Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Optical Out on NetTop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   zahne

zahne

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 28 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hi, first time poster. I just got a JVC RX-DV3 5.1 surround receiver/dvd player. It's my first surround sound set up and I'm knee deep in the process of backing up all my DVDs to hard drive along with my downloaded movies from itunes etc. I want to start moving into a computer based library for all of my audio and video. I was thinking of getting an Acer Revo which conveniently mounts on the back of lcd/led/plasma TVs out of sight. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on the coffee table to control the library. It's an almost perfect set up. The downside, it only has HDMI out on the Acer. The JVC does not accept HDMI. I'd have to use the HDMI straight to the TV and I'll need some audio out to the reciever but the issue is that the only audio out is 2 channel and thus doesn't have any way of delivering 5.1 to the JVC. Is there a way to have an optical out adapter through the USB? My other idea was to get a PS3 because I want to stay in the $300 range and the PS3's just went down to that price. The issue here is that, it doesn't have miro and I can't watch hulu as far as I know. Any suggestions on a computer based library with optical out for not more than $300?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 28 2009 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahne View Post

Hi, first time poster. I just got a JVC RX-DV3 5.1 surround receiver/dvd player. It's my first surround sound set up and I'm knee deep in the process of backing up all my DVDs to hard drive along with my downloaded movies from itunes etc. I want to start moving into a computer based library for all of my audio and video.
Please be aware that, to the extent you are backing up copy-protected DVDs, this discussion violates HTF Rule 5, which provides, in pertinent part:

Quote:

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. . . . We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs) . . . .
The complete text of this and the other HTF Rules can be found at the link in my signature.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   zahne

zahne

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 28 2009 - 04:56 PM

Well, that's a minor detail. Many of them are from iTunes and legitlly acquired sites. That aside, is there a way to output for optical through USB?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,178 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 29 2009 - 11:42 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahne View Post

Well, that's a minor detail. Many of them are from iTunes and legitlly acquired sites. That aside, is there a way to output for optical through USB?