-

Photo
- - - - -

BVHE Press Release: UP (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted August 10 2009 - 06:14 AM

The #1 Animated Film of the Year

From the Creators of Finding Nemo and Monsters, Inc.  
Comes the Hilarious and Unforgettable Adventure 

Disney
Pixar’s 
Up 

Coming to Blu-Ray™ Hi-Def and DVD with Disneyfile Digital Copy on 
November 10, 2009

Burbank, California, August 10, 2009 — An exhilarating, hilarious and heartfelt animated 
adventure comes home when Disney•Pixar’s Up arrives on Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD on 
November 10, 2009 from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.  Blending inspired 
whimsy with powerful emotion, the hugely successful feature film is an artistic and 
entertaining tour de force for the entire family. Up is available in a four-disc Blu-ray 
Combo Pack, and a two-disc DVD, which both include DisneyFile, a digital copy of the 
movie that can be viewed on an array of electronic devices, as well as enough bonus 
features that keep the fun coming.  

Academy Award®-nominee Pete Docter (2008, Best Original Screenplay, WALL•E; 2001, 
Best Animated Feature Film, Monsters, Inc.) directs one of the funniest fantasy- 
adventures of all time featuring a gifted voice cast that includes Ed Asner (Elf), 
Christopher Plummer (Inside Man), Up co-director and writer Bob Peterson (Monsters, 
Inc.), Delroy Lindo (This Christmas) and John Ratzenberger (who has lent his voice to 
every Disney•Pixar feature film).   

Up is the tenth in an unprecedented streak of critical and box office triumphs for 
Disney•Pixar that includes four Academy Award® winners for Best Animated Feature— 
WALL•E (2008), Ratatouille (2007), The Incredibles (2004) and Finding Nemo (2003)— 
as well as Cars, Monsters, Inc., Toy Story 2, A Bug’s Life and Toy Story. Up joined each 
of its predecessors in ranking #1 at the box office on its opening weekend. 

BONUS FEATURES FOR UP 
• Commentary by director Pete Docter and co-director Bob Peterson. 
• Dug’s Special Mission – An all new original short film that follows the 
misadventures of Dug as he attempts to complete his “special mission.” The 
short is directed by Up Story Supervisor, Ronnie Del Carmen. 
• The Many Endings of Muntz – Many ideas were hatched about how to dispose 
of the film’s arch villain, Muntz, and now viewers can see the many alternate 
endings proposed during story development. 
• Partly Cloudy –The hilarious short film that preceded screenings of Up. 
Everyone knows that the stork delivers babies, but where do the storks get the 
babies? The answer lies up in the stratosphere where the cloud Gus is a master 
at creating “dangerous” babies, which prove to be more than a handful for his 
loval delivery stork Peck. Directed by Pixar story artist, animator and voice actor 
Peter Sohn. 
• Adventure is Out There – This action-packed documentary tells the story of the 
filmmakers’ own trek to the tepuis mountains of South America to research the 
design and story of the film.  

And, only on Blu-ray Hi-Def, hours of features, and behind-the scenes bonus features, 
including:   
• Cine-Explore – A visual montage of concept art, clips and documentary 
coverage that illustrates the directors’ commentary. 
• Geriatric Hero – A character study of Carl, from research to realization including 
art and design, rigging, animation and story. It focuses on the issues of aging, 
“simplexity”, shape-language and compelling character arcs. 
• Canine Companions – For anyone who ever wondered where CG puppies 
come from, an introduction to the design, behavior and language of dogs.  
• Russell: Wilderness Explorer – A character study of Russell from inspiration 
and design to finding the character arc and authentic voice for this wilderness 
ranger.  
• Our Giant Flightless Friend, Kevin – Find out how avian research and 
development at Pixar helped bring a mythical, 13-foot tall iridescent bird to life. 
• Homemakers of Pixar – Carl and Ellie’s house is an important “character” in the 
film. Fans follow the development of the house from story to art to its ultimate 
realization in the computer. 
• Balloons and Flight – Carl’s house and Muntz's dirigible presented the 
filmmakers with two different problems—how could they make a physical 
impossibility possible? And, in the case of the dirigible, how would they unearth a 
fallen giant and let it soar? 
• Composing for Characters – Composer Michael Giacchino returns to score his 
third Disney•Pixar feature film. See how the Up filmmakers collaborated with 
Giacchino to create the memorable score and compelling musical themes. 
• Married Life – The original story concept that became the powerful “Married Life” 
scene, showing Carl and Ellie’s love story. 
• Global Guardian Badge Game – Players try to locate countries, states and 
capitals around the globe in a multi-layered BD-Exclusive geography game 
enhanced by BD-Live. 

