What's new

Sony launches Columbia-Classics website (1 Viewer)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
A couple weeks ago, Sony launched a new site, Columbia-Classics. Not much to it yet, but with its blog page, it appears designed to promote the studio's Fuller, Hayworth, noir, etc., classic catalog home video releases.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I like the Women of Noir set they are bringing out in 2010. Pretty cool.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
At first I thought it would be their version of the Archive, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It sounds like a more interactive effort designed to facilitate communication about what and, importantly, how film fans would like to see classics delivered. I like that they say "restoration" and "DVD" here. From what I can tell, A+ concept.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am thrilled that Sony has enough faith in the classics to put together a web site such as this. It looks as if it will not only be to push the films, but informative as well. I am already a fan of the blog and look forward to more bits of Columbia history.

This is a welcomed addition in these days.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
More noir! Jippieh! Thanks for the link. Added a new bookmark. Thanks Sony.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
It is cool to have the site... I have to say I have passed on all the titles they have listed such as the Jack Lemmon set the Michael Powell set, Husbands, Last Picture Show, Strange One etc all because of Blu-Ray... I hope they start releasing more classics on BD. I did pass on their double feture release of IN COLD BLOOD / Capote on BD because they paired the films together with bad cover art. I would rather buy them both as sep releases in their own respective cases and cover art. Esp since the price of them is the same as buying two BDs.

Crossing fingers for more BD releases.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh thanks for letting me know about the website; I especially like the style with which the blog is written. And most importantly their upcoming slate of films sounds very promising!

I hope they release the 12 B movie musicals Ann Miller made at the studio before she left for MGM. They may not be as spectacular as her MGM films, but they were fun.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard M S

Oh thanks for letting me know about the website; I especially like the style with which the blog is written. And most importantly their upcoming slate of films sounds very promising!

I hope they release the 12 B movie musicals Ann Miller made at the studio before she left for MGM. They may not be as spectacular as her MGM films, but they were fun.
Another vote on the Ann Miller musicals.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Great news!
I'll buy the Sam Fuller collections as well as the Rita Hayworth and Stanwyck/Capra ones. Not to mention the Film Noir Vols. 1 and 2!
This this Girl of noir collection just made my day! Can't wait for that.

Hopefully Sony will release more volumes for the Screwball comedies collection, since there are tons of undiscovered treasures in its vaults starring the likes of Joan Crawford, Loretta Young, Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Ginger Rogers, Mae West, Marlene Dietrich, Jean Arthur, Rosalind Russell, Lucille Ball, Melvyn Douglas...so many films I want to see.

Also, what about a double feature including Craig's Wife (Rosalind Russell) and Harriet Craig (Joan Crawford)?

And another vote here for the Ann Miller B musicals here!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Columbia has its fair share unheralded precodes that might not sell individually, but boxed together with a precode theme could be pretty nifty -- things like "Child of Manhattan" and "The Guilty Generation."

And here's another vote for Ann Miller -- especially "Reveille with Beverly"!

Jay*W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by RafaelPires

Great news!
I'll buy the Sam Fuller collections as well as the Rita Hayworth and Stanwyck/Capra ones. [SNIP]
Rafael,

Has Capra/Stanwyck box been announced? I didn't see it on the website, but I would be thrilled to get that one!

Jay

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Great site. Thank you for the heads up. I have bookmarked it. Sorry to hear Rita Hayworth set is not coming until next year as I thought it was to be released this fall. Anyway at least it is coming.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

It is cool to have the site... I have to say I have passed on all the titles they have listed such as the Jack Lemmon set the Michael Powell set, Husbands, Last Picture Show, Strange One etc all because of Blu-Ray... I hope they start releasing more classics on BD. I did pass on their double feture release of IN COLD BLOOD / Capote on BD because they paired the films together with bad cover art. I would rather buy them both as sep releases in their own respective cases and cover art. Esp since the price of them is the same as buying two BDs.

Crossing fingers for more BD releases.
It's really none of my business, but if you're limiting yourself to only blu then there is a very real possibility that you will never see most of these titles. I'm not trying to start some sort of SD vs Blu thing here, I'm just suggesting that your approach is severely confining, particularly with regards to catalog titles.

As to the topic at hand, kudos to Sony...I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm saying that. They're really picking up this ball and running with it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news. Glad to see one studio still believes in the classics. My DVD purchasing dollars will be heading Sony's way as a result.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Jay, the set was not announced, but Mr. Schlesinger from Sony said it is indeed coming in early 2010. So, it is one of the most antecipated sets in my list.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Thanks for the information, Rafael! It shoots immediately to the top of my must-have list. I have been revisiting the Capra box set this week and pining for the Stanwyck titles after viewing the American Dream documentary again.

And, oh how I wish we could get Criterion or some other reputable company to put out a quality DVD release of Meet John Doe using the great print that features so prominently in the documentary. It looks so nice, and I cannot bring myself to buy any of the crummy public domain releases.

Jay

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Incredible! Thanks to Sony for proving that DVDs of classic films are still marketable. My money which use to flow directly in to WB's coffers will now be diverted in to Sony's.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK... FINALLY!!!

I can't believe it's finally getting a release as I've been requesting it on these forums for years! This calls for a dancing banana smiley!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again, Sony!!!!

I absolutely cannot wait for the upcoming noir collections and this "Bad Girls of Noir" set is a must have too!

I'm only spending my earnings on one studio this year and it's Sony all the way!!!

woohooo!!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Btw, do we have cover art yet for the upcoming Fuller set or the "New Hollywood" box set?? What about the Hayworth and noir collections??

I have to say that if there's any constructive critisicm that I can offer here, it's that the studio really needs somebody new in their art dept. If they could throw out some original poster art and a couple of Columbia Pictures cartoon shorts as extra with each of these wonderful announcements... there'd be no stopping them!!!

(But seriously - the Powell, Boetticher and Icons of Screwball sets were truly hideous in this regard; especially the latter!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks