Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: Monsters, Inc. (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,283 posts

Posted August 10 2009 - 06:55 AM

MONSTERS, INC.

Disney/Pixar’s Animated Classic Available 
For the First Time in Blu-ray High Definition!

On 2-Disc Disney Blu-ray Hi Def + DisneyFile Digital Copy November 10, 2009,

Available for the SRP of $39.99

ALL NEW BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES
  • Filmmakers Round Table 
o  Filmmakers Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich, Darla Anderson, and Bob Peterson reflect on the creation of the film, and share their most memorable anecdotes.
  • MONSTERS, INC. RIDE AND GO SEEK: BUILDING MONSTROPOLIS IN TOKYO 
o  A sneak peak of the newest Monsters attraction in Tokyo Disneyland, with exclusive interviews of the artists and engineers behind the ride.
  • ROZ’S 100 DOOR CHALLENGE (INTERACTIVE GAME) 
o   Think you have what it takes to be a Monsters, Inc. employee? Roz will be the judge of that with her 100 Door Challenge. Deal with whatever is behind each new door. It could be a puzzle, a trivia question, a mini-game . . . it could be crazy! Do your best. Your future employment at Monsters, Inc. hangs in the balance.
  • BD-LIVE FEATURES
  • DISNEY FILE DIGITAL COPY FOR iTUNES AND WINDOW MEDIA PLAYER 

PLUS ORIGINAL DVD BONUS FEATURES:
·      Academy Award® nominated short film “Mike’s New Car“ (With Audio Commentary By Directors)
·      Academy Award® winning short film “For the Birds” (With Audio Commentary By Director)
·      Banished Concepts 
·      Storyboard To Film Comparison 
·      Monster file
·      Animation Gag Reel 1: Sulley/Boo/Waternoose 
·      Animation Gag Reel 2: Giraffe Gag 
·      Animation Gag Reel 3: Sulley Bowling Boo

MONSTERS, INC. BLU-RAY DISC PRODUCT DETAILS:

STREET DATE:  November 10, 2009

Direct pre-book:  9/15/09                        
Distributor pre-book:  9/29/09            

Suggested Retail Price: $45.99; $52.99 Canada
Feature run time: 95 minutes                         
Rated:  G 
The following technical specifications may only apply to feature:
Aspect ratio:  2.35:1
Video: 1080p, Widescreen
Sound: 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, 5.1 Dolby Digital English, French, Spanish                                    
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product, which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 10:08 AM

Can I get a version without the stupid DVD (I already own it) and without the Digital Copy (I would never use it) and pay less than $45.99?

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 12 2009 - 11:02 AM

You can order from Amazon.uk.co and get the 2 disc version  (Movie Disc + Extras Disc) for about $26 shipped when I checked yesterday.  No DVD or Digital Copy.

It has an all region Movie disc and a disc of extras (some confusion about whether this disc is PAL or not though).  At least one of the reviews state that this disc is NTSC though I can't confirm.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Simon Young

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted August 12 2009 - 12:35 PM

I can confirm that the extras disc on the UK release is a combination of 1080p/1080i/480p/480i, so it's probably identical to the US release.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 12:19 AM

So the UK release is the exact same thing as this upcoming US release as far as film specs and bonus features go?
If so, I'm just going to order it from Amazon UK.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted August 13 2009 - 02:49 AM

Maybe by June of 2010 this will be cheap enough for me to buy, but maybe not.  I'm through spending over $20 for one movie unless there is special added value.  I like this movie, but not for the $$ I'd have to pay.

Ironically, the best example I have of special added value is Blade Runner and I bought that on sale from Amazon for $15.  Yikes.

Ok, I'm confused.  This announcement is for the BD, right?  Why are there two MSRPs?  I don't see two different versions.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 05:52 AM

Just ordered the UK version.  I prefer this to waiting 3 months to get an extra disc I don't need and the accompanying overpricing.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 13 2009 - 07:34 AM

I actually don't mind including the DVD for a new release (Bolt or UP), but have little use for the Digital Copy. 

UK Blu $26 shipped vs 28.50 (currently) for the US 3 disc release is really a non issue and it wouldn't surprise me if the US disc drops below $25 by release date based on previous history.  

Getting it 2 1/2-3 months early is the biggest reason I ordered from UK.   From all the press releases and reviews I can find,  the extras appear to be identical for the US, UK, and JP releases.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 07:41 AM

The JP version (not sure about UK) uses the non-English release, which replaces some of the signs and displays with pictograms instead of text.  This was done by in-house by Pixar for the theatrical releases for several markets, so it's not revisionism/PC self-censoring/Lucas-level monkeying, but worth noting just in case.

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 13 2009 - 08:06 AM

From reports, the UK release uses the original signs from the US release and also doesn't have a musical piece/outtakes at the end credits that apparently was part of the European/International theatrical release, but not the US.   The Outtake/Musical are in the extras though.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted August 13 2009 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Norman 

From reports, the UK release uses the original signs from the US release and also doesn't have a musical piece/outtakes at the end credits that apparently was part of the European/International theatrical release, but not the US.   The Outtake/Musical are in the extras though.
Yup. I have the disc and can confirm all that. :)

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 14 2009 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

Maybe by June of 2010 this will be cheap enough for me to buy, but maybe not.  I'm through spending over $20 for one movie unless there is special added value.  I like this movie, but not for the $$ I'd have to pay.

Ironically, the best example I have of special added value is Blade Runner and I bought that on sale from Amazon for $15.  Yikes.

Ok, I'm confused.  This announcement is for the BD, right?  Why are there two MSRPs?  I don't see two different versions.

Yeah so which is it?

Ron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein 

MONSTERS, INC.

Disney/Pixar’s Animated Classic Available 
For the First Time in Blu-ray High Definition!

On 2-Disc Disney Blu-ray Hi Def + DisneyFile Digital Copy November 10, 2009,

Available for the SRP of $39.99

STREET DATE:  November 10, 2009

Direct pre-book:  9/15/09                        
Distributor pre-book:  9/29/09            

Suggested Retail Price: $45.99; $52.99 Canada
Feature run time: 95 minutes                         ...

facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 16 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,191 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 14 2009 - 02:40 PM

^ For what it's worth, Amazon has it listed for $40.99 MSRP (with an actual price of $28.49).

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted August 20 2009 - 05:02 PM

I am as big a Pixar fan as any, but the prices that $45.99 MSRP translate to on the street are just not justified, DVD and Digital copy or not.
I'll wait for Up, A Bug's Life, and Monsters Inc. to come down, and have plenty of great titles being released at or below my $23 shipped price limit to hold me over.

It just seems like an unfortunate trend with BVHE these days.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   RDarrylR

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted August 21 2009 - 01:00 PM

Currently up for sale at amazon in Canada for only CDN$ 34.95. :(

I'm going to buy from amazon UK instead.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,865 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 21 2009 - 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR 

^ For what it's worth, Amazon has it listed for $40.99 MSRP (with an actual price of $28.49).
FWIW (and I don't think it's much), Amazon now has it listed with a $45.99 MSRP (with it's sale price still at $28.49).

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon