What's new

torn between the Onkyo TX-SR706 or the Denon AVR-1910 (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Both models are very close in features, both have never owned either brand. Currently using a yamaha that I've been happy with but wanted to change things up. I was leaning towards the Marantz sr5003 until I saw the new denon listed at $549. I know the marantz sounds great and assume the denon would sound similar, being sister brands. But now that the new onkyo's are out I've seen the 706 online for $550. I have no real experience with this receiver, but the added thx certification has to be good for something.

Please respond with your thoughts or suggestions. My main requirements are HDMI switching with good analog component upconversion( for the wii). Also ready to hear what dolby truehd and dts hd can do for a surround system. Multiroom/multisource are needed for the patio setup. My system consists of Panny plasma and blu-ray, DirecTV hd dvr, cd, pioneer dvd(for dvd audio/sacd) using the multichannel outputs.

thanks !!

p.s. Forgot to mention that I'm using DefTech speakers; 5.1 sub-sat system

Edited by KevinW - 8/18/2009 at 03:50 am GMT

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned both. Denon several years ago and Onkyo right now (and B&K in between). I don't think you can go wrong with either. Some say the Denon has a slight sound advantage (not so sure about that personally) and the Onkyo has better features and sometimes better internal components for the price. It was very hard deciding between the two for my recent purchase and it just came down to a slightly less expensive alternative. Personally, it only came down to those two brands, and after hearing the Audyssey products, I wouldn't consider any other brands. I don't really think you'll notice much difference with hd audio, it's more just knowing that you're not missing anything due to compression. (I'm also using DefTech mains and surrounds) If you decide on the Onkyo, call some of the authorized dealers directly for their best price, many of them don't advertise the actual price due to agreements with manufacturers. I got mine for a few bucks more than the refurbs were selling for, and that means another year warranty.

bradGV

Auditioning
Just to throw another wrench in the works, I just picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX03 for $580 online, it's last years model, but it has got all the new sound formats, 3 HDMI in and 1 out, pretty well loaded. I looked at the Denon, not really the Onkyo, but the Pioneer seemed to have more punch, and filled out the sound stage a little better. It's also a THX2 select receiver, so the credentials are up there. If you get one (you can search online) I would definetly look at resellerratings.com I think there are some sketchy places out there selling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks