Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Road Runner Internet and wireless router

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted August 15 2009 - 10:28 PM

Changing from Verizon adsl, which has been slow and far from reliable, to Road Runner inernet from BrightHouse inTampa which is via cable. Thinking of going wireleess at the same time and they are offering a "special deal" on a wireless router of $150.00. Now, looking at Best Buy wireless routers are available for a lot less than this.  So, is there anything special about this internet provider that it requires a $150.00 router?

If I do not have to get their router any suggestions as to what I should buy?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 16 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hi, Well for 150 bucks you could get a Very nice router like a Gaming Router but if your NOT a Gamer No need to get one of those. I highly doubt the Router they are giving you is a Gaming router anyway..

I would suggest just going out and get a Router yourself 150$ is a little bit high??

What do you use the internet mostly for?? ie,, Gaming..Internet,email and surfin??
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted August 16 2009 - 04:59 PM

I have RR Brighthouse on the Pinellas side of the bay. I'd recommend you pick up a D-Link DIR-655 Wireless router. You can pick one up for $100 at CompUSA on Dale Mabry.

It has a very strong signal, and all the features you might need in a wireless router, including a second SSID you can set up for visitors to access wireless on wifi devices without worrying about anyone gaining access to your personal network and computers.

If it's more powerful than you need, there are less expensive alternatives available. The Linksys Wireless G router is always a decent buy.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted August 16 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thanks very much. Iam not into gaming; just use the computer for the internet and email so the D-Link siunds just the job with $50.00 left to spend on a couple oof Blu Ray titles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users