What's new

Why I Collect (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Stu,

I'll closed the copy of this thread you posted in "Movies & Documentaries" and redirected anyone who's interested to this version.

As I already said there: our members generally do not "promote" their own personal sites (see the HTF rules - link at the bottom of my post), but we'll allow this for old time's sake, and because the "commercial" intentions seem minimal to me.

Cees

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I liked the honesty of your piece, it was free of the kind of delusional justification that usually goes along with these arguments.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Good piece, and very on the mark. Reminds me of a scene in a Warren Zevon documentary. Zevon, who is dying of cancer, walks through his house, and passes bookshelves full of books, and quotes someone else as saying "We buy books because we think we are buying the time to read them."

Also reminds me of the great Twilight Zone episode, Time Enough At Last.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I can relate to that article on many levels, Stu.

Do I really need to own every version of Blade Runner, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, Chariots of Fire, or The English Patient?. Probably not, but every incremental upgrade has been worth the purchase price for a favorite film.

For instance, The English Patient
- Origiinal Laser Disc release
- DTS Laser Disc release
- 1st R1 DVD (flat, letterboxed)
- Japanese Import with 16x9 enhancment
- 2nd R1 DVD SE release on DVD
- Alliance Blu-Ray

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Collecting is the act of making a wish - it's a wish that you will have all the time in the world to watch each and every movie; read every book while every song you own plays just loudly enough in the background to assert itself.
That strikes me a euphemistic way of saying that collecting is a continuing irrational act by someone unable to exercise self control. You know you won't use these items, that they will simply collect dust in shelves and boxes, but you spend your limited money on it regardless.

Now, I don't mean to attack. We're all irrational in our interesting ways. I spend money pursuing a verdant lawn. You might think that literally buying dirt is a far less sensible thing than buying unwatched DVDs.

But, the aspect of this "collecting" that most confuses me is that it's not actually a pursuit of art or beauty. My purchases of dirt and grass seed are in the attempt to create beauty (in my eyes) by cultivating a lush, green yard. The art collector, be it classic or pop, ostensibly is acquring pieces that are displayed, seen, and enjoyed. The other sort of collector that makes sense buys items, locks them away safely, and anticipates their value to increase for future profit.

But the media collector described in this essay neither enjoys the art nor invests in it. The collection is apparently boxed and shelved and not seen by anyone. And then eventually sold at a nearly total loss or simply put in the trash.

So while I can rationalize my purchase of dirt from the hardware store, :) I can't see the "collecting" of DVDs in this manner as much more than an irrational waste of money. But that may say more about me than the essayist. :)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've pretty much stopped collecting films now. Having amassed something like 1500 DVDs (I stopped counting at 1200), I realised it would take me around five years to rewatch everything I already have just one more time. So I've come to the conclusion that collecting, for me, is a waste of time and money. There are simply too many films that I haven't seen that I'd rather watch over something that I have seen.

Now that blu-ray is taking off, I've bought a handful of particular favourites ("Blade Runner", "2001", "Ghostbusters") that I know I'll pull out and watch at least once every couple of years, and I can see amassing a collection of about 50-100 films. But otherwise, it's rentals and the movie channels for me from here on out.

Big Ben

Agent
Real Name
Benjamin Stahly
Collecting movies for me is like a drug. About 6 years years ago I took this to a new extreme when a local video store started selling used DVD's for killer prices. This was especially tempting since it would allow me to check out smaller films that never made it to my local theaters. I myself have now amassed so many many DVD's I've lost count (and I've been collecting DVDs since April 1998), and don't even get me started on the number of DVD's that I have'nt even gotten around to opening out of their shrink wrap.

In my defense, now that I have Hi-Def viewing equipment and have been sucked in completly by it's undeniable improvment in PQ and AQ, I need to look into somehow returning or exchanging any of my unopened DVD versions for Blu-Ray editions. I'm finding myself watching at least one Blu-Ray every night. Now that I've experineced 1080p and DTS-MA (the latest new drug), and can never go back to plain 'ol DVD.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Good piece. And a topic I've often tried to explain or rationalize myself.

First, I find the process more rewarding than the object. The hunt is everything. Not just the hunt to gather a favorite title, but the hunt to score it for a discount price. Then it sits on your shelf. You may or may not watch it at some point. But it's there. It's part of your libary. It's part of the overall reflection of you.

Second, on that note (and this truly is a rationalization), I think of it as a library for my son (now 12) to access as a film class unto itself. This, of course, is a delusion. The idea that he will be interested in the same films as I am is completely narcissistic. Will he care about the lovely French farce, "King of Hearts?" Doubtful. Right now he likes "Transformers 2," which was painful for me to sit through. No story. No plot. No characters I gave a shit about. Sigh. But hope does spring eternal. And there is the hope that, if my son every really does want to know the old man inside and out, he can just check out my DVD libary. And then he might understand "A Clockwork Orange" as a filmmaker's masterpiece and not a teenage rebellion instruction manual.

My final rationalization is that my library is somewhat ... organic. It's never static or un-evolving. I am constantly trading in the favorites and replacing them with Blu-rays, or just filtering out the stuff I never imagine watching again, or that I bought on a whim (my expensive 'rentals' I call them). My book library is the same. Someone once suggested that your library should never be anything but the books you INTEND to read, or read again. Anything else, already read, just pass it on.

