What's new

What are your 3 favorite Spielberg films? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Mine are:

3. Jurassic Park-I still get chills remembering what a fantastic movie going experience I had watching this one in the summer of 93'.

2. JAWS-Amazing.

1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind-In my opinion a true masterpiece. I wish Spielberg would write, and direct another film as powerful, and meaningful as this some day.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I always thought that "what Spielberg movies you didn't like?" would be a better question! :D Someone should start a thread about it.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Wow, only 3?

In no particular order...

Munich
Saving Private Ryan
War of the Worlds (I may be the only person who likes this movie from what I've read)

Remember these are my 3 favorites, not necessarily the 3 best.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
1. Jurassic Park Just a fun, exhilarating movie. It has exciting action scenes and some great moments of humor. The special effect were revolutionary, and while they were certainly considered a highlight of the film, they never overshadowed the characters or story. Jurassic Park is one of those movies that everyone in my family loves, we can get together to watch it again and again, and enjoy it every time.

2. War of the Worlds This one has some flaws, I admit, but holy crap is it intense. I love suspenseful movies and this one has several of the most suspenseful scenes ever committed to film, as far as I'm concerned. Interestingly, the scene I find most exciting doesn't even involve the aliens--the one that begins with Tom Cruise and his children driving their car through a crowd of people. Even having seen the movie several times before, I become literally exhausted after that scene. Powerful, terrifying stuff.

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade I agree with everyone else that Raiders was great, but I like the third one just a bit more, chiefly because of Sean Connery's performance and his interplay with Harrison Ford. A nice, rousing adventure, this is another one I could just watch over and over.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Steve Christou

Jaws

Close Encounters

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Those would be my choices as well, although with so many great films to choose from, it's hard not to want to add 10 more.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoy Band of Brothers also, I know he didn't direct it, but he was involved.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
First off, his best is Shindler's List. But to me, it's not a film, it's a statement on the world. It's not right to put it on a list of "favorites", it should stand alone.

For the rest:
1) Jaws - If only for the USS Indianapolis scene. And thank god Bruce malfunctioned as much as he did, because NOT seeing the shark is the best part of the movie.

2) Raiders of the Lost Ark - Sheer genius to take action shorts from the 30's and make a movie out of them.

3) Saving Private Ryan - Yeah the bookends are typical, the heroics are typical, but a lot of Spielberg is typical. I won't get into the American centric viewpoint, cookie cutter Nazis, blah, blah, blah bullshit, because it doesn't matter. It's a great movie, one that I didn't like at the theater, but have grown to love over the years.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
It's tough to choose just three but right now these are my favorite three:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - one of the first action movies I can remember going to see at the theater. I'll never forget the first time seeing the melting Nazi faces. It was a great movie then, and a great movie now. I can watch this over and over and not get tired of it.

2. ET - I saw this 6 times at the theater as a kid.

3. Sorry, Jeff, I have to put this on my list - Schindler's List - This is the first movie that woke me up to actually appreciating more than pure action and "turn your brain off at the door"-type of films. Here I was, going to see a three hour, BLACK AND WHITE movie just to please the girlfriend even though I had never heard of it. I was planning on being bored to death. Wow, what a great movie, from the story itself, to the great soundtrack, everything about this movie was fantastic. This was my first introduction to both Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes too. Great film and I wish it were available on blu-ray already.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
This is a difficult choice except for #1.

1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - my favourite movie of all time since I first saw it back in the 70's. As Bryan said, very powerful stuff.

2. Jaws - the next two were harder choices since I've enjoyed most of Spielberg's movies. We couldn't get in to see Jaws oh so many years ago and had to settle for another movie. I think it was a crime caper but obviously unmemorable. You could hear the squeals and reaction of the crowd through the wall from the other theatre. Luckily we got in the next night and Wow it sure lived up to my expectations. Da-dum. Da-dum. That gets me everytime.

3. Jurassic Park - I was torn between this one and Raiders. Raiders was so entertaining to watch, but the appearance of those dinosaurs was just so .......I can't find words. But I concur with a fellow movie goer who was seated in from of me as the credits were rolling at the end....Spielberg is a genius. Amen to that.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
1. Schindler's List.
A three hour long black and white movie might be a hard buy for a ten year old (first time I watched it) but it was a great and important film then and it's an even greater film now. People who complain about the use of sentimentality should try to find out more about Spielberg as a filmmaker.

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Ironically, I didn't like it when I first watched it. A local station had a classic movie week with this movie, A Clockwork Orange (also a movie I didn't like the first time I saw it) and some others. But it came on tv again later and I had to see it again, and again. And now I've bought the movie for the third time, on Blu-ray. It was the Special Edition I saw first, but now I can only watch the Director's Cut.

3. Jurassic Park
A movie I grew up with. The kitchen scene with the raptors terrified me as a six year old boy (surprisingly the first T-Rex scene didn't) but I kept watching it. And despite its flaws it has held up pretty well for me. The best things are of course the dinosaurs (CG and animatronics together) and John Williams' great score. Of course the last is an important part of every Spielberg movie, but it really is great here.

I also have to say I think it's sad that he's getting overrated, according to some people. While his recent output may not have the same magic touch as his earlier work, they're not bad at all. Truly a great filmmaker.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - This film meant, and still means, so much to me that it has become a part of the very fiber of who I am as a person. It's power still resonates with me even when i'm merely thinking about it and seeing it in the theater with my father as a child is something I will remember vividly even if I live to be 100. I find it difficult to watch or read about the creation of E.T. himself because to me he was, and is, alive.

Jurassic Park - I will never forget the moment that first Brachiosaur appeared, I wasn't prepared to see what appeared to be a magnificent, living, breathing dinosaur magestically lumbering up that hill after Grant spots it, I just melted in my seat. In turn, I will never forget the sheer seat-gripping terror of that first T-Rex attack on the road! When it went after Malcolm and continued to go after him after he threw the flair I was almost petrified! It's funny but the CGI in this film actually looks more realistic than most newer films made now, I think it's because this was the first foray into such a breakthrough that they REALLY took their time with it.

Duel - This is where the man got his start and even now you can watch the film and see a budding genius in the making. The film is so simple yet it's executed in a way that leaves you wrung-out! It did for large oily trucks what Psycho did for showers lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks