What's new

How to use the control knobs in the back of a Paradigm PDR-10 sub woofer? (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I have a Paradigm PDR-10 (about 9 years old)-with matching Paradigm speakers (all speakers set to Small via Avia)l and a Yamaha RXV-800 (user manual: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/RX-V800kai.pdf) ,Avia calibrator, and a RS sound meter. I think I have calibrated my speakers fairly (I don't need perfection) well in that they all seem in phase and at the same level. However, when monkeying around with the sub, I'm not so sure that I really knew what I was doing. I'm specifically questioning my use of the the two control knobs in the back.

I believe that the top one is for output volume and the lower one is for cut off/switchover (?). It is the control and working of the lower knob that I need explained to me. How do I know when I am at a certain Hz cut off point? What is a good, general cut-off to use? Thanks.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the top would be the gain and the bottom should be the crossover. If you are using your sub output from your receiver, then you don't need the crossover. The specs on that sub say there is a bypass option, you should just bypass the crossover, your receiver will handle that. As far as gain/volume, you should adjust it so that you don't have a very large adjustment to the speaker level on the trim adjustment to match your other speakers. Usually within +/- 5 is a good rule of thumb, but if you're real picky, then you would adjust it so that you have 0 adjustment on the receiver to match the other speakers. Another words, if you have to set the sub to +10 on your receiver to match it to the other speakers, then you would want to turn the gain/volume up on the sub and re-adjust the level in the receiver, or vice-versa. Hope that helps.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Thanks, but let's continue on to clarify some things for me. First let me add another spec that migh help our discussion:On page 6 of the manual, "1D LFE/Bass Out"-See note at bottom: As all speakers were set to Small, "...low frequency signals (90Hz and below) from all main, center and rear speakers are directed to the LFE channel." I'm not sure what you mean by "if you have to set the sub to +10 on your receiver to match it to the other speakers, then you would want to turn the gain/volume up on the sub and re-adjust the level in the receiver, or vice-versa." First, I believe that the output on all speakers and the sub are at the same level (or close enough) when measured by a sound meter. I didn't set the sub at +10 when calibrating, but set it to Normal-See page 39-40, Low Frequency Test-all of which I find confusing. So, should I leave well enough alone, or is there more to do with this aspect of the sub's calibration?

As for the crossover, are you telling me that I should turn the sub's crossover all the way down and my receiver will do the crossover? If I recall correctly, when calibrating the sub to match the other speakers, I did get a screen from my Yamaha's Setup for the sub that said the the frequency was 88Hz. Does this mean that this is when the crossover (controlled by the AVR) will occur?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Adam, since you Yamaha doesn't seem to have a volume adjustment for the sub woofer as it does for the other 5 speakers you would use the volume (or Gain) control on the back of the sub woofer to calibrate it.

As for the crossover knob, or cut-off/switchover as you refered to it, if your sub does have a by-pass switch then then use it to completely by-pass the crossover function in the sub woofer and use the receivers crossover setting which is apparently fixed @ 90 hz (it's an older receiver). If it doesn't have a by-pass switch then set the sub woofers crossover to it's highest setting.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Yeah, it looks as though I'll be using the sub's volume control when playing blurays. A real PITA as I will have to move the sub out of its self in order to get to the control's in its back.

Setting the sub's cross-over to its highest level sounds somewhat counter-intuitive to me. But I'll do it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Setting the sub's cross-over to its highest level sounds somewhat counter-intuitive to me. But I'll do it."

The reason for setting it to it's highest level is a crossover isn't really a point but a slope. More like a hill than a mountain. If your receivers crossover is set to say 80, then it doesn't prevent everything ove 80 from reaching the sub woofer. There will be some higher frequencies that will pass through the crossover.

Also, setting the subs crossover to around 80 means both the receiver and the sub will be filtering the frequency response at the same time. Better to just let one of them do it and the receiver is the better of the two. Setting the subs crossover to it's highest setting assures that everything the receiver sends it will be reproduced.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by flycaster

Yeah, it looks as though I'll be using the sub's volume control when playing blurays. A real PITA as I will have to move the sub out of its self in order to get to the control's in its back.

But you only have to do it once. Calibrate and you're set for everything.

BTW - Putting your sub in a shelf is generally a bad idea. You're adding an another cabinet to the existing cabinet. The sub was designed with only the original cabinet in mind. It also limits your placement options. Getting great bass is mostly about placement in the room.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Unfortunately, I am limilted to the sub's physical placement. Best I can do is open the cabinet door to best optimize the listening situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks