What's new

Odd MASH question (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Now that all seasons of MASH have been released, does anyone know if there has been any announcement regarding the release of AfterMASH??

Yeah, I know the quality was not the same (what series sequal is?) but I thought that it may be fun for MASH collectors to have.

One item that could be added as a bonus : I remember watching a pilot on CBS that never went to series featuring the character of Radar from MASH. I believe that it only aired once, but would be a fun bonus on an AfterMASH set.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything about AfterMASH, but the pilot was named W*A*L*T*E*R

From WIKI "In the 1984 television movie W*A*L*T*E*R, which was intended as a pilot for another prospective spinoff show, Radar - having sold the family farm and sent his mother to live with an aunt - moves to St. Louis, Missouri, leaving Iowa and the "Radar" nickname behind (now just being known as Walter O'Reilly), and joins the police department."

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I"m guess the idea of releasing the follow-up series on DVD was either never considered or has been abandoned. Frankly, I don't think it would ever sell. Devoted M*A*S*H fans know the show wasn't that good. And I don't think enough enough fans would care enough to bother with it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
W.A.L.T.E.R. never really took off for the network much like the studio was hoping it would. As far as Aftermash goes, I remember watching it when ti first broadcast and the series wasn't exactly all that great. It was a horrible show.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"AfterMASH" pulled in good ratings its first season, but CBS found a way to kill it by moving it opposite Dynasty as I recalled, and that's when everyone tuned out and it got cancelled early into its second season.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With only 30 or 31 episodes, and the WALTER pilot, this would be relatively easy to get out on DVD if any company cared to do it.

Personally, I'd love to see a complete AfterMASH release, because I've never seen the series, and I'd like to see if the show is bad or not.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
As I recall, the show was pretty humorous but it wasn't MASH, and that is what I think a lot of people were disappointed in. Same characters, transplanted to a new setting, different situations. But I thought it was pretty amusing.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Don't bet on AfterMASH being released because even Fox knows that they would have a hard time selling it to fans of the original series. The show wasn't the same without the entire original cast and I believe that Harry Morgan and Jamie Farr were the only two stayovers from the original series.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Fox just tried to capitalize on the "MASH" name which was humorous since the hospital was based in the states.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

Don't bet on AfterMASH being released because even Fox knows that they would have a hard time selling it to fans of the original series. The show wasn't the same without the entire original cast and I believe that Harry Morgan and Jamie Farr were the only two stayovers from the original series.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Fox just tried to capitalize on the "MASH" name which was humorous since the hospital was based in the states.
Father Mulcahy (William Christopher) also transferred his character over to AfterMASH

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

MASH was milked in novels too. Richard Hooker penned several sequels to his original book, all about Hawkeye and company getting into antics stateside, and beyond.

I knew about "MASH goes to Maine", but was surprised at how many others there were!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind owning "AfterMASH" ... As long as it was put out in a complete series set for around $35. As I recall, there were about a half-dozen "nice" eps in there. It certainly has more value than, say, "Galactica:1980" which *did* get a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks