What's new

Oldie of the day (1 Viewer)

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
This thread is for those who like oldies. Hey, we can go back as close as 10 years ago.
Just share the name of the song, the artist, and maybe a link where you can hear some of it. If it brings back a special memory, that would be nice also.

I'll start with one I heard on Scott Shannon's program on the "True Oldies Channel" here in Atlanta. This program may be syndicated, but I can't say for sure. The track is Roy Head's "Treat Her Right". This is early to mid sixties, the style being Ray Charles meets Elvis meets Booker T & The MGs. My father had a 45 of this and played it fairly often. I haven't heard it for at least 30 years. Fun track.

http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Her-Right/dp/B001R8X1VO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1251493423&sr=8-4

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I love oldies. My favorite periods are the 1950s and 1960s.

I heard Come Softly to Me by the Fleetwoods the other day. I've loved the two-part polyphony in that track for years.

I also heard another of my favorites the other day: Silence Is Golden (Tremeloes). I absolutely adore the harmonies in that song.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Love me some oldies as well! This has been at the top of my favs lately:

I saw Peter and Gordon perform live at the Fest for Beatle Fans a couple of years ago. Wonderful to see.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You guys have brought up some awsome tracks from the "good old days"! I've always loved what I consider to be the true oldies (pre Beatles?) but also love the harmonies of the British Invasion as well as those from the late 50's and early 60's, the Drifters, the Platters, the Coasters, etc. I've also been watching the music specials on PBS. All of this was fun music. I hope this thread has some legs.

BTW, some of the early stereo recordings actually sound quite good in ProLogic and Neo:6.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A few years ago, my local oldies channel went from playing mostly '50s and '60s songs to focusing on the '70s. Which is annoying, because there was already an all-'70s channel in town. I like the music, but I liked being able to hear older stuff, too. Well, they added an HD channel that plays their old format. You can hear it by going to kluv.com and going to the HD2 link. It's an automated random playlist, but I enjoy putting it on and leaving it on. And, the radio player that comes up will let you easily find many other oldies channels.

Besides the rock era stuff, I also listen to what is called the "Legends" format. Dean, Bing, Frankie, that kind of stuff. The channel I listen to used to go back to the '30s and sometimes even the '20s, but they have also moved their playlist up recently. They'll still play some of that, but they play a lot of Michael Buble and other contemporary artists doing the old style, and they have also added a bunch of adult contemporary from the '80s to the '90s like Celine Dion and Whintey. That, I'm not so thrilled with.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Great thread, and some great picks, guys!

It's funny - back when I was a teenager in the early 70s really getting into music, the term "oldies" was used to describe the kind of music from the 50s & early 60s we heard on the American Graffiti soundtrack. It's amazing that more than 3 decades later the term has stuck to the same period, even though the music of my teens is now twice as "oldier" than the "oldies" were back then, if that makes any sense. At any rate, I consider oldies as definitely rock/r&b, from the mid-50s ("Rock Around The Clock" could be called the original oldie) up until the advent of the Beatles, although there's some fudge room there on both ends. I would not argue against the 2 great British Invasion tracks posted here being called oldies. The early Beatles albums fit - but I don't think "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver" do. In short, to me the term describes music that invokes a sense of joy & innocence without being treacly - a kind of feeling that I think was largely lost in popular music after the turmoil of the mid-to-late 60s.

Well, enough pontificating, here's my nomination for Oldie of the Day:

IMO one of the most evocative tunes ever recorded.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That Santo and Johnny tune is one of the best.

Here is my choice for a crazy-sweet oldie: We Belong Together - Robert & Johnny

I first became aware of this tune as the song playing on the jukebox in the bar when Griffin Dunne escapes into after being chased by Catharine O'Hara in "After Hours". Strangely haunting...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"The early Beatles albums fit - but I don't think "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver" do."

CraigS,

I agree with this, and have written about similar lines of demarcation over the years. I think that their Please Please Me album (a.k.a. The Early Beatles in the USA, with a few track changes here and there depending on release), as well as maybe one or two others, fit nicely as far as similarity of style is concerned. It may be that precursors to the Mersey Beat, as well as the Motown sound, early R&B, and skiffle elements that are present to some extent in the music from slightly earlier times are also readily apparent in selected tracks from the music included on the very earliest -- and I include the Yellow Matter Custard collection among these -- albums of the Fab Four.

I can't hear your pick without thinking of the film, La Bamba. (That's a good thing. :) )

BTW, I neglected to add this the other day:

Come Softly To Me (The Fleetwoods)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Nice one Keith! So, are we limited to just one per day? I am compelled to post Denise, Denise by Randy and The Rainbows anyway...I want to live inside one of those movies, which if the comments are correct are scenes from "Gidget" and "Where The Boys Are"...hanging with the hip cats and kittens would be totally boss....

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Denise, Denise. Another great old song. And that clip makes me wish I still had my old '63 Mercury Meteor S-33. This one wasn't mine (which was light blue metalic) but it's close.

olla86

Auditioning
Real Name
olla
I like oldies greatly! Thanks a lot about memories! unbelievable photo and video!

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
How about Since I Fell For You by Lenny Welch gives me goose bumps every time I hear it, great song.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Another favorite of mine -- probably my favorite tune ever by the Belmonts (Where or When). I've posted two gorgeous versions. The first two are a capella. Note the apparent key change in the last version, which sounds a half-step lower:

1a)

1b)

2)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Here's a classic from the great Gene Pitney, who maintained a successful performing career until the day he died. Love the "whistle break" in this one:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks