Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol - Season 9

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#21 of 668 Marco S

Marco S

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted August 07 2009 - 04:51 AM

This is the beginning-- of the end-- of American Idol--

#22 of 668 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 07 2009 - 07:31 AM

I understand that Paula isn't well liked by many of you, but I think her leaving the show is going to hurt the show because I think major portions of this show's demographic audience connected with Paula and accepted her as part of the fabric of the show. 

I don't know if this is the beginning of the end for the show, but I stopped watching the show a couple of years ago because it bored me and its entertainment value diminished for me. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#23 of 668 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted August 08 2009 - 04:54 AM

The fact that "Posh" is already on hand for AI auditions leads me to believe that this was a "done deal" for some time and the producers, for whatever reason, decided long ago to dump Paula. AFAIC, this finally gives me a good reason to "pull the plug" on my support of this program. AI without PA may be fine, but no matter how you cut it, it still won't be AI... at least not to me.
Gary

#24 of 668 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted August 08 2009 - 07:52 AM

Pitchman - I am with you on this.  I barely needed a reason this last season and now I can stop looking for one.   Not that I am pining for Paula, but she added a certain incoherency that I found amusing...

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#25 of 668 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,453 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 01:45 PM

http://news-briefs.e...-american-idol/

While she IS entertaining, she really doesn't have any music-biz connection....

#26 of 668 BobV

BobV

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted September 09 2009 - 07:28 PM

Just ruined the show for me.

Ellen Degeneres? Seriously? Come on. What music pedigree of any sort does she bring to the table?

Lillooet, B.C.
Canada's Arizona

#27 of 668 Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 12:15 AM

Ellen was a guest judge on So You Think You Can Dance. She's certainly witty, and I've liked her as a standup comic since way before her sitcom. But even in the one episode of SYTYCD, it grew old quickly. I can't imagine a whole season. I'll definitely have to see how this plays out. Just because 2 things are entertaining, doesn't mean they'll be even more entertaining together.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

#28 of 668 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 05:31 AM

I guess the producers are convinced the public wants vapid, inoffensive commentary.

And I agree, her guest judge stint on SYTYCD was torture.  Not quite Mary Murphy banshee wailing, but Ellen made my skin crawl.

For the record, I liked her sitcom.  But her talk show is unwatchable.

#29 of 668 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 10 2009 - 07:33 AM

While this is bad, it's American Idol, I mean it can't get much worse, it's already bottom feeding TV.  I've had dvr for years, and the show has been watched in less than 15 minutes every week, even when it's two hours long.  I jump to each song, when it sounds terrible, I skip to the next one.  I only listen to watch simon says. 

I might not even tape it this year.  Not because the judges are bad, or paula left, or any of that, but because 11/12 contestants usually suck, forced "theme" weeks, and just lack of any quality.  With SYTYCD at least I feel like the bad contestants still have some talent.

#30 of 668 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,034 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 10 2009 - 10:08 AM

I like Ellen. She certainly can't be worse than Kara DioGuardi. I hope she learns a lesson from DioGuardi, though, which is to keep it brief. Paula and DioGuardi talked so much that Randy and Simon could barely get a word in edge wise.

#31 of 668 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,502 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 11 2009 - 06:19 AM

I still don't get why they think they need four judges.  It was something of a disaster last season, and I don't see it improving much.

I'm surprised Ellen actually wanted to do it.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#32 of 668 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 11 2009 - 09:10 AM

This just seems like a really odd move.  It reminds me of a few years back when Dennis Miller was put in the Monday Night Football booth.  Like Ellen, I really enjoy Dennis Miller and think he's hilarious, but it was just an strange move for MNF and it's a strange move for AI.

#33 of 668 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 01:34 AM

Am I being too picky or was this one of the least talented group of auditioners?  The three singers they built up going into commercial breaks (Alzheimer's Grandma, Secular Singer, and Nigerian Guy) weren't all that great, and Mormon Cancer guys cancer story wasn't even interesting.  Was he given 5 months to live?  No.  Did he get a transplant from his twin brother?  No.  Did he lose a body part?  Didn't say.  This is American Idol -- we expect more than just cancer.  We expect a cancer story.

The girl with the Downs Syndrome brothers -- now that's a story.  Exploitative and corny, but a story nonetheless.  She looks like John Francis Daly when he was on Freaks & Geeks

http://home.comcast..../johndaly.jpg">

But she needs a makeover stat.  Those short were too snug.  They looked like denim cycling shorts.

Funniest bit of the evening:

"You sing like a three-year-old girl, you dress like LaToya Jackson, and you have a beard."

If you take away the hair, he looks like Kevin Corrigan

Man, Posh Spice looks like she stepped off the set of I, Robot

#34 of 668 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 01:53 AM

I always enjoy the first few weeks of this show.  I really start to lose interest when theme weeks roll around and it dwindles down to six bad singers.

#35 of 668 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,453 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 01:56 AM

The "shakes" are going away...Hanson is back with SAB!!!!!  Yeah, no one knocked me over last night, but I seem to think that last season they kept some of the better singers "under wraps" until Hollywood Week.

Most awkward moment:  when the Bucky Covington look-a-like (he sang "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word") compared his voice to Chris Brown who "likes to touch the lives of young folks."

#36 of 668 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,375 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 13 2010 - 05:14 AM

I don't know about least talented, but it was pretty light on entertaining trainwrecks.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#37 of 668 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 05:29 AM

If tonight wasn't the Atlanta auditions, I'd probably tune out until we get to Hollywood, these audition episodes are getting monotonous.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#38 of 668 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 13 2010 - 06:41 AM

Hanson is BAAAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!

Seriously, I only remembered Down Syndrome Sister and that hotty Ashley Rodriguez.  No one else from tonight's group is going anywhere.

#39 of 668 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted January 13 2010 - 08:31 AM

Anyone notice that one of the three women featured together in the first hour looked like Anne Marie Boscovich after a Krispy Kreme bender?  It's obviously not her since she's ineligible, but the resemblance was uncanny.  Once you added the 40 lbs.

I gotta say that not only didn't I miss Paula (which isn't a shocker, I was glad she left), but the judging went a lot smoother without the incessant bickering and Simon finally got to finish his critiques.

Posted Image

So that guy fell out of a tree and broke both wrists?  I think it was really Moody and his gang of hoodlums.  Where's Adam Baldwin when you need him?
Posted Image

A couple more Separated at Births here:

http://home.comcast....son68/9/sab.htm

#40 of 668 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 14 2010 - 05:44 AM

Twelvehead girl reminded me of Star Trek alright...only I was thinking more in the line of Talosians.

I realize there will be many, many nicknames to come, but "Twelvehead Girl" is the best so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users