Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Hindenburg - What a sad, sad, sad transfer! Any chance for a 35th Anniv. 2010

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 zonk

zonk

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 28 2009 - 05:14 PM

I've been watching films from my collection that are from the mid 70's up to 79ish. I'm hoping The Hindenburg gets updated next year with special features because God knows it deserves it, or at least Wise deserves it for what he pulled off in the end of the film.  

#2 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 29 2009 - 01:00 AM

I will vote for re-do on this one also.  It is one missing void in my collection on 70's disaster flicks.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 22 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted August 30 2009 - 05:17 PM

I'd purchase this on Blu-ray. Been a long while since I've seen this. RIP Robert Wise.
Here's hoping if Universal does decide to release a 35th Anniversary, it'll be day/date DVD and Blu-ray.

EDIT: I'm gfonna check online to see if the Laserdisc had any extras which could be ported for a new release.

#4 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 31 2009 - 02:35 AM

Laserdisc only had a trailer.  I still have the disc.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 22 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis 

Laserdisc only had a trailer.  I still have the disc.
How many sides was it? CAV or CLV? $39.99? Letterbox?
Those damn Laserdiscs were huge when I was younger. I never really had any. Just was VHS to DVD to HDDVD to Blu-ray disc. Of course I still buy all of the last three and zero VHS.
If I could afford it, I'd buy one of the absolute best LD players and transfer all those extras which aren't on DVD-HDDVD-Blu as a customised extras disc. Same thing I said/typed for Logan's Run since the upcoming Blu/DVD doesn't have all features from the LD. As such, it'd be a personalised custom 2-Disc set. Nope it wouldn't be bootlegging since LD is dead dead dead. I for one highly support the preservation of LD content which aren't on any of the current 12cm disc formats.
Too bad Beetlejuice, POLTERGEIST and various other releases from WB contain crappy special features. Especially Poltergeist not having the great E! True Hollywood Story. Can't even call Beetlejuice an Anniversary release.

#6 of 22 Steve JD

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 10:04 AM

Yes, what a horrible transfer!  And both edges of the 2.35 frame are missing. Looks more like 2:00 or slightly under. 
The 2.0 surround sound isn't that bad, so imagine in 5.1 lossless...

I would buy this on bluray in a second.

#7 of 22 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve JD 

Yes, what a horrible transfer!  And both edges of the 2.35 frame are missing. Looks more like 2:00 or slightly under. 
The 2.0 surround sound isn't that bad, so imagine in 5.1 lossless...

I would buy this on bluray in a second.
I'd much rather have the original 2.0 audio in lossless compared to a fake 5.1 bump remix. Same goes for JAWS with the dual mono track when it gets released onto Blu in 2010. It's the films 35th Anniversary of course. Only reason why I bought the 30th Anniversary DVD was because of the original mono track and complete Laserdisc extras.
One remix I positively don't like whatsoever is the 5.1 remix with added/changed foley effects on THE TERMINATOR. Give me original theatrical audio mix any day and of course highest bitrate possible.

#8 of 22 zonk

zonk

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 12:10 PM

At IMBd the show an aspect ratio of 2.20, but Amazon has the widescreen 1996 release ratio at 2.35. Does that make any sense?

#9 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 02 2009 - 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R View Post

How many sides was it? CAV or CLV? $39.99? Letterbox?
Those damn Laserdiscs were huge when I was younger. I never really had any. Just was VHS to DVD to HDDVD to Blu-ray disc. Of course I still buy all of the last three and zero VHS.
If I could afford it, I'd buy one of the absolute best LD players and transfer all those extras which aren't on DVD-HDDVD-Blu as a customised extras disc. Same thing I said/typed for Logan's Run since the upcoming Blu/DVD doesn't have all features from the LD. As such, it'd be a personalised custom 2-Disc set. Nope it wouldn't be bootlegging since LD is dead dead dead. I for one highly support the preservation of LD content which aren't on any of the current 12cm disc formats.
Too bad Beetlejuice, POLTERGEIST and various other releases from WB contain crappy special features. Especially Poltergeist not having the great E! True Hollywood Story. Can't even call Beetlejuice an Anniversary release.

It is two discs, three sides in CLV with the trailer included.  It is listed as Stereo Surround, but I swear it is only 2.0.  It is in widescreen but of course non-anamorphic.

I really loved the laser discs at their time, for it was the first time that I could see many films in their correct aspect ratio and not pan-scan for television and VHS.  There was nothing like the whirrrrrr of the disc spinning in the machine as it started and the FOX/CBS letterbox discs had a special logo that was four channel stereo and went all over the room.

Of course that is a time long gone, but my laser player still works and I still have a couple hundred discs that have not made it to DVD yet, such as The Hindenburg, Cold Turkey, Brewster McCloud, Circus World, 55 Days in Peking, The Cobweb, General Spanky, The Human Comedy, Whoopee, Palmy Days, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, Wild Rovers, and Samson & Delilah just to name a few.