Let's face it, this stuff is just passing through us anyway. It really is a delusion to think our particular collection will mean anything significant to anyone other than ourselves. So let's enjoy the moment, enjoy the hunt, take a snapshot, and then let it go or pass it on.

One of my great joys now is to just pluck something from the DVD or book library and GIVE IT to someone at work or in the family whom I think might enjoy it - because of something I already know about their interests or tastes as a friend or relative. I don't want to reach my final breath and let go of the proverbial snow globe while this big collection just sits there collecting dust, and no one else cares about it. If I'm completely successful, one by one, those books and DVDs will find new homes as seeds planted in other ... organic libraries.

But for the moment; for now ... I'm still enjoying mine.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Sharing movie experiences, whether through talking them up, or loaning them to trusted parties, is about as close as I'll ever come to spreading a gospel. In this regard I do have a library, both DVD and BD, though far more limited than many other members. To some degree, it seems to go along with caring enough to own a home theater set-up.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
When you think about it, we dont need any of this stuff. All we need is food, and a place to sleep. Everything, and i mean everything else is bonus. Its what makes work worth doing, and it makes life easier. My ex always liked to tell me i dont need all my movies and music. Of course she was right, i didnt need it, but it made me happy to have it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Parts of my collections (books and movies) are practical--I'm an historian (so I have a LOT of history books) and one of my research areas is historical feature films (so I have a LOT of such films). Parts are very inexpensive (I have a lot of movies that I've purchased at prices lower than a rental and far lower than a cinema ticket--and I have a lot of used books that I've gotten for little money).

I share a number of "rationalizations" with posts above--RickER is right, all we NEED is food, clothing and shelter. And should some catastrophe come along that strips me of my possessions, I'll be sad, but life will continue. I collect some films and books because I think my children will also benefit from exposure to them. I collect films because I like to have people over to watch them with me in the "man-cave" (I have one good friend who is not financially well-off and I enjoy sharing my set-up with him whenever we can do so). I collect films and books because I can afford them and enjoy them (same goes with music--I have no professional need for music, so my practical reason above does not apply--but I've attended few symphonic concerts that cost less than any particular CD of a symphony I have on my shelf, for example, so I guess there is one measure of practicality involved).

I harbour no illusions that my personal "library" will be of interest, as a whole, to anyone but me. However, the pursuit of pleasure--and my books, music and movies provide me with pleasure--is, so long as it is not harmful to others or one's self, not something for which I feel any need to apologize or justify nor is it something I begrudge others.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic

Let's face it, this stuff is just passing through us anyway. It really is a delusion to think our particular collection will mean anything significant to anyone other than ourselves. So let's enjoy the moment, enjoy the hunt, take a snapshot, and then let it go or pass it on.
This is very true. I read threads about how people showcase & store their collections (especially limited editions); or how "such-and-such" disc is demo material.

But the truth of the matter is very few people (besides other collectors) are that interested in it. Our collections are about as interesting as going over to a friends house and seeing dozens of golf bags lined up, or seeing how they have a "reference" or "demo" putter. I could care less.

My collection (probably rather small compared to those with 1,500) and my home theater is a great hobby, but its not an investment.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, if (any of) you are like me, you can easily justify buying many movies (especially when done at good sale prices) as a substitute for buying a couple tix (and maybe also paying for childcare) to see each movie at the local theater.

_Man_

Edited by Man-Fai Wong - 8/12/2009 at 01:26 am GMT

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Big Ben

I would hardly go that far. I have a friend who has a large collection of comic books and action figures and he was thinking about getting rid of them once because his girlfriend at the time didn't think it was cool. (His current girlfriend thinks it is cool that he has things like that that make him happy.) I'll tell you what I told him: Life is too short and too hard to let anyone else tell you what you should enjoy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Favate ">[/url]

I'll tell you what I told him: Life is too short and too hard to let anyone else tell you what you should enjoy.
[/QUOTE]
I agree.

As someone who spends his time, money and energy on all kinds of crazy crap, I think you're good to go as long as you're not letting your hobby interfere with real life. If it comes down to paying your mortage or getting the Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray series set, choose the mortage.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I love walking into my game room closet and looking at my 900+ SDs and my 75+ BDs/HDDVDs and wonder what I'm going to watch today.

I'm retired and I have the rest of my life to enjoy them. My passion is sci-fi/horror with animation and comedy with a sprinkling of old TV shows.

I love sitting down in my home media center surrounded with sci-fi/horror old movie posters which I collect too!

This is my hobby and has always been...collecting and watching movies. Now, my wife would like to take down some of the posters, but it's my room.

I have over 500+ LDs, quite a few I've never even watched, like many of the serials. It's tough to watch the color ones, but the b&ws aren't to bad. Haven't watched a LD in over 2 years. Anyone want to buy them plus the LD/DVD player? Pickup only.

I've upgraded as the industry has moved along and I'm a happy camper.

This afternoon is the SD serial of "The Green Hornet Strikes Back" and tonite is the BD of "Big Trouble in Little China"...the best of all worlds!

Edited by John Sparks - 8/12/2009 at 03:45 pm GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks