Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

This is interesting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 04:40 AM

Just saw this press release.

www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6685873.html

Interesting.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 05:20 AM

It is interesting but i don't see details on the video quality. If it's just SD Divx files then it doesn't relate much to hi-def.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 11:01 AM

Interesting indeed although I would probably still prefer to buy prepackaged, pressed media rather than burn my own unless the price diff is big.  Also, yeah, it's not clear whether they're only talking about SD video -- considering the target pricing range, it sounds like they might only be talking about SD video even though they mentioned burning to BDs.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 09:05 PM

They left out a really important piece of information...

http://www.dailytech...px?newsid=16088

Last paragraph,  only stereo sound.  No way I'm paying even $2 for a modern movie with only stereo sound.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,047 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 10:34 PM

You also have to go through some hoops (enter the Divx registration number on your player- always wondered what that was for) and burn some sort of file that will allow the player to play the movies- and then they'll only be playable on THAT player (sounds like that OTHER thing with the same name that was out briefly!)  Prices are much too high too- I wouldn't pay more than $2 for this, and even then it would have to be something I couldn't find at a store.

I like how the "latest comment" on the site right now is some guy saying "Just rent it for $1 at Redbox and (do that very naughty thing that they don't like us talking about here)".

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc