Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: New Moratoriums for 2009 (or coming to Blu-ray in 2010)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,356 posts

Posted August 06 2009 - 09:03 PM

WARNER HOME VIDEO ANNOUNCES NEW MORATORIUMS FOR 2009

Burbank, Calif., August 6, 2009 -- Warner Home Video has announced a moratorium initiative that will see North American sales on three best-selling titles frozen for the last four months of the year. The moratorium begins September 4 and includes Video-on-Demand, Electronic Sell Through and all digital delivery. The titles will then be re-introduced at various dates throughout 2010 in new editions celebrating a confluence of events: anniversaries, stunning remasterings, and spectacular new Blu-ray debuts. 

The titles include:

n      CADDYSHACK (anticipating the first Blu-ray release for its 30th anniversary)
Caddyshack did for golf what Animal House did for college fraternities and PoliceAcademy did for law enforcement. Starring Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Ted Knight, with Harold Ramis directing, the movie was included in the AFI’s lists of top comedies and sports films, and has sold more than 3 million videos, to date.

n      THE EXORCIST (anticipating the first Blu-ray release and Special Edition DVD)

The film that reinvented the horror genre, The Exorcist delivered a cultural     earthquake that is still felt today, shocking and enthralling audiences. Directed by William Friedkin and written by William Peter Blatty (from his best-selling novel), The Exorcist won two Academy Awardsâ with another 8 nominations and inspired an entire franchise of sequels and prequels.

n      DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (anticipating the first Blu-ray release for its 45th anniversary)
David Lean’s landmark film, winner of five Academy Awards, represents epic moviemaking at its best and is one of the top ten U.S. grossing films of all time (#8, adjusted for inflation). With its gripping story, brilliant cinematography, magnificent locations, one of the most memorable music scores in history and stellar cast, Doctor Zhivago appeals to movie lovers of all ages. (Doctor Zhivago is currently on moratorium.)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted August 07 2009 - 01:51 AM

I'm excited to hear about Caddyshack and Doctor Zhivago, but I'm a little confused about The Exorcist.  Didn't Warner just announce that it was coming out in a month?

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,619 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 07 2009 - 05:38 AM

Seems like The Exorcist release that was announced for September may be seeing a delay.

I'm ecstatic about Doctor Zhivago. I love that film, and I will be loving a HD version with all those magnificent shots.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,598 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 07 2009 - 10:09 AM

Doctor Zhivago should be (translation: had better be) magnificent in Blu-Ray.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,725 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted August 07 2009 - 02:08 PM

I'm thrilled about Doctor Zhivago, one of my all-time favorites. 

And I hope this means that The Exorcist is now due next year with a revamped package including both versions of the film, which would be great news indeed.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,933 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 08 2009 - 12:58 AM

More David Lean on BD is great news! Doctor Zhivago and Caddyshack are "must buys" for me. As for The Exorcist, I will pick that up only if the original version is included. I have no desire to see "the version you've never seen before" again.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted August 08 2009 - 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMor 

And I hope this means that The Exorcist is now due next year with a revamped package including both versions of the film, which would be great news indeed.
Yes that would be great if they delayed it to include both versions, especially if Friedkin keeps his hands off the original version and only tinkers with "The Version I Couldn't Give a Crap About".

Zhivago will be a purchase sans a Box-O-Junk exclusive.

I suppose it doesn't bode well that there's no announced moratorium on the previously hinted at Ben-Hur and King Kong, probably means we won't be seeing them in 2010.

Death before Streaming!

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted August 08 2009 - 05:03 AM

Only Caddyshack but only if they  finally  clean it up
otherwise I'll  stay with the HD DVD

Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#9 of 9 ONLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,101 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted August 13 2009 - 01:34 PM

I wonder whether Doctor Zhivago will be the first of the David Lean "trilogy" released to Blu-ray. 

In any case, I've got my model 1891 Mosin-Nagants at the ready to help enhance the experience.  They actually went through and survived the Russian Revolution.  

For those who are so inclined, the model 1895 Nagant revolver which Lara used to shoot Victor Komarovsky is available for $80 from places like aimsurplus if you pick up a type 3 FFL.

Posted Image

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users