What's new

Time for an official Snow Leopard thread (1 Viewer)

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I ordered my regular copy this morning for my laptop. But when I tried to order my up to date copy for my Mac Pro it said it couldn't verify my S/N. I called Apple and while they could find my S/N, they couldn't get the website to take it. I ended up having to fill out the form and fax it in. Hey, for $9.95 I'm not complaining. This weekend should be a lot of fun!!!!

Don

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Gonna play this one conservatively. I'll upgrade one of my machines, but there are a few apps I need that haven't been ported over to Universal binaries (hello Intuit) yet. Since I don't want to install the Rosetta architecture with Snow Leopard, I'll have to hold off on upgrading that machine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ordered single user for my MBP. Asked my wife to place up-to-date order for her iMac. Hope it arrives before my vacation.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I am going to hold off a bit myself. I want to hear how the $29 upgrade disc is going to work.

The last upgrade disc I got from Apple was a 10.3 upgrade for 10.2. It required that 10.2 be installed on the target system. A disc check wasn't an option. If the 10.6 upgrade is the same way (requiring 10.5 to be installed), I will probably try and sell my 10.5 Mac Pack and purchase a 10.6 Mac Pack to get a non-upgrade install.

I mess around with my system enough that I don't want to have to install 10.5 first, then 10.6 every time the OS needs to be reinstalled.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wife's Up to Date is ordered. We had problems because we forgot that we bought it under my AppleID, but we trying to buy SL with my wife's ID. Apple's website doesn't explain if the AppleID is wrong so we took a while to figure it out.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I went ahead and ordered for it to be here on Friday. Don't know if I really need it but for $29, I'll take my chances....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any word on compatibility problems? I don't want to install 10.6 if it's going to break important things, like Parallels or my Logitech mouse drivers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also ordered for Friday, but Keith brings up something I didn't think of. Does anyone know if this disc allows a clean install in the future? It would really annoy me if I had to install 10.5 first if I just wanted to start from scratch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wondering the same thing; but it seems not. This is specifically an upgrade from 10.5. If you're still on 10.4 or earlier, you have to buy 10.5 in addition to 10.6

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For upgraders tho, Amazon has it $5 off, free ship if you spend a penny more:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMHWP8/ref=ox_ya_os_product?tag=slickdeals#productPromotions

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You said you'd have to buy 10.5

In that case you probably don't have the latest ilife or iwork either.

Tho I'd personally wait to see if a new box set materializes in early september...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I misunderstood. I thought you had 10.5 already and were buying the full set to simplify a later reinstall.

If you don't have 10.5, the box set is a good deal. I upgraded to iLife & iWork 09 last month, but now I wish I'd waited. However, there was indications there wouldn't be a SL box set. Oh well, not a big financial setback :)

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

You said you'd have to buy 10.5

In that case you probably don't have the latest ilife or iwork either.

Tho I'd personally wait to see if a new box set materializes in early september...

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
An upgrade disc probably still has the option to do an erase and install. The 10.3 upgrade disc that I mentioned had this option. Once it saw 10.2 was installed, you could select an option erase the HD and install 10.3.

So hopefully, a clean install with still be an option with the 10.6 disc. The $64,000 question is will 10.5 have to be physically installed on the machine first or will having 10.5 install DVD be enough.

-Keith

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, you misunderstood me. I was wondering about being able to just plain reinstall 10.6 from scratch with the upgrade discs. With what you are saying, I would first have to install 10.5 from regular install discs (which I have) then upgrade it to 10.6, which is a huge and pointless hassle. If Keith is correct and I am reading properly, I could take a machine that already has 10.6 (or 10.5 I suppose), erase the HD and start a new install of 10.6 from scratch. Funny I was completely unaware of the "Upgrade" discs vs a full new install package. I guess that is why it was only $29.

Users who are viewing this thread