What's new

Defeating internet timeouts? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I enjoy a streaming radio station that uses CBS Radio Player. I used to be able to turn it on and let it be background music for the house. They've now changed it to where it times out if it doesn't detect any activity on the computer. I know some pay internet radio sites do this to encourage subscriptions, but you can't subscribe to the CBS Radio networks. I'd like to get the old functionality back. I've tried an ancient program (late '90s) that somebody made to keep a dialup internet connection alive by simulating someone surfing the internet, but it didn't work. Is there anything else that can be done, or perhaps another program that is proven to work?

I'm not trying to defeat a pay site. Here's the station I listen to:

http://www.kluv.com/pages/4194656.php

The HD2 channel. Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy an HD receiver and get this channel over the air. It's what the standard channel used to be before they decided to focus on the '70s.​

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Never mind. When CBS first implemented timeouts, they didn't have an explanation on their website. Now they do.

In an effort to control streaming fees paid to agencies that represent artists, record labels & publishers many companies that provide Internet music services, including CBS Radio, have activated time-out features. In our case, between the hours of 10p - 5a, the CBS Radio player will stop streaming (time-out) after two hours of inactivity. What this means is, if you launch the player, minimize it then leave it untouched for two hours the stream will stop until you either mouse over it or click the start button to resume streaming.
While you may be an active listener, there are thousands who are not, and CBS Radio is held accountable for every song played while the player is on whether somebody is actually listening to it or not. We've set the time-out feature to function outside of normal peak listening hours to pose as little inconvenience on our active users as possible.

That's reasonable. I didn't even realize there was a window. I suppose it won't be too much of a hardship to hit Play again in the morning after it has timed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks