Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Component Output to a non-HDCP display

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Mightymilk

Mightymilk

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 19 2009 - 04:00 AM

my computer has an nVidia 9800GT graphics card (HDCP compliant) that i run to a 24" samsung computer monitor (HDCP compliant).  the graphics card has dual DVI outputs, with a converter accessory that can convert one of the outputs from DVI to Component.  i just bought a Blu-ray drive for my computer that i've been using to watch movies.  i wanted to run the second DVI out to my TV (non-HDCP) via the DVI -> Component converter cable.  now i know HDCP only works through a digital connection, and since Component is analog... i was hoping i could watch my Blu-ray movies on my TV without having to worry about HDCP issues.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Mightymilk

Mightymilk

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 27 2009 - 12:56 PM

no one able to help me on this one?

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 27 2009 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymilk View Post

no one able to help me on this one?

Putting this in Basics probably wasn't the best bet for attracting attention from people with the right kind of expertise. I'll move it to Computers and HTPC.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Mightymilk

Mightymilk

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 08:21 AM

thanks i thought my question seemed more relivant to the beginner section, but i'll be honest i didn't really read any of the topics to get a feeler.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 31 2009 - 08:25 AM

Please check your private messages.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Mightymilk

Mightymilk

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 08:09 AM

no one knows the answer to this one?  at all?

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   dguard

dguard

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted October 07 2009 - 10:26 AM

First a couple bits of background information that may be useful.  Most versions of DVI contain both digital and analog signals.  HDMI contains only digital signals.  HDCP is a digital copy protection scheme, not analog.  I'm guessing your converter is not actually converting the digital signals to analog (because such a device costs hundred of dollars), instead it is just lifting the analog signals from the DVI connector and outputting the signal to RCA type connectors.  To be compliant with copyright law, the manufacturer of a device is not permitted to circumvent copy protection.  Allowing the analog portion of a DVI connection to receive the signals of an HDCP encoded source would be allowing circumvention of the copy protection. My guess is your video card turns the analog off when HDCP content is played.