#10 of 22 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahollis 

It is two discs, three sides in CLV with the trailer included.  It is listed as Stereo Surround, but I swear it is only 2.0.  It is in widescreen but of course non-anamorphic.

I really loved the laser discs at their time, for it was the first time that I could see many films in their correct aspect ratio and not pan-scan for television and VHS.  There was nothing like the whirrrrrr of the disc spinning in the machine as it started and the FOX/CBS letterbox discs had a special logo that was four channel stereo and went all over the room.

Of course that is a time long gone, but my laser player still works and I still have a couple hundred discs that have not made it to DVD yet, such as The Hindenburg, Cold Turkey, Brewster McCloud, Circus World, 55 Days in Peking, The Cobweb, General Spanky, The Human Comedy, Whoopee, Palmy Days, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, Wild Rovers, and Samson & Delilah just to name a few.
I remember my friends Dad as a kid had a Laserdisc player and that's where I first saw a movie being projected, his Dad had a huge as a kid floor projector in their movie room, in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I think it was Enter the Dragon or a war movie. Of course as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's, LD platters were HUGE. He had quite alot even some Criterion. Was damn fun too. Of course we snuck his Nintendo down to the basement of the movie room so we could hook it up to the floor projector to play games.
Of course I didn't really think to ask what LD player my friends Dad had. It was great looking at those big jackets too.
I'm even considering purchasing a very high quality LD player to preserve alot of content which aren't on any of the current home media disc formats. But I nary have the space nor the budget I want to do so. I can only dream./img/vbsmilies/htf/crazy.gif

#11 of 22 Steve JD

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted September 02 2009 - 11:08 PM

The 2.0 mix on the Hindenburg DVD is not the original either, it is a stereo downmix of the original 6-track mix that was used on 70mm prints.

A 5.1 lossless mix would sound closer to the original than 2.0.

If pre-Dolby magnetic-stereo films such as South Pacific and The Robe were coming out on bluray in 2.0 stereo only, lossless or not, film buffs would be foaming at the mouth...  ( myself included  )

#12 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 03 2009 - 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve JD ">

The 2.0 mix on the Hindenburg DVD is not the original either, it is a stereo downmix of the original 6-track mix that was used on 70mm prints.

A 5.1 lossless mix would sound closer to the original than 2.0.

If pre-Dolby magnetic-stereo films such as South Pacific and The Robe were coming out on bluray in 2.0 stereo only, lossless or not, film buffs would be foaming at the mouth...  ( myself included

#13 of 22 Steve JD

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 01:51 PM

No, there was only one release of Hindenburg on dvd, from Universal about 10 years ago. And a poor release it was...  Robert Wise must have been thoroughly unimpressed!

I never bought the dvd either because I too though the LD looked better. And it had the trailer.

#14 of 22 Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted September 03 2009 - 09:17 PM

For anyone with a multi region player, the UK R2 DVD (from Anchor Bay) of the Hindenburg is a nice 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.

#15 of 22 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 04 2009 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lewis 

For anyone with a multi region player, the UK R2 DVD (from Anchor Bay) of the Hindenburg is a nice 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer.
I own an Oppo. Does it have any other special features along with the anamorphicness? Still in press/print?

#16 of 22 Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 09:03 AM

No special features unfortunately, but it can be picked up quite cheaply at Amazon uk.

#17 of 22 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted September 05 2009 - 03:42 PM

Quote:

No special features unfortunately, but it can be picked up quite cheaply at Amazon uk.
Thanks Simon! I figure I'll order it with a couple UK Blu-ray titles, ones without regional coding onnit.
I've been attempting to hunt down the Sanctuary Special Edition DVD of THE BOUNTY for a few years now. Nobody seems to carry it in stock and it's been drving me nuts not owning it. I'm just considering if the company releases the movie onto Blu-ray with the same disc features I'd buy it but I'm really wanting the DVD release for the booklet.

#18 of 22 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,124 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 08 2009 - 07:46 AM

Quote:

Oh the humanity! I just checked and my Hindenburg's region uno, bought 6 years ago. I might have to buy it again.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#19 of 22 Jerome

Jerome

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 02:29 AM

the french disc released by Universal has a good anamorphic transfer and offer three deleted scenes in 16X9 mode.
It has an english track with removable subtitles;

Screenshots of the deleted scenes here
Posted Image

#20 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,462 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 05 2010 - 10:52 AM

Not sure if this has been posted, but Movies Unlimited and TCM are listing this as a June 1, 2010 release and are taking pre-orders.  This is not in the TCM/Universal Vault Collection, but appears to be a pressed dvd from Universal.  Amazon does not list this yet.  Both Movies Unlimited and TCM list this as widescreen, but O do not know if it is anamorphic or not.

For me this release, came out of nowhere and is pleasant surprise and it is selling for $10.99.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users