Synopsis: 
Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios take moviegoers up, up and away on 
one of the funniest adventures of all time with their latest comedy-fantasy. Up follows the 
uplifting tale of 78-year-old balloon salesman Carl Fredricksen, who finally fulfills his 
lifelong dream of a great adventure when he ties thousands of balloons to his house and 
flies away to the wilds of South America. But he discovers all too late that his biggest 
nightmare has stowed away on the trip: an overly optimistic 8-year-old Wilderness 
Explorer named Russell. Their journey to a lost world, where they encounter some 
strange, exotic and surprising characters, is filled with hilarity, emotion and wildly 
imaginative adventure. 

Up has a suggested retail price of $39.99 SRP (US) or $44.99 SRP (Canada) for the 2- 
Disc DVD, and $45.99 SRP (US) or $52.99 SRP (Canada) for the 4-Disc Blu-ray Combo 
pack.  A 1-Disc DVD is also available at SRP $29.99 (US), $35.99 (Canada) 

STREET DATE: 11/10 
Direct prebook: 9/1   
Distributor prebook: 9/15   
Pricing: 2-Disc DVD:  $39.99, 4-Disc Bluy-ray Combo: $45.99   
Feature run time: 96 minutes     
Rated: PG     
Bonus Materials Not Rated in US 
Technical specifications may only apply to feature. 
Aspect ratio: DVD: Widescreen 16x9    
Sound: SD: 5.1 Dolby Digital, BD: Dolby Digital EX 1080P  
Languages: English, Canadian French, Spanish    

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home 
entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, 
Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product, which includes 
DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home 
Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 10 2009 - 06:28 AM

Despite the high MSRP, I'm sure there will be good deals on it since this will be a huge seller.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,032 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted August 10 2009 - 06:41 AM

There had better be deals.
I know I have been very outspoken on this site about people complaining about blu-rays costing too much. I have always said that blu-ray is better so it is understandable that they are more than the DVD. BUT.... I was talking about $5 more, not $20. I refuse to ever pay more than about $25 to $28 for a Blu-Ray.

If the price for this movie on amazon stays at $42, I really hope nobody buys it. If they do, then we can surely expect all future releases to be at that price.

And Disney,  don't give me the "But it includes a DVD and A digital copy". Big freak en dooooo. I don't need either one of those, and don't think they are worth $20 extra.

-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,542 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 10 2009 - 07:29 AM

Even if Amazon reduces the price to their typical 30% off MSRP, this will still be over $32. At that price, I will rent instead. I do not need a SD-DVD or digital copy, and can wait for a less expensive version without those items. A Bug's Life dropped to $20 before I purchased that BD, and I will wait for this title and Monster's Inc. to each do the same.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted August 10 2009 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S 

And Disney,  don't give me the "But it includes a DVD and A digital copy". Big freak en dooooo. I don't need either one of those, and don't think they are worth $20 extra.
Exactly.  Whenever you see things like 'a $74 value', which I believe I actually saw on the promotional material for one of these films, you know someone is full of shit.  A DVD and a digital copy would be worth $5 extra maybe.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted August 10 2009 - 07:42 AM

I'm getting sick of this "digital copy" stuff, too.  I realize that for some, it's a worthwhile bonus, but to my knowledge, it's still a pretty niche market?  I can only hope that a more bare-bones Blu-Ray release will be announced shortly.  I can't justify the price premium otherwise.

