Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Seven: 1952-1954

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 11:38 AM

Posted Image

For Immediate Release

Larry, Moe and Shemp are back again in…

THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION Volume Seven: 1952 - 1954

22 Digitally Remastered Shorts, Arranged Chronologically and Packaged in a Two-Disc DVD Set

Featuring nine shorts in their widescreen DVD debut,

plus Two 3D Shorts with 3D Glasses!

AVAILABLE ON DVD November 10

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (August 31, 2009) – America’s craziest trio of buffoons are back again when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment brings The Three Stooges Collection Volume Seven: 1952-1954 to DVD on November 10.  This collection features 22 digitally remastered shorts that continue the Stooges legacy with the return of the original Stooge, Shemp.  Included in this volume are such classics as the Stooges’ 3D shorts: Spooks and Pardon my Backfire, presented for the first time in both 3D and 2D, as well as Shot in the Frontier, a parody of the classic film High Noon. This compilation also marks the first time many of the shorts will be available in widescreen versions since their original theatrical presentations.  The Three Stooges Collection Volume Seven: 1952-1954 is packaged in a two disc set and includes 3D glasses and will be available for $24.96 SLP.

The Three Stooges, one of the most influential screen comedy teams of the 20th century, inspired generations of comics that succeeded them.  Following their start in vaudeville, the trio began their film career in the early 1930s, reached their slapstick peak at Columbia Pictures (1934-1957) and lasted as a team well into the 1950s.  After their initial retirement, they were rediscovered by an enthusiastic new generation through the medium of television, surpassing their contemporaries in lasting popularity.  Volume Seven continues Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s long-running tribute to the comedic mastery of the Stooges by tracing the evolution and development of their craft in films in progressive order.

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Seven: 1952 – 1954 shorts include:

Disc 1

A Missed Fortune

Listen, Judge

Corny Casanovas

He Cooked His Goose

Gents in a Jam

Three Dark Horses

Cuckoo on a Choo Choo

Up in Daisy’s Penthouse

Booty and The Beast

Loose Loot

Tricky Dicks

Disc 2

Spooks (3D and 2D)

Pardon my Backfire (3D and 2D)

Rip, Sew and Stitch

Bubble Trouble

Goof on the Roof

Income Tax Sappy

Musty Musketeers

Pals and Gals

Knutzy Knights

Shot in the Frontier

Scotched in Scotland

DVD Features Include:

·        Full Screen and Widescreen Presentations

·        Audio: English (Mono)

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Seven: 1952 – 1954 has a run time of approximately 380 minutes and is not rated.  Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

DVD Catalog # 32919

UPC Code: 0-43396-32919-5

Order Date: 10/08/09

SLP: $24.96

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit

• 377 posts
  • LocationStar Lake, NY

Posted August 31 2009 - 11:48 AM

Excellent news. I'm glad the price didn't jump with the inclusion of the 3D glasses.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 12:47 PM

And widescreen too.  I've never seen these shorts in OAR, kudos to Sony!

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 12:52 PM

Way to go Sony.  Thanks.  

The inclusion of the wide-screen versions is great.  The inclusion of the two films in both 2D & 3D is an even more amazing treat.  

There are so many posts complaining about crazy things, that it certainly deserves mentioning then when studios do a great job.  Sony is doing an excellent job with this series.  The packaging, the price, the chronological order & the restoration of the films for the fans is to be commended. 

This set is also interesting because most of these on this collection are rarely, if ever, shown.  In fact, most of these haven't been released before on DVD.  "Three Dark Horses" has and its among their finest.  Great to see it restored.  

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 01:32 PM

Mega kudos to Sony on this!

They just may be "Studio of the Year - 2009" for all the great work they've done this year.  As other studios are pulling back if not outright ending classic releases Sony has truly done some remarkable things this year. 

If Mike S. or any other Sony reps are reading this - thank you!
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Deeb View Post

In fact, most of these haven't been released before on DVD. 
I think most of these have never been on home video at all. Sony continues to kick butt. Awesome.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 11:02 PM

What can I add? Just Amazing. Sony has really impressed me with this entire series... their THREE STOOGES CHRONOLOGICAL COLLECTION SETS just may be the most steadily perfect home video project ever.

What's also great here is that even casual fence sitters who aren't exactly the biggest fans of the Stooges might be inspired to buy this volume (which thus far is my favorite of all seven!). I realize that these sets have sold consistently well anyway, but we are nearing the bottom here with some stock footage in the shorts, and for some casual fans there might not be as much incentive to go further. Well, here it is - the Three Stooges in 3D!

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 01:18 AM

The 3D shorts are a lot of fun. New York's Film Forum (getting a lot of ink from me today) has showed them as part of its 3D programming. 

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,664 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 01:27 AM

The Film Forum has always shown the 3-D shorts in the open matte, 1.37 ratio. We were the first (probably since the original release) to present both shorts in their intended 1.85 AR at the World 3-D Expo in 2006.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Bradskey

Bradskey

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 04:15 AM

Very classy release by Sony, I'm seriously impressed.  The Stooge releases have been really exemplary, I hope they get tons of sales of this one.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 02:10 PM

This series of releases has been incredible, and a dream come true.

However, nothing's perfect, and even these sets could have been improved with extras.  Not only would other Columbia comedy shorts have been interesting (it's not just that Shemp and Joe made other comedy shorts at Columbia, so did the Stooge directors and writers), but there are Stooges extras they could have dug up, such as their 1949 TV pilot or various other television appearances.

But I'm a chronic complainer.  Don't pay any attention to me.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted September 01 2009 - 10:59 PM

Well, it would be a wise idea to have extras on the last set in this collection at least. It might boost those who have second thoughts about purchasing the Joe Besser films and the Shemps which contain so much repetitive stock footage. Not that this includes me, mind you -- I am MOST eager to acquire the Besser movies for the first time on home video!

