Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Playing "Arkham Asylum"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Christopher_S

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 11:52 PM

I'm really enjoying "Arkham Asylum" so far.  I've played a few hours into the story, and tried one of the challenge maps last night.  I didn't expect to be into the extra maps much, but actually they play sort of like an old-school arcade game - short, sweet, just aim for the high score and go to town - and I got a lot better at keeping my combo chain going after playing that mode.

My friends and I are going to talk through this game book-club style on our podcast for the next three weeks or so, just detailing our experiences through each part of the story (like 1UPFM used to do with older games before they went belly-up), so if you're playing through and want to post some of your thoughts in this thread, I'll include them in our discussion.  If you just want to listen, we're here.

[T]he founders of the Super 8 motel chain must surely have been ignorant of the meaning of suppurate. -- David Foster Wallace

Yapping - teamubermensch.podbean.com/

PS3 - CDStucky360 - Chopper Newt 

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 03:15 PM

I'm currently at CEDIA 2009 so I'm suffering Batman:Arkham Asylum severe withdrawal symptoms right now.  I am thoroughly enjoying this latest comic-based title on so many levels that it's ridiculous.  Great story, excellent game play, nice graphics, lots of back story items for fans of Batman and newbies alike, great commentary and asides, Riddler challenges that add an extra dimension to the game and so much more.  A few months ago I thought that Wolverine was the best comic book/movie based game yet (most others miss the mark big time).  However, as good as that title was, there's a new king of the video game comic book/movie based hill! 

I highly recommend at least downloading the demo to check it out.  I predict most people will buy the game after that point.

As an old dude with no-longer great reflexes I opted to play it in EASY mode and completed the main story line having more fun than in a long time.  I'll probably tackle it again later in Normal and then Hard difficulty - it's that good!  Now I'm looking for all the residual Ridllers' challenges and have found over 85% of them.  The challenge rounds and medals await me as I close in on 600 achievement points of the 1000 out there.

To me this is definitely worthy of 10 out of 10.  If this isn't a serious candidate for Game of the Year then something's definitely wrong!

RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 02:46 PM

There are 2 free DLC packs coming next week.  FYI

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley 

There are 2 free DLC packs coming next week.  FYI

Outstanding!  Just in time for my return from CEDIA 2009.  Any idea about what's in the DLC?  Thanks Morgan!
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,190 posts

Posted September 12 2009 - 04:44 AM

They announced the names of them but not the content.  It kinda sounded like a series of challenge rooms or something.  Probably nothing ultra substantial but it's free.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   LynxFX

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted September 14 2009 - 10:09 AM

Excellent game, but so short and easy, even on hard. I got the game Friday night, finished Saturday night with a 73% complete on the first play through. Took another 2 hours to find all the items I missed. Another couple to complete all the predator challenge modes. So in one weekend got it to a 93% complete and 80% of the trophies.

Playing as the joker is fun for variety, but not nearly as much fun as the Dark Knight.

It is cool that they are providing more DLC but I just borrowed the game so won't get to play that. I'm fully up for a sequel.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted September 21 2009 - 08:31 AM

Really enjoyed this game too, even though I'm not particularly a Batman fan. I do wish it had been a couple of hours longer, but it's still well worth the investment, and the Riddler Challenges are a really interesting spin on the standard collectible hunts that most games have nowadays. I may actually go back and find them all, which I never do in other games.

Here's hoping the same devs do a sequel, set in Gotham. The city looked rather tantalizing across the water, and I found myself wishing I could go there and explore.

--Jefferson Morris

"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 24 2009 - 06:28 AM

I liked it too, but I had a hiccup and lost my saved game!  I'm busying myself with INFAMOUS instead, which I prefer.

As good as Arkham is, it still has it's annoying bits.  With all the gadgets and strength Batman has, he can't reach up and climb over a couple spikes so I can sneak behind a sniper?  I know they want to make the game challenging, but they always seem to do so at the expense of it making sense, especially compared to earlier levels.  Seems like every game of this type does this.