If they would instead include a coupon within the DVD and Blu-Ray releases for $5-10 off the other format, then you'd have a reasonable incentive for those that really want both formats to get them at a discount.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,559 posts

Posted August 10 2009 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S 

There had better be deals. /img/vbsmilies/htf/mad.gif
I know I have been very outspoken on this site about people complaining about blu-rays costing too much. I have always said that blu-ray is better so it is understandable that they are more than the DVD. BUT.... I was talking about $5 more, not $20. I refuse to ever pay more than about $25 to $28 for a Blu-Ray.

If the price for this movie on amazon stays at $42, I really hope nobody buys it. If they do, then we can surely expect all future releases to be at that price.

Well, according to the press release the MSRP for the Blu-ray is just $6 more.  Then again I think the MSRP for the 2-disc DVD is way too high.  BTW, I for one am happy that they include a DVD of the film.  The digital copy is another matter entirely.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 10 2009 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield View Post

Even if Amazon reduces the price to their typical 30% off MSRP, this will still be over $32.

This is one of the biggest movies of the year and all the stores will be trying to undercut the other guy so this will be discounted to at least $30. That's too much for some people but I can deal with it especially since it's the best movie I've seen this year and it's most likely to be a reference disc and a very nice special edition as well.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted August 10 2009 - 08:57 AM

Well, I won't be buying it.  At least not as long as the price is that high.  That's outrageous.  I hope they offer a basic edition for those of us that don't want or need all the extras. 

Last year I bought Wall-E on Blu for $25 from Amazon.  That was the 3-disc edition.  It retails for $40 so it make sense that Up! may be available for $30 as Travis says.  None-the-less, even if it comes down to $30 I will not buy it.  I love Blu-ray, and I will continue to buy Blu-rays, but not at that price.  It's just a little to high for me.

"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 11 2009 - 09:48 AM

And here I thought this was the Russ Meyer version. :)

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted August 20 2009 - 05:13 PM

Quote:

Judging from the responses in this thread for even $30 actual, a lot are people are planning to pass.  As much as I like Pixar and the movie, I really hope people insist on more reasonable prices before purchasing.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted August 20 2009 - 06:04 PM

I would just like to know who writes these press releases, some 20 year old with no command of the English language?  It's shocking, actually.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,335 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted August 21 2009 - 12:10 AM

I'll wait till the proper 3-D version is released - probably 2010.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 25 2009 - 08:41 AM

Great. A month after it's released in theaters here I can buy it on Blu :). Seems like a solid package, though.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,168 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 26 2009 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman 

I would just like to know who writes these press releases, some 20 year old with no command of the English language?  It's shocking, actually.
I wish I could respond to that but I can't read the first post because of the screwy way the forum formatted the post.
It's been a couple months now shouldn't this stuff be fixed?

facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,511 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 26 2009 - 03:32 PM

Tony:  What browser are you using?   It looks fine to me in FF 3.5.2 on XP.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 26 2009 - 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post

I wish I could respond to that but I can't read the first post because of the screwy way the forum formatted the post.
It's been a couple months now shouldn't this stuff be fixed?

This isn't the place to discuss it, Tony, but the problem you're seeing isn't seen by most users and affects only a few threads (and even fewer now that I've changed how I post reviews). The "fix" is not a simple matter, and it has to get in line with a lot of other issues. So, no, a few months isn't much time, given the relative severity and competing priorities. Further discussion belongs in Feedback.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,168 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted August 27 2009 - 11:50 AM

I put it over there too, I don't know why it does that on my macbook, oh well.

Anyway, when this comes down to a reasonable price I'll buy it, until then a rental.

facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted August 28 2009 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK View Post

Quote:

Judging from the responses in this thread for even $30 actual, a lot are people are planning to pass.  As much as I like Pixar and the movie, I really hope people insist on more reasonable prices before purchasing.

To be fair, Disney has issued coupons for a number of releases this year, the last of which was $10 off the Blu-ray edition of Hannah Montana The Movie.  Whether or not we can expect one for UP remains to be seen; if one is made available, I'm sure someone (myself included) will pass along this information.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted August 29 2009 - 01:45 PM

The last several Pixar films have been nothing but complete disappointments, that is until UP. It sits second place to TS1 & 2. A must buy.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!