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 03:20 AM

Wow...3D.  I'm definitely impressed!  That is just fantastic!

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,664 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 04:48 AM

The inclusion of the two shorts in anaglyph 3-D is a nice bonus, but you will only be seeing an approximation of how these films originally looked in theaters. In 1953, both shorts were shown theatrically in Polaroid 3-D, utilizing two interlocked 35mm prints. The glasses were similar to those in use today for Polaroid presentation. The red/blue anaglyph conversions were not created until the late 1960's when Columbia issued versions in 8mm.

While providing some level of depth, anaglyph 3-D is a far cry from what audiences saw on the big screen when these films were new.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 05:00 AM

Eh, I'm ok with no extras. There's nothing (I know of) in existence that would appropriately complement these shorts, either in quality or context. And I have no interest in hearing from so-called historians etc.

What I would love to see instead is a box set of the existing 30s films with Ted Healy. I understand they're owned by various studios and would likely require some sort of collaboration, but it would be a wonderful treat (especially for Curly fans) and a great supplement to these sets.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 09:13 AM

SO.. err.... how many pairs of glasses are gonna come with this? I have a weekly Movie Night and there are FOUR of us. Would the extra glasses I have for the FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3D disc work, or is that a different process?

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 09:19 AM

2 pairs - but they should be the same red & blue
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#18 of 31 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted September 02 2009 - 09:33 AM

How many shorts were in sepia tone? Just Spooks? I hope it is in sepia on the new dvd.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 02 2009 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi View Post

SO.. err.... how many pairs of glasses are gonna come with this? I have a weekly Movie Night and there are FOUR of us. Would the extra glasses I have for the FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3D disc work, or is that a different process?
There are three type of glasses used for the processes being used on DVD 3D films, Magenta-Green (used films such as Journey to the Center Of The Earth, My Bloody Valentine, Coraline), Red-Cyan (Polar Express, Shark Boy and Lava Girl, Shrek 3D) and the original Red-Blue that is being used on Hanna Montana among others.  The Red-Blue and Red-Cyan have been know to be interchangeable without poor results.  The best way is to check the glasses that come with the DVD, and if you want more there are sites on the web that sell the glasses for a nominal cost, or you can check a local comic book store.  That is if you do not already have the pairs needed.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted September 07 2009 - 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt View Post

Eh, I'm ok with no extras. There's nothing (I know of) in existence that would appropriately complement these shorts, either in quality or context. And I have no interest in hearing from so-called historians etc.

What I would love to see instead is a box set of the existing 30s films with Ted Healy. I understand they're owned by various studios and would likely require some sort of collaboration, but it would be a wonderful treat (especially for Curly fans) and a great supplement to these sets.
I would like to see the Healy-era material released as a set -- this would be a good Warner Archive project. Actually, the shorts are well represented on DVD, but they are not all "officially" available:

Nertsery Rhymes (as yet officially unavailable on DVD)
Beer And Pretzels (extra on Flying Down To Rio DVD)
Hello Pop (considered a "lost film")
Plane Nuts (extra on Dancing Lady DVD)
The Big Idea (as yet officially unavailable on DVD)
Roast-Beef & Movies (Curly solo) (extra on Dancing Lady DVD)
Jail Birds Of Paradise (Moe and Curly w/o Larry) (considered a "lost film")
Give A Man A Job (Moe solo, Government short) (as yet officially unavailable on DVD)

Ted Healy era feature films:
Soup To Nuts (Fox film, released on DVD by 20th Century-Fox)
Turn Back The Clock
Meet The Baron (released on DVD by Warner Bros. along with Gold Raiders)
Dancing Lady (released on DVD by Warner Bros.)
Hollywood Party (Laurel & Hardy scenes only on Laurel & Hardy Collection; complete film available as a Region 2 release)
Fugitive Lovers
Myrt And Marge (Universal; as yet unreleased on DVD)

In addition to the Ted Healy era material, Warner Bros. also controls Gold Raiders (which they've already released) and Four For Texas (Rat Pack film in which the Stooges appear). Some years ago, TNT produced a documentary called The Lost Stooges (hosted by Leonard Maltin) which I did used to occasionally see repeated on TCM. As I recall, it included most of the Stooge material from the various shorts and features and an essentially complete Beer And Pretzels. Along with the extant MGM Stooge shorts, this would make a great TCM Archives release.

Great to see the Our Gang collection released through Warner Archive -- but I wonder why they didn't include General Spanky (which is owned by WB) -- that seems like it would have been the most logical place to release it.

Now about the widescreen business -- I can appreciate that the later Stooge shorts would have been made with widescreen in mind -- just look at the opening titles on the later shorts, especially the Joe Besser shorts, and you see the shot composition -- "protected for widescreen" I think is the term. But there's no way around it -- in cropping the shorts for widescreen, they are losing a portion of the frame. I watched some of my old tapes of the later Stooge shorts -- Scheming Schemers is a 1956 remake of the 1949 Vagabond Loafers, using a lot of stock footage from the earlier film. Of course, the minimal new footage was filmed with widescreen in mind, but in some of the old footage, the Stooges are in a basement and in the frame, they have very little head room. Of course, this short hasn't hit DVD yet, so the results remain to be seen, but I don't get why cutting off part of the image area is considered a good thing (there's no "naked John Cleese" with jeans on in these shorts). My DVD player has different zoom settings, etc. -- why can't they just come up with a setting for widescreen which would create optional masking for older films -- or have they done this already? And if they have, then what's with cropping the image?

Sorry for the rant. Keep 'em coming...