-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Can Bose Acoustimass 15 powered sub be used alone??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 15 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hi Everybody!

I have an Onkyo TX-Sr507 reciever I just bought.  I cannot afford to buy new speakers-but I have an old Bose Acoustimass 15 speaker set.  I know what most people's opinion of Bose is-not what I'm here for-the question is....can I use the subwoofer with my new system and not use all that goofy wiring that comes with it.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

#2 of 13 Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted August 15 2009 - 02:40 PM

If you are going to use the speakers, it's best to use the goofy wiring that it came with.  You want to wire everything going into the bass module and the satellites connected to the bass module, not the receiver.

#3 of 13 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted August 15 2009 - 04:31 PM

Jeff,

Not an opinion or dis of BOSE...  Just making you aware that the BOSE is not a sub, but rather a "bass module".  It will not go nearly as low as a real sub.  If you are using the other speakers in the set, then you have to use the bass module or you will be missing even more of the sound.   Hook them up as instructed by BOSE.  Also, you probably won't be able to use the Audyssey EQ on the Onkyo.

#4 of 13 darkknight2124

darkknight2124

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 16 2009 - 07:24 PM

hey people are u bored or are u fed up with your system at home. Come to this site and you will find all the things a home theatre system really needs. It has cool things of Sony, Philips and has links to those websites from which you can buy these things real easy.The address of the website is

hometheatresystem-cool.blogspot.com

do visit it.you can get help form this web site.I got help once from there may u can too.thanx

#5 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2009 - 12:12 PM

Thanks all.  I am just using the bookshelf speakers w. no sub at the moment.  I have no intention of using that 'module' if I have to use their wiring set-up.  The speakers don't sound bad run into the receiver-I just need some bottom!! 

Any recommendations on a fairly inexpensive sub???

#6 of 13 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts

Posted August 17 2009 - 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Schrems 

Any recommendations on a fairly inexpensive sub???

Define what you mean by inexpensive (what is your budget).

#7 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 17 2009 - 05:31 PM

$200-$300

#8 of 13 David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 1,986 posts

Posted August 18 2009 - 05:07 AM

The Dayton sub from Parts Express - http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=300-392 - gets a lot of recommendations.  It was designed by Dr. Hsu (of HSU Subwoofers).

HSU has a sub for $300 - http://www.hsuresear...ucts/stf-1.html

SVS has a sub for $429 that will make the ones above look like amateurs.  Their website appears to be down at the moment.  Look it up at www.svsound.com when they come back online.

#9 of 13 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 18 2009 - 05:19 AM

Thanks!

#10 of 13 jesussavedjoe

jesussavedjoe

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 04:25 PM

If you hook up the the Bose 15 with out the other speakers you will get get buzzing or humming sound .This is feed back from the sbwoofer and can damage the unit. I know form doing that same thing my self.I am sorry you are not happy with your Bose 15 system.I like the sound it provides and possibly would be willing to purchase it from you.Let me know if you are interested and if it is a series 11 or the orignal.Thank joe

#11 of 13 CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 05:17 PM

Jeff,

Don't tell us you have not been warned.  You run the risk of blowing your receiver.

If you contact Bose they will tell you not to connect the Bose cubes in the manner that you have done.  They must be connected through the Bass Module using the Bose wiring.   Bose will not release the specifications of those cube speakers but we suspect that they many be 4ohms or less.   Running speakers with with such a low ohm rating  directly could damage your Onkyo receiver.  

If you need more bass then hook up you system through the Bose Bass Module and then purchase a stand alone powered sub.  Also the Bass module does provide equalization to the cubes that does improve the performance of the speakers.

#12 of 13 Beardawg55

Beardawg55

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 21 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm not sure how much power your receiver is putting out, but Sherwood (Hsu Research) has a nice line of subs for home theater in the $150.00 to $450.00 range. Powered and non-powered. Check Amazon. I am using a SWH-672 with a VIZIO Soundbar (due to space limitations and a real small apartment) and it sounds great, but they make bigger subs and are easy on the pocketbook. Peace!!:)

#13 of 13 Beardawg55

Beardawg55

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 21 2012 - 01:35 PM

BTW, I also have a Bose Acoustimass sub and only one pair of cubes bought in a garage sale for ten bucks, no manual or anything. Hence, I don't know how to hook it up or what I need to make it work??:confused: