Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Miracle on 34th Street (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,819 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

THIS HOLIDAY SEASON CAPTURE THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS AND DISCOVER THE MOST PRECIOUS GIFT OF ALL – SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
BLU-RAY DISC

Academy Award Winning* 1947 Black-And-White Original Classic 
And 1994 John Hughes Production Remake Debut On Blu-Ray Disc October 6 
From Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment

Loaded With Bonus Features Including Commentary By Maureen O’Hara,
A Making Of Featurette and More!

“Christmas wouldn't be complete without it.”
7M Pictures

CENTURY CITY, Calif. - Journey through the eyes of one skeptical young girl convinced that Santa Claus does not exist, and experience the magic of Christmas as she learns dreams do come true, when Miracle On 34th Street debuts on Blu-ray Disc October 6 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. The original enchanting Oscar winning 1947 black-and-white classic and the 1994 remake will be released separately in stunning high definition for the first time.

When the man assigned to play Santa in the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is found intoxicated Kris Kringle is hired to take his place, and does such an impressive job, he is appointed to continue the role at Macy’s flagship store on 34th street in New York City. Insistent that he truly is Santa Claus, Kringle is faced with disheartening cynicism from children, their parents and Macy’s executives, and ultimately forced to undergo psychological evaluations. Determined to prove himself, he manages to rekindle the miracles and enchantment of Christmas and make believers of them all.

Starring Maureen O’Hara (The Parent Trap), John Payne (Kansas City Confidential), Edmund Gwenn (The Trouble With Harry) in his Oscar-winning performance as Kris Kringle, and Academy Award nominee** Natalie Wood (West Side Story), the original Miracle On 34th Street is one of the most endearing and beloved holiday classics. Ranked ninth by the American Film Institute on its AFI’s 100 Years... 100 Cheers list, in 2005, it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” 

The Blu-ray Disc is loaded with bonus features including commentary by silver screen legend Maureen O’Hara, a making of featurette, a historical overview of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and more.

The modern John Hughes production retelling stars Golden Globe nominee*** Elizabeth Perkins (Big), Golden Globe winner Dylan McDermott (Best Actor, “The Practice”), Oscar winner Richard Attenborough (Best Director, Ghandi) and Mara Wilson (Matilda).

Each film will be available for the suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada. Prebook is September 9.

Synopsis:
Six-year-old Susan doubts childhood’s most enduring miracle, Santa Claus. Her mother told her the “secret” of Santa a long time ago, so Susan does not expect to receive the most important gifts on her Christmas list. But after meeting a special department store Santa, who is convinced he is the real thing, Susan is given the most precious gift of all – something to believe in.

Blu-Ray Disc Specs:
Miracle On 34th Street Blu-ray disc (1947 Version) is presented in Full Screen; Audio: English: 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Mono / Spanish & French: Mono; English and Spanish subtitles

Bonus features include: 
  • Audio commentary by Maureen O’Hara
  • AMC Back Story: Miracle On 34th Street
  • Movietone News: Hollywood Spotlight
  • Promotional Spot
  • Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade: Floating in History
  • Poster Gallery

Miracle On 34th Street Blu-ray disc (1994 Version) is presented in Widescreen; Audio: English: 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, 5.1 Dolby Digital / French: Dolby Surround; English, French and Spanish subtitles

Miracle On 34th Street Blu-Ray Disc (1947 Version)
Street Date:
October 6, 2009
Prebook Date:
September 9, 2009
Pricing:
$34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Catalog #:
Rating:
G
Total Run Time:
96 Minutes
Closed Captioned:
Yes
Miracle On 34th Street Blu-Ray Disc (1994 Version)
Street Date:
October 6, 2009
Prebook Date:
September 9, 2009
Pricing:
$34.99 U.S. / $37.99 Canada
Catalog #:
Rating:
PG
Total Run Time:
114 Minutes
Closed Captioned:
Yes

*1948: Best Supporting Actor, Edmund Gwenn; Best Writing, Original Story; Best Writing, Screenplay
**1956: Best Supporting Actress – Rebel Without A Cause; 1962: Best Actress – Splendor in the Grass; 1964: Best Actress – Love With the Proper Stranger
***2006 & 2007: Best Supporting Actress – “Weeds”

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,060 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 12 2009 - 11:53 AM

I'll pick up the original, but the remake is a definite pass.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 16 Shakey67

Shakey67

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 02:39 AM

There's no earthly reason they couldn't fit both of these on one Blu-Ray disc -- if they had, I'd have shelled out for the upgrade. As it is, I'll pass. Lame.

#4 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey67 View Post

There's no earthly reason they couldn't fit both of these on one Blu-Ray disc -- if they had, I'd have shelled out for the upgrade. As it is, I'll pass. Lame.

You can always fit more on a Blu-ray if you apply additional compression. At some point, though, you start sacrificing quality.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,991 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 13 2009 - 03:42 AM

I only want the original, and I'm relieved to see them calling it "the original black and white classic"; on DVD it was stuck on the second disc while the colorized version got disc 1.

And it's interesting to see them refer to it as "full screen". I assume it means the original aspect ratio of 1.37:1, but since the native HD resolution is 16x9 it can't possibly be called "full screen" anymore.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#6 of 16 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 09:17 AM

Where's the love for the 1973 tv movie remake? /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

#7 of 16 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

You can always fit more on a Blu-ray if you apply additional compression. At some point, though, you start sacrificing quality.
In this case with a total running time of a little over 200 min, and considering that one film is pillar boxed and B&W, I don't think there would be any sacrifice in quality.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#8 of 16 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce View Post

In this case with a total running time of a little over 200 min, and considering that one film is pillar boxed and B&W, I don't think there would be any sacrifice in quality.

Doug

I didn't say there would be. Not having access to the digital files, and not knowing the requirements of the extras, I wouldn't presume to say either way.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#9 of 16 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

I didn't say there would be. Not having access to the digital files, and not knowing the requirements of the extras, I wouldn't presume to say either way.
Yes if there were HUGE amounts of extras, it could push the limits. But with what is listed here, and likely all of it is 480i from the original dvd releases, they aren't even coming close to pushing the limits for a 50 gig blu-ray.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#10 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,060 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 01:17 PM

Or they simply knew that a lot of people thought he 1994 remake was crap, and therefore would feel ripped off if it was included in the set and MSRP was higher. :)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 16 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey67 

This is the first time I've ever seen a studio called "lame" for paying no attention to the idea that it's supposed to include the original film AND its remake.  Talk about going overboard with demands....

#12 of 16 Shakey67

Shakey67

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 14 2009 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR 

This is the first time I've ever seen a studio called "lame" for paying no attention to the idea that it's supposed to include the original film AND its remake.  Talk about going overboard with demands....
Overboard? Phooey! The Criterion Collection included the 1935 version of "Magnificent Obsession" along with the 1954 Douglas Sirk version that all the kids are raving about these days.  And Universal threw in a startlingly awful 70's remake of "Double Indemnity" with the Billy Wilder classic.  Why not do the same with this picture?

In all fairness, though, I suppose one's opinion on this matter may hinge on one's opinion of the remake.  I always considered the original "Miracle" to be vastly superior to the 90's remake (and a 70's TV version? Yikes), so I guess it just wouldn't occur to me that there would be an equal demand for both; hence, throw 'em together as a two-fer.

And Fox is still lame.  If not for this, then definitely for threatening to hold up "Watchmen".  Also, they stole my lunch money one time.

#13 of 16 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,613 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 14 2009 - 11:44 AM

The BRD of Gigi included an earlier non-musical version of the story.  The (IMHO pointless) remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still included the original classic version.  More food for thought.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#14 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,060 posts

Posted August 14 2009 - 01:19 PM

The earlier Gigi was standard def from a fairly poor print (EN subs burned in, IIRC).

The original The Day the Earth Stood Still was released by itself already.

#15 of 16 Shakey67

Shakey67

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted August 15 2009 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls 

The (IMHO pointless) remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still included the original classic version.  More food for thought.
That's right - I forgot about that one! Another reason why Fox is lame: that remake. Putting the '51 original with the remake is like recording a cover of "She Loves You" with barking dogs and putting the Beatles version on the b-side.

#16 of 16 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,991 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 15 2009 - 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey67 View Post

Quote:

That's right - I forgot about that one! Another reason why Fox is lame: that remake. Putting the '51 original with the remake is like recording a cover of "She Loves You" with barking dogs and putting the Beatles version on the b-side.
It would have been, if the original were not available separately.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users