Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: William Castle Film Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,366 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 07:03 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 07:17 AM

SWEEEET!  I've never seen any of these, but they all sound like a fun time.

Thanks to Sony for picking up the ball that Warner Brothers fumbled for a loss.

#3 of 52 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,047 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 18 2009 - 07:22 AM

Will 13 Ghosts include the glasses?  It would also be great if they included the Punishment Poll cards also.  But this is still a buy for me. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 10:58 AM

Will be buying this set too but not in October. Already too many DVDs preordered.

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   KELLYBOY

KELLYBOY

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 12:06 PM

This carries set a hefty price tag and there are so many titles coming out in the fall that I want, e.g. CLAUDETTE COLBERT COLLECTION, RITA HAYWORTH COLLECTION, ESTHER WILLIAMS COLLECTION, 2 Film Noir sets from Sony, NORTH BY NORTHWEST - BR & SNOW WHITE BR, that I may pass on this set unless I can get it for a very low price.  I already own STRAIT JACKET & HOMICIDAL.  

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted August 21 2009 - 06:37 AM

Hard to justify when I already own half of these movies....couldn't they have done two boxes, one with the previously-released material and another of the not-previously-released movies?  These aren't good enough to spend $20 per movie MSRP on.

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted August 23 2009 - 10:44 AM

Mike S. at Sony says all will be the gimmick versions, so I'm sure that will include 13 GHOSTS (which will no doubt have the viewers).

-J. Theakston

#8 of 52 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,047 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 23 2009 - 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Theakston 

Mike S. at Sony says all will be the gimmick versions, so I'm sure that will include 13 GHOSTS (which will no doubt have the viewers).

Great news.  What was an I want, is now a I have to have.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted August 24 2009 - 11:43 AM

This is really tempting.  I'm going so broke with Blu ray buying, but this may be fun to have in my collection.  Excellent Halloween viewing.

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 09:59 AM

Can anyone tell me if "The Old Dark House" is the same 'chapter film' involving a disturbing sequence with a cracked ventriloquist and his peculiar wooden dummy in an insane asylum with some genuinely delirious voice dubbing effects and briliant film editing?

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 973 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 10:07 AM

It's the OLD DARK HOUSE that Castle directed, Hammer produced and Tom Poston starred in.

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks!

Looking forward to this collection too!!

#13 of 52 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,047 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 26 2009 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti 

Can anyone tell me if "The Old Dark House" is the same 'chapter film' involving a disturbing sequence with a cracked ventriloquist and his peculiar wooden dummy in an insane asylum with some genuinely delirious voice dubbing effects and brilliant film editing?

I think the film you are thinking of is DEAD OF NIGHT.  The 1945 film is an acclaimed British anthology about a group of visitors to a remote country manor relating their nightmares to one another. An antique mirror reflects an ancient crime, a Christmas party is visited by a ghost, and a ventriloquist's dummy begins taking on a life of its own.  It is a real creepy film.

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 10:53 AM

Yes, that's the one!

My mistake... it aired on TCM earlier this summer.

#15 of 52 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,047 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 26 2009 - 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti 

Yes, that's the one!

My mistake... it aired on TCM earlier this summer.

It is out on DVD, region 1 I believe

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted August 26 2009 - 03:36 PM

The region 1 disc of the 1945 version of DEAD OF NIGHT (which was paired with QUEEN OF SPADES) has been OOP for quite some time now.
Originally Posted by ahollis 

#17 of 52 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,047 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 27 2009 - 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc 

The region 1 disc of the 1945 version of DEAD OF NIGHT (which was paired with QUEEN OF SPADES) has been OOP for quite some time now.

You are correct.  I was lucky to get it a couple of years ago.  I see that it has now doubled in value.  I still want to keep it.  It is funny in that I ordered it because of the great poster it had, after getting it and finding this gem, I have done a lot of research on 40's British Horror.  They really made some great films with good story and a lot of atmosphere.

I have read that THE OLD DARK HOUSE is not one of Castle's better efforts and is mostly ignored by everyone, although I have never seen it, I am a fan of Tom Poston (poor man's Don Knotts) I really am looking forward to finally seeing this.

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 27 2009 - 02:00 AM

Regarding DEAD OF NIGHT, I also have the DVD of this. When TCM showed it recently, the transfer was much better in both sound and visual. Luckily I put it on my hard drive and made a DVDr of it. Despite the TCM logo intrusions, I threw out the pressed DVD and inserted the DVDr in the package.

Originally Posted by ahollis 

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 10:10 AM

I liked "the Old Dark House." I'm not big on horror, but this is a scary tale that I could show some family members and when I was little I remember being surprised by who the villain was revealed into being. Today it's kind of obvious.

I really wish "the Old Dark House"would be released individually, I'd buy some copies for some friends.

James

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 10:24 AM

It is a pity Columbia don't own "Macabre" (Allied Artists), which would have been an essential part of this box-set.
Steve Pickard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users