over the 5DmkII and a host of other things. Sounds very interesting to me and it could be a nice complement to the 5DmkII. Lots of video production folk have been working with the 5DmkII for video and it looks like the 7D has made some significant improvements (hope audio handling is one of them) and should be quite popular.

More info:

www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090105canoneos7d.asp

www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the image quality is good, this sounds like quite a crop-sensor body. The feature set is impressive, and addresses some of Canon's shortcomings in comparison to Nikon -- specifically the auto focus system.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DavidJ

Lots of video production folk have been working with the 5DmkII for video and it looks like the 7D has made some significant improvements (hope audio handling is one of them) and should be quite popular.
Since there's no mention of (nor allusion to) improved audio handling at all in the PR, I doubt there's any.

_Man_

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Since there's no mention of (nor allusion to) improved audio handling at all in the PR, I doubt there's any.

_Man_
You may be right, but I don't think it is something that would necessarily make the press release. One can hope and it's not a deal breaker for me. I do know Canon is aware of the complaints about the audio handling on the 5DmkII.

Crosbycott

Auditioning
Real Name
Crosby
Canon EOS 7D is a high-end DSLR camera features an all-new 18.0 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, Canon's X0D series was, for many years, essentially the default choice for keen enthusiasts, professionals and aspiring-professionals.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
The EOS 7D is a very interesting camera body. Anyone in the market for a 50D should seriously consider spending a couple hundred more for the 7D.

The 7D does have a couple of things that should have been incorporated into the EOS 5D Mark II: more auto-focus sensor points and an actual movie record button/switch.

For the time being, the 7D also boasts exclusive 1080p/24 and 1080p/25 frame rate capabilities. The 5D Mark II only shoots HD in 1080p/30, but Canon is currently working on a firmware update to add 1080p/24 and 1080p/25 modes. That firmware update should be available early 2010. Originally Canon wasn't planning on such an update but reconsidered after hearing a lot of complaints from 5D Mark II owners. It's possible they might have become worried they would lose significant 5D Mark II sales to the $1000 less expensive 7D.

I own a 5D Mark II and some L-series glass. The big strength of the 5D Mark II is its big 24mm X 36mm "full frame" sensor. The 21 million pixels on its sensor are significantly larger than the pixels on the 10Mp Digital Rebel XTi (my old and now sold DSLR). They're about 150% larger than the sensor pixels found on the 7D. That makes a difference in image quality, such as improved color and contrast as well as getting more flattering images from your lenses. For example, my old XTi had a tough time getting tack sharp images from my 24-70 f/2.8L zoom lens. This wide angle zoom works far better on my 5D Mark II -and I can see the full wide angle view at 24mm.

The choice between spending $1700 or $2700 on the 7D or 5D Mark II should largely be decided on whether you want to move up to a full frame sensor body or if you need to stay with a APS-C or APS-H "crop body" system. If you have a significant investment in EF-S series lenses then the 7D is the best choice. Those lenses will not work with a full frame body like the 5D Mark II.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Engadget has a good run down on the video capabilities, pros and cons.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/canon-eos-7d-impressions-for-filmmaker-wannabes/#continued

As a "two brand" shooter I am pleased to see Canon improving this stuff with every new release, but I reaallllly hope it kicks Nikon in the ass into getting this stuff right sooner than later. My best glass are Nikkors and I intend to hold off on Full Frame Nikon until it's right. The D4 rumors sound great, and if I have to spend $5k to get it right the first time around I'll do it, but until then I'm happy for Canon to lead the way.
http://nikonrumors.com/2009/11/14/rumor-nikon-d4-in-primary-field-trial.aspx

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Laforet is now on twitter. He just linked this 7d video:
http://j.mp/4HIT8M

http://twitter.com/vincentlaforet

Wired on DSLR video:
http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2009/11/video-dslr

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know why Canon saddled the 7D with a Compact Flash memory card slot instead of a SDHC card slot?

I think I want to upgrade from my XSi, and it's always going to be a toss-up between the 5DMKII or the 7D, though both have a CF card slot, the allure of FF's IQ is almost winning me over after plowing through some 5D photos. The 8fps isn't something I'd lose sleep over since I don't even exploit the slower fps on my XSi, so I'd be okay with the 3.8fps of a 5D. Of course, there is the $1000 different in price between the 2 choices, which pulls me back towards the 7D. Ack!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I suspect some of it's a legacy thing. CF has been used on the Canon DSLRs since the original Digital Rebel, which means longtime users are used to it and have likely amassed a supply of cards over the years. Making the switch would probably irritate them - I know I would be annoyed if I were looking to upgrade and needed to factor in a change in media. Someone can probably speak on the finer points of performance, but it seems too that CF is almost exclusively marketed as a professional media format whereas SD is consumer grade. But of course we all know what such labels can mean, especially when it comes to supposed "contractor grade" tools and materials in hardware stores...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The CF cards will probably take more abuse than the SDHC cards. So, yeah, I'm miffed about having to buy new CF cards when I make to jump to either the 5DMKII or 7D. Someone on Flickr noted that Best Buy doesn't even stock much in terms of CF cards anymore (but I at least have 2 local options for CF cards, and there's always online sources).

Cam, how high of ISO can you shoot before you find that the noise becomes an issue for you?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I shot at 3200 for a concert and was pleasantly surprised and would have no reservations doing it again if needed. I admit I haven't explored any of the de-noising features of Lightroom and just go with the default RAW settings for the camera. For the next concert I will probably give 6400 a try for comparison.

One thing to be aware of is that the 7D appears to need more image sharpening. With the 40D I just went with Lightroom's default 25 setting, but now I go to 50 with the 7D.

Here's a shot from the show that I don't think is affected by other factors like camera shake or focus errors.

I tried 12,800 at one point but I doubt I'll be using that again unless I'm really desperate.

Costco still carries CF, though they can be a little hard to spot amidst all the other types and it doesn't seem like they always have them in stock. But when they have their $8 or $10 off sales, I usually pick one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks